Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp
Jul 21, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #31 of 856
  I listened to the Codex driving a pair of HD800's through what looked like a custom cable at the recent Head-Fi meet. I admit I'm a headphone noob, but I heard things in "So What" (the opening track to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue), I'd never heard before, and I've listened that track at least a hundred times. Never knew the bass was sustaining that long. The pair is now my dream rig. EDIT: Oh, and I was quoted a price of $1795.

Was it the Cardas balanced, two 1/8" stereo plugs?  I only got to hear it with a single ended cable, but Alex at Ayre swears the balanced cable makes a fairly remarkable difference.  They are supposedly going to start shipping at the end of the month.  Right now, there are only about ten units out there in select dealers hands.

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #33 of 856

Was it the Cardas balanced, two 1/8" stereo plugs?  I only got to hear it with a single ended cable, but Alex at Ayre swears the balanced cable makes a fairly remarkable difference.  They are supposedly going to start shipping at the end of the month.  Right now, there are only about ten units out there in select dealers hands.

Yeah, two 1/8" stereo plugs in balanced mode; I'm assuming the cable is a custom job. I actually asked him to switch to single ended mode so I could check with my ATH-A900's to see if it was a different recording, and it was the same version that I am very familiar with. Amazing setup, and was the best one in that price range that I listened to at the meet.

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #34 of 856

Yeah, two 1/8" stereo plugs in balanced mode; I'm assuming the cable is a custom job. I actually asked him to switch to single ended mode so I could check with my ATH-A900's to see if it was a different recording, and it was the same version that I am very familiar with. Amazing setup, and was the best one in that price range that I listened to at the meet.

It's custom in so much as Cardas changed the usual balanced connector to two 1/8" plugs.  Other than that it's the Cardas "Cross" headphone cable made for the HD-600 & 650s.  They will terminate it any way you need for the same price--at least that's what they told me when I asked.

Link is here: http://www.cardas.com/headphone_cable.php

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #35 of 856
  It's custom in so much as Cardas changed the usual balanced connector to two 1/8" plugs.  Other than that it's the Cardas "Cross" headphone cable made for the HD-600 & 650s.  They will terminate it any way you need for the same price--at least that's what they told me when I asked.

Link is here: http://www.cardas.com/headphone_cable.php

Thanks! Now I just need to find a stack of thirty or so hundred dollar bills hiding in the closet. I'm sure there's one in there somewhere...

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #36 of 856

Yeah, I'm sure that's what it is.  

"
The Codex ($1795) is a DAC/headphone amp that uses the basic design of the Pono—ESS9018K2M DAC chip and discrete analog output circuit—but beefs it up with a much better analog power supply and superior components in many places.​
"

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/axpona-2015-ayre-acoustics-codex-headphone-ampdac#jU8cmDOAZs6ffRAA.97

Did you get input on what are the "superior components"?

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #37 of 856

"
The Codex ($1795) is a DAC/headphone amp that uses the basic design of the Pono—ESS9018K2M DAC chip and discrete analog output circuit—but beefs it up with a much better analog power supply and superior components in many places.​
"

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/axpona-2015-ayre-acoustics-codex-headphone-ampdac#jU8cmDOAZs6ffRAA.97

Did you get input on what are the "superior components"?

Nope.  But I have heard it, rather than just making assumptions on the internet. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #38 of 856
Im just trying to remember if I saw the Codex will have the mobile version of the sabre chip just like the PONO. I know the amp takes the most power benefits but seems odd to use the mobile chip in a desktop unit. Again, saving time and releasing earlier than if they had to implement the desktop sabre chip> I don't know, maybe the Mobile version isn't much different performance wise. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #39 of 856
I have ordered the codex amp well over 6 weeks ago, unfortunately it is close to impossible to receive an update about the shipping status from ayre, I have not been able to receive any word at all, and this after several phone call ( there preferred method of comunication. 
Is anyone out here who has some information about the release schedule?

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #40 of 856
Well, if you ordered six weeks ago you actually pre-ordered--the unit wasn't available yet.  I've had no problem getting hold of Alex at Ayre, they were supposed to start shipping last week but it wouldn't stun me if they are off by a couple of more weeks.  Charles likes to tinker right up until the release.

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #42 of 856
I had one at my store about 6 weeks ago for final testing. When they were ready to begin production a supplier was backordered on a part. Before the part finally came in Ayre had come up with some changes. Not sure yet if it was hardware, software or both.

I got in the first finalized production unit  on Friday. I was very impressed with my original sample, but the new one is sick, even before being broken in. I don't generally listen to headphones at the store, but right now I am playing a CD rip of Modern Cool with the Audeze LCD3 and am hoping there are no customers or phone calls for the next hour or two.

And, yes, balanced is much better.

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #43 of 856
Scott, this sounds really promising.
I am happly to wait a bit in order to receive improved equipment. 
I understand that Ayre has standards, and that the company will not realize an amp that is short of all the potentials.
I own LCD3's myself, I really liked the pairing of the Codex and the phones in the store.
Have you upgraded your cables?

Sep 21, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #44 of 856
Just the standard cables. in fact the whole setup was done with no care as the intent was just to use it for breaking in the Codex.

I'm using  my very slow work computer loaded with business apps playing AIFF CD Rips with Foobar. The USB cable is the generic version supplied with the Codex using the same buss as the keyboard and mouse. The Audeze cables are standard, using a $100 Transparent Audio adaptor to fit the 3.5mm  connections on on the Codex. All this is sitting on a glass display case with fluorescent lighting and no power conditioning.

In the next few days we'll probably move it to one of our sound rooms and evaluate it just as a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back