Avantone : Pro Planar
Feb 8, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #811 of 1,549
Here is a pad rolling ring .STL for printing.

First iteration and I haven't done any testing with the design so let me know how it works.

Feb 8, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #812 of 1,549
Just had a few pad rings printed.

These are the non pad rolling designs.

3B88ACE4-D463-4C79-8081-D9816DA974E2.jpeg

Feb 8, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #813 of 1,549
My free month of Qobuz and Tidal is running out, so listening to songs to see if I should keep a subscription. (Amazon HD is not available here)

Found one that really let me appreciate using EQ on the Planars: Good Mystery - Amber Rubarth. This song‘s got some good bass presence!

(who says the Planars don’t have a solid bass?)

Feb 8, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #814 of 1,549
My free month of Qobuz and Tidal is running out, so listening to songs to see if I should keep a subscription. (Amazon HD is not available here)

Found one that really let me appreciate using EQ on the Planars: Good Mystery - Amber Rubarth. This song‘s got some good bass presence!

Check out Stanley Clarke's East River Drive!

Feb 8, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #815 of 1,549
Nice, thanks for the feedback. It's interesting that you also get better detail retrieval with the velour pads. I guess this says something about the quality of the stock pads.
Regarding the leather pads, I would expect flat pads to provide more neutral bass. That would be ideal IMO.

Nice. Makes me want to go for the Monolith thx dac-amp combo...
I'm also tempted to grab a different amp for the avantone... something more linear, I have the topping A50s, perhaps the SMSL SH-9 is the right choice.
I'm still listsning. But this combo so far is very unique. The low end becomes neutral and very accurate. Yet textures, detail, the seperation between sub and mid bass is extremely impressive. But if you're looking for bass slam, you'll need EQ. But the low end, mids, treble, everything just sounds so seperated and doing their own thing. It's hard to describe

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #816 of 1,549

Can you spot the difference with lossy files? I can't so I think I'll keep using Spotify after my Tidal trial expires (not even using it at the moment).

The Avantone sure can do bass. A fun album I came across recently: "Victory" from Magnetic ensemble. It's a bit like edm but made mostly with acoustic instruments. Sounds very fun on the Avantone.

I'm still listsning. But this combo so far is very unique. The low end becomes neutral and very accurate. Yet textures, detail, the seperation between sub and mid bass is extremely impressive. But if you're looking for bass slam, you'll need EQ. But the low end, mids, treble, everything just sounds so seperated and doing their own thing. It's hard to describe
This is a bit how I hear the Avantone with my k5 pro. How much power did you have before, something like 500mw no?

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #817 of 1,549
Can you spot the difference with lossy files? I can't so I think I'll keep using Spotify after my Tidal trial expires (not even using it at the moment).

The Avantone sure can do bass. A fun album I came across recently: "Victory" from Magnetic ensemble. It's a bit like edm but made mostly with acoustic instruments. Sounds very fun on the Avantone.

This is a bit how I hear the Avantone with my k5 pro. How much power did you have before, something like 500mw no?
Yes the M500 could output 500mw. But now with the SH9, im putting 3Watts. But the amount of detail I am hearing is crazy. I've tried the K5 pro before, it's a great dac/amp. But the SH9 is another level. Mainly it's the control, speed, transients and detail that is impressing me. I have used the Planar with the Woo Firefly before as well. Yeah theres no comparison, I am liking the SH9 much more.

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #818 of 1,549
Yes the M500 could output 500mw. But now with the SH9, im putting 3Watts. But the amount of detail I am hearing is crazy. I've tried the K5 pro before, it's a great dac/amp. But the SH9 is another level. Mainly it's the control, speed, transients and detail that is impressing me. I have used the Planar with the Woo Firefly before as well. Yeah theres no comparison, I am liking the SH9 much more.
Sounds very tempting :wink: I can imagine how that would benefit to the Planar. The frequency response is already perfect to my ears, so with some extra resolution added, it could be hard to beat as a combo.

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #819 of 1,549
Yes, I got the impression that part of the lowest bass and tactile feel is missing in Spotify. Maybe you can verify? I actually just restarted a Tidal trial because I wanted this song (among others) to sound like it should. (I restarted a Tidal trial because my first trial was through Apple and would result in a 30% more expensive subscription)

Will check it out. Thanks!

