Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp
Nov 19, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #61 of 856
  NVM. Local Definitive Audio has one. FYI for those wanting to audition one in the Seattle area; they have the usual suspects to listen with (HD800, LCD3, OPPO-PM1), but not in balanced configuration.

Doesn't the Codex have the same kind of balanced connector scheme as the Pono player-- i.e., using a pair of  3.5 mm mini connectors?  I have my HD 650 wired up this way, so is very tempting to try them out with this..... but really should not be spending that much money before the approaching holiday season.  :)

Nov 19, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #62 of 856
Yes it does, I believe.  I plan to visit DA this weekend with my PONO balanced iems' and laptop. I'm looking for a desktop solution and the Codex seems to be a natural transition.  However, that Sony PHA-3 hasn't left my mind for consideration.

I agree, Christmas is all about giving.  Perhaps, I'll wait until the new year before considering myself as a recipient from myself!

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #63 of 856

Doesn't the Codex have the same kind of balanced connector scheme as the Pono player-- i.e., using a pair of  3.5 mm mini connectors?

Yes it does, I believe.  I plan to visit DA this weekend with my PONO balanced iems' and laptop.

Yes - twin 3.5 mm connectors. When you plug both of the jacks in the display will flash either 'Bal' or 'Shr'. If it's on 'Shr' just rotate it to 'Bal' and press the knob in once. The balanced LED should light up if everything's kosher. Don't leave anything plugged into the 1/4" jack when attempting to do this because it will stay in single-ended mode no matter what.

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #65 of 856
Guys, Do you kniw when can I purchse the Cdex online? Having trouble finding one.

In the past I have had good luck simply contacting one of the official brick & mortar dealers by email or phone.  I purchase with a credit card, and they've shipped to my location.  Was no more expensive than a typical online purchase... and actually more enjoyable.

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #66 of 856

Guys, Do you kniw when can I purchse the Cdex online? Having trouble finding one.

In the past I have had good luck simply contacting one of the official brick & mortar dealers by email or phone.  I purchase with a credit card, and they've shipped to my location.  Was no more expensive than a typical online purchase... and actually more enjoyable.

Thanks for the advice, will wait for more reviews before making the decision.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #67 of 856
  Yes it does, I believe.  I plan to visit DA this weekend with my PONO balanced iems' and laptop. I'm looking for a desktop solution and the Codex seems to be a natural transition.  However, that Sony PHA-3 hasn't left my mind for consideration.

I agree, Christmas is all about giving.  Perhaps, I'll wait until the new year before considering myself as a recipient from myself!

@alpha421, did you make it to Definitive Audio last weekend?  If so, any thoughts, positive or negative?

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #69 of 856
Man I've had my codex for about 2 months now and all I can say is it's amazing it does sound a bit terrible when u get it out the box so I really suggest doing at least 50 hrs burn in time but it jus really sounds amazing I had the audeze lcd3 with razor for about a year now and when I finally got the chance to buy a norne audio cable with dual 3.5mm connectors for balanced listening I was amazed it bought life back to my system I decided about 2 days ago I would try single ended 1/4 connector for a day but I couldn't do it. Yes I understand my post is poorly written but I just had to say it I'm very pleased with the codex and I hope you guys put this piece of equipment high on your "list" because it's really good

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #70 of 856
Man I've had my codex for about 2 months now and all I can say is it's amazing it does sound a bit terrible when u get it out the box so I really suggest doing at least 50 hrs burn in time but it jus really sounds amazing I had the audeze lcd3 with razor for about a year now and when I finally got the chance to buy a norne audio cable with dual 3.5mm connectors for balanced listening I was amazed it bought life back to my system I decided about 2 days ago I would try single ended 1/4 connector for a day but I couldn't do it. Yes I understand my post is poorly written but I just had to say it I'm very pleased with the codex and I hope you guys put this piece of equipment high on your "list" because it's really good

Thanks, eddprzz.  So it sounds like -- to really squeeze the magic out -- one had best go with balanced operation.  Am I reading you right?

