Jan 31, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #256 of 270
I probably have said this, but I'll say it again: Humans should have won. The whole thing is 'Nam again. Trees, natives, choppers, anyone? Yes, Earth in the movie is a bit FUBAR but where's the Army? Humans got interstellar travelling technology, cryostatis and whatnots but no orbital bombardment ships? It's one frickin' tree! Bomb 'em from the orbit with napalm and/or thermobarics. Of course James Cameron wanted the "correct ethics and morals" thing, so the Humans should know better if (when) we need to mine another planet one day. Bomb first, no matter what. We lost in 'Nam because we didn't bomb enough. Try having a Na'vi (or a VC) facing an incoming fleet of B-52's and see how many arrows he can fire off.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #257 of 270
This is a great movie when you think of the flaws of mankind it shows; however there are some parts of the movie which made the movie somewhat cheesy. Firstly, it is unclear how the outer space people know english, then there were those usual love issues, and the bad guy who does not like the lead character. I mean, we are tired of watching this same love thing over and over, could have done something different and cooler you know.

Also, the movie would be a super duper hit if the humans won, in that case it would properly display the evil of men, and the sorrow they bestow upon others.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #258 of 270
I fell asleep.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #259 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by InFn-0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is unclear how the outer space people know english

There is precedent from many previous science fiction movies where they all spoke English, must be a school in outer space
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #260 of 270
Feb 2, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #261 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bad part of the movie, they did not show how the red dragon get slaved. It must be very intense

No kidding! I was looking forward to it since the Na'Vi mentioned the legend. Such an obvious plot point, and we didn't get to see it.

More flying lizard wrestling in Avatar II - Feeling Blue please!

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #262 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by miloxo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you had paid attention, you would knew that Grace actually had a school on Pandora...
smile_phones.gif

Great article: ‘Avatar is real’, say tribal people - Survival International

Going too see Avatar for the 4th time this Friday
biggrin.gif

Yep, avatar may not be "based on a true story", but such things happen(ed) in real life. Remember when the British came and took over the Aztecs/Mayans? It was the same story altogether. It is the other way around probably, I think the person who made the movie was inspired by what is happening in reality, and then made the movie.

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #263 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by InFn-0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember when the British came and took over the Aztecs/Mayans?

No, I don't...
I do remember some Spanyards doing something like what you mention however...

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #264 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by ca95f /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I don't...
I do remember some Spanyards doing something like what you mention however...

biggrin.gif

The Brits had their share of colonisation, too. Though their biggest loss wasn't exactly to the natives.
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't read too much into Avatar. It was one of the finest popcorn movies I've seen - right up there with Star Wars, which shouldn't be taken too seriously, either. To throw some accelerant on that, I thought the prequels were pretty good popcorn movies, too.

Sometimes, entertainment for the sake of entertainment is incredible. I'm already looking forward to Avatar II; it begs for a sequel.

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #265 of 270
It's not just about entertainment.
I'm fed up with all those "intellectuals" bashing the movie, just because it was a massive hit. Think about it.
"Citizen Kane" and "Casablanca" were great movies, I agree. But in the end of they day, one has to wonder what movies had the most profound effect on our society and our way of life. "Citizen Kane" or "Star Trek"? You don't need to think twice about it, of course it was "Star Trek".
Critics hated every single Sci-Fi movie (except 2001: A Space Odyssey), but after a couple of decades, they call them "classics" and give them the recognition they deserve.

Avatar is an impressive movie visually. The story is not that deep I agree, but it does it's job. It gave the message loud and clear. And unlike some deeply uncomprehensive "quality" artistic movie, it gave it to many millions of people...

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #266 of 270
I completely agree with 3602

The movie would have been a lot better if the humans dragged that guy in a wheelchair kicking and screaming back to earth. With a new pair of legs, of course, while annihilating the smurfs in the process. Why? It will provoke a stronger reaction, make a lot more sense, prove to not be another cliché and shave off an unnecessary hour.

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #267 of 270
when i first saw Avatar, it was a very engrossing experience.
and, at the time, i attributed most of that to the 3D...

but, i saw it again just the other night on HBO, and it was just as absorbing. 
great movie!!

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #269 of 270
Not unbelievable at all. No movie had such extensive marketing campaign. They could use new technology to get people to the cinema and Cameron has quite a track record.
Question is it the most profitable movie ever or did the marketing campaign and production cost eat up to much :)

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #270 of 270
I love this movie in blu ray. Really a great movie to see over and over to get ready for Avatar 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back