Mine (through the RME) sounds precisely like that. With EQ it comes more alive, hearing even more detail. There’s little left to desire for the moment, only changing a setting for recordings that were mastered sub-optimal or off-standard.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #820 of 1,549
Yes, I got the impression that part of the lowest bass and tactile feel is missing in Spotify. Maybe you can verify? I actually just restarted a Tidal trial because I wanted this song (among others) to sound like it should. (I restarted a Tidal trial because my first trial was through Apple and would result in a 30% more expensive subscription)

Will check it out. Thanks!

Mine (through the RME) sounds precisely like that. With EQ it comes more alive, hearing even more detail. There’s little left to desire for the moment, only changing a setting for recordings that were mastered sub-optimal or off-standard.
The RME is amazing gear. I was considering getting myself one but not certain if I'd need it. Mind telling me which eq you are using? I'd like to give it a try. I have been using my eq but have changed a few things. I'd like to hear how the eq you are using sounds 😊

Edit: I remembered you tried using my eq but were limited, so you made your own thats similar to mine.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #821 of 1,549
Sounds very tempting :wink: I can imagine how that would benefit to the Planar. The frequency response is already perfect to my ears, so with some extra resolution added, it could be hard to beat as a combo.
I still havent tried with no EQ. But with the EQ I am using. The amount of detail I am hearing is insane. But I did change two slight things. Instead of 5.5 db at 1400khz highshelf. I set it to 5db. And the 9khz I set it to 3.5db instead of 4db. Slight. But I do hear a difference. The SH9 gives a lot of air and depth to the overall sound. The mid range and treble really shine through. It's a beautiful pairing 😊

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #822 of 1,549
The RME is amazing gear. I was considering getting myself one but not certain if I'd need it. Mind telling me which eq you are using? I'd like to give it a try. I have been using my eq but have changed a few things. I'd like to hear how the eq you are using sounds 😊
It is probably much more basic than yours, and it is definitely not definite: (but definitely good enough atm, lol, awaiting perhaps new ear cushions)
B1 G+3.0 F70 Q0.7 shelf
B2 G-3.0 F1.14k Q1.4
B3 G-1.5 F2.7k Q3.0
B4 G-1.5 F8.0k Q5.0 (necessary? Q5.0 is maximum Q here)
B5 G+2.5 F1.40k Q0.7 shelf
Bass button G0.0 F80 Q0.7 shelf (to check if I’m missing out on bass, had “G+3.0 F30” but didn’t seem to do much)
Treble button G-2.5 F10.0k Q0.7 shelf (cannot go above F10.0k or below F3.0k on this button)

Tried “B5” G+5.0 / G5.5, but couldn’t get them to be comfortable on many songs. Too much piercing highs and sibilance.

Filters adjusted by ear mostly (from your/original tables). My hearing doesn’t go much beyond 12.5kHz, so ymmv.

From a decade long experience in audio (with speaker/subwoofer setups) I remember that only small EQ adjustments work, besides filtering out resonances. So boosting a “null” is a futile exercise.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #823 of 1,549
It is probably much more basic than yours, and it is definitely not definite: (but definitely good enough atm, lol, awaiting perhaps new ear cushions)
B1 G+3.0 F70 Q0.7 shelf
B2 G-3.0 F1.14k Q1.4
B3 G-1.5 F2.7k Q3.0
B4 G-1.5 F8.0k Q5.0 (necessary? Q5.0 is maximum Q here)
B5 G+2.5 F1.40k Q0.7 shelf
Bass button G0.0 F80 Q0.7 shelf (to check if I’m missing out on bass, had “G+3.0 F30” but didn’t seem to do much)
Treble button G-2.5 F10.0k Q0.7 shelf (cannot go above F10.0k or below F3.0k on this button)

Tried “B5” G+5.0 / G5.5, but couldn’t get them to be comfortable on many songs. Too much piercing highs and sibilance.

Filters adjusted by ear mostly (from your/original tables). My hearing doesn’t go much beyond 12.5kHz, so ymmv.

From a decade long experience in audio (with speaker/subwoofer setups) I remember that only small EQ adjustments work, besides filtering out resonances. So boosting a “null” is a futile exercise.
The piercing highs and sibilance was because you werent able to correct 4490hz, 6150hz and 8100hz? On your earlier post you tried the +5/5.5 db highshelf at 1.4khz but it was a bit to much? I'll have a mess around and see if I can come up with something :)

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #824 of 1,549

I actually felt the bass presence of the planars was too strong, I prefer neutral so I reduced it a bit.

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #825 of 1,549

Slam is overrated, I listen to music in my car if I want to feel bass. trying to get headphones to do excessive bass will ruin some other part of the audio spectrum. even totl headphones will have this issue if played loudly with bass heavy music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back