Avantone : Pro Planar
Oct 10, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #91 of 1,500
His opinion is subjective if he thinks hd6xx are not tuned neutral - I.e. neutral as in what a good pair of speakers in sound treated room might sound like. Look at measurements and reviews from reputable sources - sonarworks for examples had them as their number one recommendation for most balanced neutral headphone and they specialize in room/headphone correction software. We need some objective comparisons, measurements and reviews of the Avantones in terms of what constitutes neutral... they've been out for few months now and there's very little material out there to help understand how it's voiced. I'm really hopeful when i see that graph it will be a slightly downward sloping smooth line!
If you want an idea of how the Avantone will sound like. Look at a FR graph of the Ollo S4X and compare it to the HD600/650. I've listened to the S4X and Planar side by side. They both have a similar sound. While we wait for an official FR graph of the Planar, the S4X can be an idea

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #92 of 1,500
But don't the measurements tell you how things sound? There are some sites that review solely based on measurements with no need to listen

While I think its interesting to see measurements (they do tell some things after all, or help explain problems), judging a headphone solely by measurements is complete nonsense. I once came across one of those sites, banned it immediately from my viewing... this procedure tells me one thing for sure: they have no clue what they are talking about.

That being said, there's a lot of nonsense GoodNotes around with measurements themselves, such as giving a frequency range but no information on how the limits were evaluated, i.e. do the ends of the frequency range get measured with 3db less spl than at 1kHz, with 10dB (which is already just pushing numbers in my opinion) or ...
Things like SPL (should be exactly defined e.g. dB @1mW @1kHz or dB @1V etc), impedance etc. mostly tell you about technical compatibility, frequency graphs give a very raw overview of the general tuning (but often miss any hint of correction curves or measurement gear used and are therefore often quite useless).

Long story short: nothing can replace the experience of *you* listening to a headphone. Alone the fit to your head makes it sound different... plus there's an unavoidable chasm between numbers and experience: there's a diffuse relation between measurements and experience, but its neither stable nor compatible between persons/headphone models.

Avantone being a professional audio gear company should have good measurements readily available though. And I think they'll provide that sooner or later. Yet an open planar... might not be for me anyway. Generally I don't like how planars present bass, and I only have limited use for open headphones in general. Nevertheless I like their design somehow.

Edit: autocorrect-correction

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #93 of 1,500
Measurements can tell you mechanical/electrical aspects, soundstage is perceived/interpreted by our brains.
So every headphone regardless of its mechanical/ electrical aspects can be intrepreted by my brain to have a great soundstage??

The mechanical/ electrical aspects don't contribute?

It just seems more likely that we can't seem to measure soundstage.

Oct 13, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #94 of 1,500
Sadly the fit of these cans has zapped my excitement. Would have lost money that I would tap out because of the fit.

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #95 of 1,500
I’ve cancelled my order. I am not a patient man and having to wait another 2-3 weeks before Thomann sends it to me..nahh better wait a while..and who knows maybe I’ll get to see a frequency response of this headphone before I start throwing money at what basically is an unknown.

Oct 14, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #96 of 1,500
I’ve cancelled my order. I am not a patient man and having to wait another 2-3 weeks before Thomann sends it to me..nahh better wait a while..and who knows maybe I’ll get to see a frequency response of this headphone before I start throwing money at what basically is an unknown.
I learned to not trust in Thomman predictions (I waited all the summer for a "we will receive in 2-5 days" item).

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #97 of 1,500
If Avantone Planar is really what the early birds claimed it to be, why are there so few reviews online? It seems the marketing team isn't doing any publicity, and interest in the headphones remains very muted...

I need a new pair of headphones but no one seems to be adding to these reviews.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #98 of 1,500
If Avantone Planar is really what the early birds claimed it to be, why are there so few reviews online? It seems the marketing team isn't doing any publicity, and interest in the headphones remains very muted...

I need a new pair of headphones but no one seems to be adding to these reviews.
so buy it and listen for yourself.

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #100 of 1,500
It's not available in my part of the world at present (Asia), but I'll probably purchase it once it's available here, which I don't suppose to be anytime soon.
Ah that makes sense. I need to spend some time this weekend and decide if I should keep it. It certainly sounds great but the fit is getting me and well I got my tax money back and can afford a better one I think.

Oct 15, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #101 of 1,500
I learned to not trust in Thomman predictions (I waited all the summer for a "we will receive in 2-5 days" item).

Awkward :)

I am on the fence since I own a pair or Audeze Isine 20 and would like to go for the full cans.

Btw, to the actual owners: do they make ears hot somehow? This Is my Major concern..

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #102 of 1,500
Awkward :)

I am on the fence since I own a pair or Audeze Isine 20 and would like to go for the full cans.

Btw, to the actual owners: do they make ears hot somehow? This Is my Major concern..
About if they make ears hot. For me. No. They don't. I have listened to these for a good amount of hours and just did the normal readjusting maybe 3 times. But my ears did not hurt. As for sound. Some of you may already know. This has easily become one of my most favourite headphones. It's unfortunate that not many reviews are being put out for this headphone as I believe it deserves the light. I guess only way for people to really know is to read comments on youtube as some people give their own impressions on the comments sections. Maybe another forum site, Gearslutz has a few impressions. And I guess wait for other peoples impressions on here. My two cents, I honestly think they are the best bang for the buck of 2020. Only issues someone might come into is the fit, some people don't like the earpads or might find them heavy. Secondly is the sound. Some people might not like how they sound. I have only found 1 person saying they sound strange and they use EQ. Everyone else though, ( a fair amount of people ) have said very very positive things about the sound and mostly saying they punch way above their price.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #103 of 1,500
Ah that makes sense. I need to spend some time this weekend and decide if I should keep it. It certainly sounds great but the fit is getting me and well I got my tax money back and can afford a better one I think.
What about the fit bothers you? Is it the earpads? Clamp? Weight? And could you give your impressions of how they sound to your ear? 😊. I'm still waiting for the Acoustic Research earpads to arrive but they taking long :/

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #105 of 1,500
If you would like professional measurements done on this headphone, as would I, I recommend sending them to Oratory1990 from Reddit.

Yup. Then he'll give us a nice EQ setting as well. Dude's a magician of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back