AVGuide hates usb
Sep 17, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #46 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my favorite part is "And for videos, see startling new color and detail."

are you serious? lol

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #47 of 77
For those screaming they can tell the difference between cables or gear x, y, and z. We don't care if you're a believer or not . . . instead we care that you're able to prove you're able to. Yes, prove, not expect us to take your word for it.

Without that your arguments are as hallow as a wiki fact stuck with [citation needed]. It's really that simple.

EDIT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby
Lots of gobbledygook here but the sistrum rack actually does sound good

That's a really poorly made rack if you can hear it. Jesus, can't they assemble anything properly anymore without it rattling?

Sep 17, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #48 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mind pointing out two or three? I have listened to lots of dacs at home and at meets and have not found one yet. But then again, I have not heard all dacs.

I wouldn't mind, but if you've heard lots of DACs at meets and at home and haven't yet found another that is quiet, clean and flat, there wouldn't be much point in pointing.

p

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #49 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't mind, but if you've heard lots of DACs at meets and at home and haven't yet found another that is quiet, clean and flat, there wouldn't be much point in pointing.

p

humor me.................RMAF is coming up and I need another DAC for my office, I would be glad to seek out the 2 or 3 you recommend and give them a listen. Many thanks in advance.

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #50 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you serious? lol

well yeah! better colorimetry, sharper picture, better sound....all that from a piece of wood and 4 brass cones
kukron.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #51 of 77
I tried one for watching video's and it did seem to help, but it made my butt go numb before the movie was over. Am I doing something wrong?

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #52 of 77
Quote:

There are plenty of less expensive DACs that are audibly as good as the Benchmark, and quite a few that even measure as good.

I'd be interested you see your list. And how do you know that these other DAC's measure equivalently? What specific factors are being measured?

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #53 of 77
Quote:

There are plenty of less expensive DACs that are audibly as good as the Benchmark, and quite a few that even measure as good.

P

I also would be interested in knowing which DAC's you referring to.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #54 of 77
I'm not talking about anything even remotely unusual, gents. Try the Apogee Duet. The Cambridge DAC Magic. Even the humble E-MU 0404. Set up a blind test for yourself and listen with your expectations disengaged. Are there differences? Maybe. But they are exceedingly small.

Even the Wolfson DAC that is built into my active speakers, along with pre amp and amplifiers, for not much more than the cost of a Benchmark DAC1/Pre has very similar measurements and sound. Which is a lack of sound. The Benchmark is totally unremarkable, which is, of course, why it is so remarkable. Transparency rules. Give me my color at the transducers, where it is unavoidable anyway.

P

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #55 of 77
Quote:

Give me my color at the transducers, where it is unavoidable anyway.

P

Most headphones (even dynamic) have under 1% distortion anyway. When you get to speakers most dynamics have increasingly large distortion, at which time switching to a planar brings it back down to around that 1% level at a cost.

Yes, there is such a thing as an audibly transparent system
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #56 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most headphones (even dynamic) have under 1% distortion anyway. When you get to speakers most dynamics have increasingly large distortion, at which time switching to a planar brings it back down to around that 1% level at a cost.

Yes, there is such a thing as an audibly transparent system
wink.gif

You can lose most of that distortion, and get the dynamics (and then some) back, by switching to well-executed active systems. Passive crossovers and a general lack of good driver control are the bane of many an expensive speaker system. Good active implementation is the cure.

P

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #57 of 77
Quote:

I'm not talking about anything even remotely unusual, gents. Try the Apogee Duet. The Cambridge DAC Magic. Even the humble E-MU 0404. Set up a blind test for yourself and listen with your expectations disengaged. Are there differences? Maybe. But they are exceedingly small.

The Benchmark is totally unremarkable, which is, of course, why it is so remarkable. Transparency rules. Give me my color at the transducers, where it is unavoidable anyway.

P

Would you consider the Lavry DA10 and Stello DA100 transparent as well?

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #58 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you consider the Lavry DA10 and Stello DA100 transparent as well?

I don't know much about the Stello. From what know about the Lavry, yes, I would expect it to be very quiet and neutral.

P

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #60 of 77
short answer: if the usb audio device has ANY buffer at all to it, the cable won't make any diff at all.

if you are pushing data real-time to the usb device, well, you already have a problem with design
wink.gif
buffering IS the key to most jitter problems. today's dacs have deeper buffers and usb most certainly has a buffer (has to).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back