Awful listening room--with a loud fridge.
Sep 1, 2018 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

AthenaZephyrian

100+ Head-Fier
I'm stuck in a privately run dorm room...and the desk is adjacent to a full-sized fridge. I can't just throw the fridge away, as it is the proprietor's property, so I have to deal with an annoying pink noise all the bloody time. I usually don't listen to my music very loud, but i have to turn it up here, to deal with the fridge. Forget balanced cables and low THD, my soundspace is contaminated by external problems.

The worst part? I use open-back cans. I'm thinking of buying acoustic foam and stuffing it around the fridge to dampen the hum.

Please send help

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 27
Soooo... how about closed cans ... which are kinda made for this?

Do Stax come in closed varieties? I’d also miss the soundstage. And the bass is usually boomier

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 27
Do you use the refrigerator? Unplug it? The compressor and condenser fan are in the back on the bottom so enclosing that area first, preferably something non flammable, maybe dynamat and dynaliner.

Also acoustic foam on the wall behind the fridge could help reduce reflective sound.

Mrspeakers alpha primes sound very open :)

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 27
I'm stuck in a privately run dorm room...and the desk is adjacent to a full-sized fridge. I can't just throw the fridge away, as it is the proprietor's property, so I have to deal with an annoying pink noise all the bloody time. I usually don't listen to my music very loud, but i have to turn it up here, to deal with the fridge. Forget balanced cables and low THD, my soundspace is contaminated by external problems.

The worst part? I use open-back cans. I'm thinking of buying acoustic foam and stuffing it around the fridge to dampen the hum.

Please send help
It's interesting how some refrigerators make loud noise when it kicks in others don't. My current refrigerator isn't loud interestingly, but at my last place, the refrigerator was noticeably loud, and I think it was on the brink of giving out. Perhaps yours will croak soon as well. LOL. Or it could also be that you have your temp set too low (you can look into that)?

It really sucks when you have something making loud noise (window unit air-conditioners which is another, but quite obnoxious example), and you prefer to use open-backs. Particularly, a STAX...

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 27
'm thinking of buying acoustic foam and stuffing it around the fridge to dampen the hum.
I think you have the right idea. Perhaps you can make a barrier (to direct it in another direction) with sound dampening material like a wall blocking toward your direction. I'm not an expert on this stuff, so maybe somebody can give you specific guidelines. LOL.

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 27
Sep 1, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 27
Sep 1, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 27
ZMF Headphones has your back

And they look amazing. I really gotta get some kind of income going so I can spend all my money on headphones. I'm thinking recapping old units for people, or recapping+refreshing diodes and resistors, then reselling vintage energizers.

I love the look of the Auteur. It's probably next on my list of high-end cans to grab....if I don't get the Ori. I love planars, but the Auteur looks soooo sweet. It'd go beautifully with my steampunked Little Dot... but I'd have to get a better unit and steampunk that, given the Auteur's specs and quality.

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #13 of 27
I suggest a Mr.Speakers Aeon Flow Closed. I did a review of them on my Youtube channel(link in signature). I found their tonality superb,with a lot of air,and very nice staging for a closed back.
My only complaint on them was a lack of texture and slam,but since you seem hellbent on an e-stat that shouldnt be too big of an issue.

EDIT: Im also a huge ZMF fan,but to get the most out of them one needs a high $ amp. Reading thru some of your other posts it seems your budget is tight. The AFC sounds good from the Mojo on up,and prolly as good with less than the Mojo as well.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 27
I suggest a Mr.Speakers Aeon Flow Closed. I did a review of them on my Youtube channel(link in signature). I found their tonality superb,with a lot of air,and very nice staging for a closed back.
My only complaint on them was a lack of texture and slam,but since you seem hellbent on an e-stat that shouldnt be too big of an issue.

I'll give 'em a good look. A bit on the pricey side, given that I'm also looking at a new DAC...but they'll probably be up there on my list of possible can purchases for next summer, when I have time for a job.

Sep 1, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #15 of 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back