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #71 of 856
Thanks, eddprzz.  So it sounds like -- to really squeeze the magic out -- one had best go with balanced operation.  Am I reading you right?
You are completely right. In my opinion when you buy the codex it's the only way to run your headphones when you have the option to run it balanced it jus makes the difference.

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #73 of 856
So I was finally able to visit my local Definitive Audio(DF) toy land to test out the Codex.  I spent about an hour there. I brought my PONO for comparison and my two earphones (both PONO balanced - Aurisonics ASG1plus and Yuin PK1 earbuds).  I understand that the PONO design was ported over to some degree in the Codex but greatly enhanced in every conceivable way.  The Codex setup was connected to some Sonos server and the only track they had in queue that I was interested in listening to was the lossless Eagles track, "Hotel California."  The Codex does have a rather small footprint.  The chassis looks like a generic Hammond type case with the custom front plate, and the dial control was pretty intuitive.

I listened to this track three times from start to finish.  Then swapped to my PONO player listening to the same track twice before going back to the Codex and listening to the same track again twice. You can probably guess that between the Codex and PONO, the two don't belong even remotely close in the same class. This can be said to pretty much any DAP and desktop amp/DAC combo. What I like about my PONO is its smooth yet detailed sound that is pleasingly analog to my ears but without sounding too warm. Despite sharing the same genes if you will, the Codex was exceptionally smooth and the biggest difference between the two is in spatial space and cues that contributed to very realistic and holographic sound experience.  If you ever listened to a track where all the sound sources (voices, instruments, audience..etc)  sounds like it's coming from the right position with the right depth and width in relation to each other and within the confined venue space, this is what the Codex brought to my ears.

My PONO is my only experience with Ayre and from what I've read about them and their products, they do seem to have their own philosophical approach. I was told by the DF salesman that Ayre never discounts or goes on sale, and the Codex is the cheapest product they sell.  I must admit, I was tempted to pull out my credit card and suck up the $2K price tag (taxes included), but I'm not prepared nor willing to deal with my spouse's wrath.  In end, the Codex is definitely on my wish list and if two grand ever falls on my lap or finds its way to my bank account, my desktop end-game will finally come to an end (pun intended).

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #74 of 856
  So I was finally able to visit my local Definitive Audio(DF) toy land to test out the Codex.  I spent about an hour there. I brought my PONO for comparison and my two earphones (both PONO balanced - Aurisonics ASG1plus and Yuin PK1 earbuds).  I understand that the PONO design was ported over to some degree in the Codex but greatly enhanced in every conceivable way.  The Codex setup was connected to some Sonos server and the only track they had in queue that I was interested in listening to was the lossless Eagles track, "Hotel California."  The Codex does have a rather small footprint.  The chassis looks like a generic Hammond type case with the custom front plate, and the dial control was pretty intuitive.

I listened to this track three times from start to finish.  Then swapped to my PONO player listening to the same track twice before going back to the Codex and listening to the same track again twice. You can probably guess that between the Codex and PONO, the two don't belong even remotely close in the same class. This can be said to pretty much any DAP and desktop amp/DAC combo. What I like about my PONO is its smooth yet detailed sound that is pleasingly analog to my ears but without sounding too warm. Despite sharing the same genes if you will, the Codex was exceptionally smooth and the biggest difference between the two is in spatial space and cues that contributed to very realistic and holographic sound experience.  If you ever listened to a track where all the sound sources (voices, instruments, audience..etc)  sounds like it's coming from the right position with the right depth and width in relation to each other and within the confined venue space, this is what the Codex brought to my ears.

My PONO is my only experience with Ayre and from what I've read about them and their products, they do seem to have their own philosophical approach. I was told by the DF salesman that Ayre never discounts or goes on sale, and the Codex is the cheapest product they sell.  I must admit, I was tempted to pull out my credit card and suck up the $2K price tag (taxes included), but I'm not prepared nor willing to deal with my spouse's wrath.  In end, the Codex is definitely on my wish list and if two grand ever falls on my lap or finds its way to my bank account, my desktop end-game will finally come to an end (pun intended).

Thanks for writing up your experience, @alpha421.  It sounds like it passed the test! 

If I go, I'll probably bring my balanced HD 650 to audition.  And I think I'll follow your lead and bring along the pono player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back