Jan 27, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #241 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I still wasnt impressed with this defense, since I think much of the body motion was also captured in the LOTR trilogy just as Cameron did it (body suits with little dots capturing the actors movement).

I don't need to defend anything- I have nothing to do with either Avatar or LOTR. It is not true that "much of the body motion was also captured in the LOTR trilogy just as Cameron did it". The same company Weta Digital worked on both films. The mo cap technology was not nearly as advanced when they were making LOTR. Motion capture footage had to be heavily touched up to become usable. I already mentioned that most of the good scenes were done entirely by hand from scratch. Fast forward to Avatar, mo cap worked so much better. Body movement could be captured well but facial expressions were still a problem. James Cameron in different interviews suggested that facial acting could be tranferred automatically (check out the HBO making-of)but there were people who worked on the film said a lot of the facial footage had to be re-worked. It is up to you what and who you want to believe.
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #242 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not read the whole thread to post this, so don't shoot me. I have problem with their issued glasses. The threater never turn off the lights completely, and created glare over my vision.

Bingo! Me, too. Bugged the hell out of me. I also kept seeing the reflection of my own eye on the inside of the glasses. Hm, maybe we could start a business here of QUALITY 3D glasses for the discriminating viewer.

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #243 of 270
LOL, don't forget the Special Ten-Year Anniversary Edition Director's Cuts with never-before seen deleted scenes, in New-and-Improved Crystallo-Holographic 4d Max Def™!

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a given...

First is LOTR bluray this winter.

2 years later the extended versions

then the 3d LOTR bluray of course

then the 3d LOTR extended bluray

Then they will probably release a 4D LOTR later on as well.

Wonder how much money Miramax made on that series already with all their releases
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #244 of 270
Quote:

Bingo! Me, too. Bugged the hell out of me. I also kept seeing the reflection of my own eye on the inside of the glasses. Hm, maybe we could start a business here of QUALITY 3D glasses for the discriminating viewer.

I think that's the difference between now and the 1950's; Gucci's all over it:
3d.jpg

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #245 of 270
I just saw the IMAX version and did not like it. The screen is too big and the glasses suck. The images and motions were too blurred for me.

The movie is great. It's very very predictable and the casting is horrible, but the blue people and the jungle make up for everything. I must admit that 3D makes it a much more involving experience. The female na'vi (or however you spell it) were all believable and cool characters, which is unique since they're animated.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #247 of 270
Loved it. Yes, the plot was predictable, but the 3D immersion was incredible. I love the fact that it created non-cheesy depth and I really felt like I was part of that world. The animation wasn't that bad either.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #248 of 270
Quote:

Next stop, the HOLODECK!

I'd buy that for a dollar!
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #249 of 270
Quote:

Hm, maybe we could start a business here of QUALITY 3D glasses for the discriminating viewer.

Someone already beat us on that one.
3D Glasses - Paper & Plastic 3D Glasses

But the glasses at threater both side color are the same. Looks like they use some kind coating. They don't look like regular 3D glasses

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #250 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love that red dragon, very bad a*s. I am looking forward to capture one myself

That training sequence with the subsequent chase was my favorite part of the movie. To me, the blue people still weren't quite photo realistic but darn if those flying lizards weren't. As I watched, my thoughts became, "we are finally there," where CGI is concerned.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #252 of 270
double

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #253 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by miloxo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
James Cameron said hes going to make an Avatar Trilogy. Damn, I cant wait till the new Avatar movies are coming!

Avatar III, join the Na'vi from your own link station in 2030!

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #254 of 270
As I understand it most clear, non red/blue 3D is done with polerized lens. The way they are placed is one side the lines are facing up and down then the otherside they are right and left. The film has one frame right and left and the other side up and down. your brain is seeing right left sides so fast it puts them together and the effect of 3D is made. A test for this is to take the movie glasses apart if you were to cross both lens at a point they would block out all light. This is how LCD screens work too. Every LCD watch screen works off of polerized lens and is why when you look at them with polerized glases you get something which has rainbow colors. This effect is called bifringence.

In the old days the way they would shoot 3D is have two cameras and the footage would be put toether with one eye the blue eye and one the red side eye. the brain puts the sides together and you get 3D.

I do not know how Real-3D works now and maybe someone can chime in if they know. It does use polerizing filters but when I took the glasses apart I do not remember a perfect right left, up down configuration.

In school we learned that to do 3D you could shoot the film with two cameras and a polerizer lens on each side of the cameras, or project them onto a bight silver screen which was so reflective it would reflect the polerized lines. it may be true now that they use another way. We now have circular polerizers too. Maybe one side is lines and one side is circles. This way woud seem more easy to not get messed up. Hopfully someone here can fil us in on 3D in the digital age.

My experience has only been with old fashion 3D photography where we had the images side by side and did not use polerizing but the natural way of the mind mixing both sides together to get 3D perspective.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #255 of 270
I watched it in IMAX 3D at Spectrum Irvine. It was a great experience. I might watch it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back