Avantone : Pro Planar
Feb 9, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #841 of 1,500
Was the low rumble and were the pressence cues (slapping, echoes) the same in Spotify as in Tidal? I felt that it wasn’t, like it was morphed or filtered away to an extend, hence my question to you. It isn’t all that important unless you try to save on subscription costs.
I think it was similar in terms of frequency response, I just thought it sounded a bit more effortless overall on Tidal, but I'm always cautious when trying to spot such minor differences, it might as well be placebo effect...

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #842 of 1,500
which song is it lacking?
The live version of “Good Mystery - Amber Rubarth”, compared with the album version. Also the Spotify mp3-compressed version is lacking a bit of the pressence compared to the Tidal version, probably. I began to wonder if Spotify has a high-pass filter around 20Hz. [you only clearly hear the rumbles with the Planars bass boosted]

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #843 of 1,500
5C7A7D56-256F-42F7-8CE3-BBD80888E023.jpeg

Here’s the final result.

Feb 9, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #845 of 1,500
Right now I have the modded velour pads attached and they sound great. Very full sounding and fast.

All in all, I'd say my modded APs are pretty spectrally balanced though slightly bright. The sub-bass is my favorite part, it's so present yet not overbearing. Bass guitars feel like they've been reinvited into the mix but, not in every song. This headphone thumps when called for.

Vocals sometimes feel within or slightly behind the mix but other times (modern pop songs) they're at the front.

What are some songs that y'all would like me to listen to and give feedback on?

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #846 of 1,500
Right now I have the modded velour pads attached and they sound great. Very full sounding and fast.

All in all, I'd say my modded APs are pretty spectrally balanced though slightly bright. The sub-bass is my favorite part, it's so present yet not overbearing. Bass guitars feel like they've been reinvited into the mix but, not in every song. This headphone thumps when called for.

Vocals sometimes feel within or slightly behind the mix but other times (modern pop songs) they're at the front.

Tje Stanley Clarke album East River Dr. I know it's not sub bass but has a lot of slam.

Feb 9, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #847 of 1,500

I can't think of anything specific since anything I throw at the Avantone simply just sounds right :ksc75smile: It's one of these headphones where I can stop analyzing every flaw and focus on music. I love rediscovering old tunes with it because they sound just as I remembered them, except that I never heard them sounding this good!

A couple of fun tunes I like to test specific technicalities:
For soundstage: Lenny Kravitz - Believe in me
For speed: Crystal castles - Black panther
For treble: Daft Punk - Short circuit (the last part is a delicious wreck)
For bass impact: Motorcycle - As the rush comes
For stupid bass: Lil baby - Southside

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #848 of 1,500

I think a great song for testing both high and low end is Savant by Solar Fields. Really the first ~4 minutes will do just fine.

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #849 of 1,500

Agnes Obel - Riverside
Chris Jones - Long After You're gone
Heilung - Norupo
Motorhead - Sympathy For The Devil
The Prodigy - Breathe
And one that I won't say the name of the band but search this song. - Apage Satana.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #852 of 1,500
I've been wanting to make this diagram for a while now

This is to help me help you visualize soundstage as I perceive it. Below is the blank diagram.

Soundstage Diagram.jpg

And here is the Avantone Planar's soundstage as I perceive it.

Soundstage Diagram - Avantone Planar.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #853 of 1,500
@HardstyleLoco96 Have you tested the Avantone with other good amps besides your SH9? I'm debating whether I should upgrade to a THX one or to something like a DX7 pro which might sound a little different. Detail is a plus but so are imaging and texture...
The DX7 is a great dac/amp. I have tried it, but not with the Avantone. It's great. I can't fault it. But I'd honestly rec something else. For very similar money, you could maybe grab yourself the SMSL SH-9 and SU-9 stack. Very similar features as the DX7 but you are getting more power and I do feel the SH9 has better detail retrieval. For textures and imaging. THX my friend. The only other proper amps I have tried the Avantone with is the SMSL M500 V2 which sounds great, it's less expansive and detailed than the SH9 and a bit more brighter sounding but I also do find it has a bit more bass impact while the SH9 has a more accurate and nuanced low end with much more detail. There is the Woo audio Fireflys that I used to own but have sold it. Great amp, but I think its to warm sounding for the Avantone Planar. It does have that very tube sound though but also is pricey. I was looking at the IFI Neo IDSD but don't know much of it, but it has great reviews and there also is the Schiit Magnius. It has a bit more power than the SH-9 but it's best to use it balanced as the single ended is not the best and the SH-9 has better performance when used single ended. But the Magnius has slightly better performance if used balanced. I use mostly single ended, yes I've used the Magnius and I did hear slightly more dynamics, slightly wider soundstage and a bit more bass slam. But I felt the SH-9 to have a bit better depth, smoother treble while still having the same amount of detail and imaging to be on par. I honestly prefered the smoother presentation of the SH-9. Another amp/dac you could check out is the RME-ADI. It's great, but the price might stop you, I'd only get it if I were to use much higher end headphones, and even then. I still feel the performance of my M500 + SH9 is high up there with the big players. It's great 😊. There's heaps of options, I'd say best thing is to follow your budget. But also think, is this an amp/dac I will further upgrade or will I have this for a good amount of years. For me, the M500 V2 was great. The price to performance was great. The DAC is as good as the SU-9. But it was the amp I wanted to upgrade. So I did and got myself the SH-9. I can't be more happier. I actually compared the SH-9 and M500 for a few hours. At first, going back to back. It was tricky telling the difference. Took me like 30 to 40 minutes to start picking out differences. After an 1 hour to 1 hour and 40 minutes. I started to hear much more differences. The low end was a little harder hitting on the M500, but the SH-9 was much more detailed and nuanced, the sub and mid bass were so much more seperated, I could really hear both of them doing their own thing. Textures also came out better in the SH-9. After 2 hours, I noticed treble being much more airy and smoother on the SH-9. The M500 felt a bit thin at times and detail was lacking compared to the SH-9. But then it was Led Zeppelin - Stairways to heaven that showed me the big difference. The M500 sounded great, really great. But the voice, atmosphere and realism while good, felt just a bit compressed. This is where the SH-9 took my breath away. It was the depth and space but also the clarity. The M500 could not compete at all. Just everything was so clear, the details jumped out so clearly that going back to the M500, it all felt compressed and lacking that extra magic.

