Avantone : Pro Planar
Dec 22, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #1,381 of 1,500
Screenshot_20221223_064602_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
This is my eq. Are you able to adjust your Q value?
Doesn’t seem to allow me to adjust Q value :). Maybe this app is useless. Do you know of an IOS app that works better yet also supports Qobuz. Otherwise I’ll need an
Android DAP I can connect to my DAC via USB and use the app you are using there. Any recommendations for a DAP that’ll do this that doesn’t cost the earth?

Dec 28, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #1,382 of 1,500
Doesn’t seem to allow me to adjust Q value :). Maybe this app is useless. Do you know of an IOS app that works better yet also supports Qobuz. Otherwise I’ll need an
Android DAP I can connect to my DAC via USB and use the app you are using there. Any recommendations for a DAP that’ll do this that doesn’t cost the earth?
Unfortunately I don't know. I never have used IOS. But I can have a look around 😊

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #1,383 of 1,500
Aren't those the values in the righthand column...?

Feb 24, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #1,385 of 1,500
got mine yesterday and i am more than impressed.
The planars i owned or had brief listening sessions with were: Oppo PM1/2, Audece LCD 2f, LCD 3f, LCD-i3, LCD XC, Audeze sine, Oppo PM3, Hifiman Edition X v2, T+A Solitair P and P-SE.
And here comes the twist, the Avantone has the greatest soundstage i ever encountert not only speaking planars but also dynamics. Wish i would have the hd800s at hand right now for an A/B comparo, and i am shure the senni will win, but than it comes to everything else and i see the avatone winning here. besides my Fiio EM5 these are the only headphones that i do not have the feeling the sound is coming out of the cups but is just floating in the air.
frequenzy response is all i ever dreamed of. this thing is a very much underrated piece of kit.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #1,387 of 1,500
The planars i owned or head brief listening sessions with were: Oppo PM1/2, Audece LCD 2f, LCD 3f, LCD-i3, LCD XC, Audeze sine, Oppo PM3, Hifiman Edition X v2, T+A Solitair P and P-SE.
And here comes the twist, the Avantone has the greatest soundstage i ever encountert not only speaking planars but also dynamics. Wish i would have the hd800s at hand right now for an A/B comparo, and i am shure the senni will win, but than it comes to everything else and i see the avatone winning here. besides my Fiio EM5 these are the only headphones that i do not have the feeling the sound is coming out of the cups but is just floating in the air.
frequenzy response is all i ever dreamed of. this thing is a very much underrated piece of kit.
Interesting feedback given the nice headphone collection you have... I should probably keep mine and try to upgrade the pads to leather (the stock pads sound a bit soft in the low end for my tastes). It's true they have a very open sound in stock form. Their design remind a lot of old school Stax.

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #1,388 of 1,500
The planars i owned or head brief listening sessions with were: Oppo PM1/2, Audece LCD 2f, LCD 3f, LCD-i3, LCD XC, Audeze sine, Oppo PM3, Hifiman Edition X v2, T+A Solitair P and P-SE.
That's great to hear. A lot of those headphones you listed are much more expensive than the Avantones, so it's fascinating to hear that you enjoy the avantones more.
One thing i am curious about is how these compare to the Audeze LCD 2's since people seem to report similar characteristics with the two.

Feb 26, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #1,389 of 1,500
First of, many thanks to all the contributors to this thread who helped to convey an impression of these headphones!

Has anyone had the chance to compare it to the Edition XS? It seems to be the direct competitor in price and performance nowadays, rather then the Sundara.

I am considering the Planars, but one thing that keeps me is the availability of replacement ear pads in my region. Has anyone figured out what to do in Europe (or Germany) when the stock pads are failing?

Power will be a second issue I believe. Currently I am running an UMC202HD which seemingly outputs 18mW into 32 Ohms which is plenty headroom in terms of loudness (knob at 30% or so) to me usually. From what I have read regarding power requirements, I should have to plan for getting something like the K7 or DX3 Pro+ instead.

To turn this into a more general direction: I actually prefer to listen as quiet as possible. Would you say the Planars are a good choice for this or should I eyeball something else instead?

Thanks again for your time reading this.

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #1,390 of 1,500
First of, many thanks to all the contributors to this thread who helped to convey an impression of these headphones!

Has anyone had the chance to compare it to the Edition XS? It seems to be the direct competitor in price and performance nowadays, rather then the Sundara.

I am considering the Planars, but one thing that keeps me is the availability of replacement ear pads in my region. Has anyone figured out what to do in Europe (or Germany) when the stock pads are failing?

Power will be a second issue I believe. Currently I am running an UMC202HD which seemingly outputs 18mW into 32 Ohms which is plenty headroom in terms of loudness (knob at 30% or so) to me usually. From what I have read regarding power requirements, I should have to plan for getting something like the K7 or DX3 Pro+ instead.

To turn this into a more general direction: I actually prefer to listen as quiet as possible. Would you say the Planars are a good choice for this or should I eyeball something else instead?

Thanks again for your time reading this.
Hello, i have the answer to two of your questions.

For new pads i believe you could contact avantone and see if they would ship them to you as they do make replacements, that is one option
Another option is to get "Acoustic Research AR-H1 Earpads" which are the perfect shape for the avantones, but they will change the sound a bit and you would need to glue velcro on them so they can fit on the Planars.

About power, in my experience these are easy to power but do need an amp of some kind to get them loud enough. It wouldn't hurt to get a more powerful amp for these because they do like power. These do sound alright at low volumes but this is the kind of headphone that sounds noticabley better at higher volumes. The soundstage becomes much wider and the bass frequencies become more perceivable.

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #1,391 of 1,500
I am very interested in this product, however it makes me doubt the possible quality controls, does anyone know if they have already been fixed?

My favorite Headphone were the LCD X pre-fazor of 2019, a sound with extreme body and very advanced mids, from what I read in the thread these avantone are similar.

I have a mstage hpa1 matrix, I hope I can move them well, I think that at 300 ohms they give 250 mw.

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,392 of 1,500
wow, sounds very promising, could you share more impressions please?

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #1,393 of 1,500
I am very interested in this product, however it makes me doubt the possible quality controls, does anyone know if they have already been fixed?

My favorite Headphone were the LCD X pre-fazor of 2019, a sound with extreme body and very advanced mids, from what I read in the thread these avantone are similar.

I have a mstage hpa1 matrix, I hope I can move them well, I think that at 300 ohms they give 250 mw.
It doesn’t seem like the design has changed. If you’re careful they won’t break but I’ll put money on that they will. WAY earlier in this thread someone designed a replacement part for the headband and from my experience it worked great.

Feb 27, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #1,394 of 1,500
Current Avantone Planar have steel straps. The problem has been fixed for at least a year. The headphone is now very robust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back