If I were to rec you something, I'd say SMSL SU-9 + SH-9 stack. I don't say the M500 V2 + SH-9 because you'd be spending the same amount for the SU-9 + SH-9 but losing bluetooth. But if you really value detail and textures, a THX amp does it. Tube amps would be my number 1 as they can really be fun to listen to, but you will loose some clarity and detail. So THX is my pick :)

Feb 11, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #854 of 1,500
So just figured something fun about having alot of power, Planar headphone with very high quality low end. And EQ. Here I am just messing with the sub bass, only below 70hz. So I figured, let me see how much the Planar can handle 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. So I'm 3db which is what I always use, then 6db, Oooo this getting fun, 8db, damn that's some hefty low end. 10db? 😮 WOW. The Planar handled 10db like a champ. I am seriously loving this combo.
20210211_230616.jpg

Feb 11, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #855 of 1,500
The DX7 is a great dac/amp. I have tried it, but not with the Avantone. It's great. I can't fault it. But I'd honestly rec something else. For very similar money, you could maybe grab yourself the SMSL SH-9 and SU-9 stack. Very similar features as the DX7 but you are getting more power and I do feel the SH9 has better detail retrieval. For textures and imaging. THX my friend. The only other proper amps I have tried the Avantone with is the SMSL M500 V2 which sounds great, it's less expansive and detailed than the SH9 and a bit more brighter sounding but I also do find it has a bit more bass impact while the SH9 has a more accurate and nuanced low end with much more detail. There is the Woo audio Fireflys that I used to own but have sold it. Great amp, but I think its to warm sounding for the Avantone Planar. It does have that very tube sound though but also is pricey. I was looking at the IFI Neo IDSD but don't know much of it, but it has great reviews and there also is the Schiit Magnius. It has a bit more power than the SH-9 but it's best to use it balanced as the single ended is not the best and the SH-9 has better performance when used single ended. But the Magnius has slightly better performance if used balanced. I use mostly single ended, yes I've used the Magnius and I did hear slightly more dynamics, slightly wider soundstage and a bit more bass slam. But I felt the SH-9 to have a bit better depth, smoother treble while still having the same amount of detail and imaging to be on par. I honestly prefered the smoother presentation of the SH-9. Another amp/dac you could check out is the RME-ADI. It's great, but the price might stop you, I'd only get it if I were to use much higher end headphones, and even then. I still feel the performance of my M500 + SH9 is high up there with the big players. It's great 😊. There's heaps of options, I'd say best thing is to follow your budget. But also think, is this an amp/dac I will further upgrade or will I have this for a good amount of years. For me, the M500 V2 was great. The price to performance was great. The DAC is as good as the SU-9. But it was the amp I wanted to upgrade. So I did and got myself the SH-9. I can't be more happier. I actually compared the SH-9 and M500 for a few hours. At first, going back to back. It was tricky telling the difference. Took me like 30 to 40 minutes to start picking out differences. After an 1 hour to 1 hour and 40 minutes. I started to hear much more differences. The low end was a little harder hitting on the M500, but the SH-9 was much more detailed and nuanced, the sub and mid bass were so much more seperated, I could really hear both of them doing their own thing. Textures also came out better in the SH-9. After 2 hours, I noticed treble being much more airy and smoother on the SH-9. The M500 felt a bit thin at times and detail was lacking compared to the SH-9. But then it was Led Zeppelin - Stairways to heaven that showed me the big difference. The M500 sounded great, really great. But the voice, atmosphere and realism while good, felt just a bit compressed. This is where the SH-9 took my breath away. It was the depth and space but also the clarity. The M500 could not compete at all. Just everything was so clear, the details jumped out so clearly that going back to the M500, it all felt compressed and lacking that extra magic.

If I were to rec you something, I'd say SMSL SU-9 + SH-9 stack. I don't say the M500 V2 + SH-9 because you'd be spending the same amount for the SU-9 + SH-9 but losing bluetooth. But if you really value detail and textures, a THX amp does it. Tube amps would be my number 1 as they can really be fun to listen to, but you will loose some clarity and detail. So THX is my pick :)
Thank you for all the details :ksc75smile:
The SH9 looks like a good solution for me. It's relatively cheap and I can always upgrade the DAC later. To be honest I'm using the Chromecast audio's own dac these days, it sounds better to my ears than the K5 pro dac. That's why I was considering a higher-end dac-amp combo as a double upgrade, but it seems like there are very few options in terms of THX products (except if I wait for the Fiio K7/K9).
I wish I could audition all these amps but it seems like the Chinese ones are mostly distributed online in Europe. Anyway, seems like I can't go wrong with the SH9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back