Avantone : Pro Planar
Sep 30, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #46 of 1,500
Sep 30, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #47 of 1,500
These are not as comfy as my M1060s. The pads material is bugging my skin, the clamp is way more than the M1060 (duh they have zero clamp) and the headband takes its toll. Harder to listen long term in these than the M1060.

Thinking of drilling some holes in the headband or putting some silicon strips for some air. Also my ears seem to always find the inside of the cup.

Might have to pull a Zeos and bend this headband.

Good news is that I have new pads on the way and based on my other non rectangular pads, I can put the new ones on top of the old ones and get a wider stage.

Ironically I am the "sound is the only thing that matters guy" and hate the 25 minute vids where 24 minutes are about build, wires and comfort...

They do sound great so far. More to come.

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #48 of 1,500
These are not as comfy as my M1060s. The pads material is bugging my skin, the clamp is way more than the M1060 (duh they have zero clamp) and the headband takes its toll. Harder to listen long term in these than the M1060.

Thinking of drilling some holes in the headband or putting some silicon strips for some air. Also my ears seem to always find the inside of the cup.

Might have to pull a Zeos and bend this headband.

Good news is that I have new pads on the way and based on my other non rectangular pads, I can put the new ones on top of the old ones and get a wider stage.

Ironically I am the "sound is the only thing that matters guy" and hate the 25 minute vids where 24 minutes are about build, wires and comfort...

They do sound great so far. More to come.
Try maybe bending the headband slightly. Which earpads did you order? :). I'll be ordering the Acoustic Research ARH1 sheepskin earpads soon. For me the stock pads feel great. They feel like the pads of the Fidelio X2 just a bit more plusher. But I would prefer some leather earpads

If you can, listen to some music with heaps of percussion.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #49 of 1,500
Interesting headphone. Thomann price is bit too much for an impulse buy (£399 is about $530). Can anyone measure these or loan their pair to a friend who could do it?
Check out No Theme Reviews on YT. He does a review of the Ollo Audio S4. Those headphones are pretty flat/neutral. He says that the Avantone Planar are the most flat/neutral headphone he has heard, even more flat/neutral than the Ollo S4. I trust him very much and it seems that he does have very good ears. Once some graphs came out of the Ollo S4, they measured very flat/neutral. So if he is saying that the Avantone Planar are flatter and more neutral, you can get an idea how a graph would look :).

It would be very nice if we can get a graph of the Planar though, would love to compare it to some other headphones. From my ear though. I can say, they are the most neutral headphones I have heard. More neutral than the Ananda and Arya and Focal Clear.

Oct 1, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #51 of 1,500
Check out No Theme Reviews on YT. He does a review of the Ollo Audio S4. Those headphones are pretty flat/neutral. He says that the Avantone Planar are the most flat/neutral headphone he has heard, even more flat/neutral than the Ollo S4. I trust him very much and it seems that he does have very good ears. Once some graphs came out of the Ollo S4, they measured very flat/neutral. So if he is saying that the Avantone Planar are flatter and more neutral, you can get an idea how a graph would look :).

It would be very nice if we can get a graph of the Planar though, would love to compare it to some other headphones. From my ear though. I can say, they are the most neutral headphones I have heard. More neutral than the Ananda and Arya and Focal Clear.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it kind of complicates things. I have S4/S4X/HD650 and used to own clear + measuring equipment.
S4 is quite neutral if neutrality target is something that compensates lack of body (compared to speakers) with boosted upper midbass and lower mids. For more traditional neutrality S4 is bit thick and darkish. S4X was made to be more neutral and it has more upper midrange presence. It's quite close to hd650/clear now but with less treble. It also has less treble than original S4.

So if aventone is more neutral than S4 but not with more upper midrange I can't really grasp how it's tuned.

Oct 1, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #52 of 1,500
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it kind of complicates things. I have S4/S4X/HD650 and used to own clear + measuring equipment.
S4 is quite neutral if neutrality target is something that compensates lack of body (compared to speakers) with boosted upper midbass and lower mids. For more traditional neutrality S4 is bit thick and darkish. S4X was made to be more neutral and it has more upper midrange presence. It's quite close to hd650/clear now but with less treble. It also has less treble than original S4.

So if aventone is more neutral than S4 but not with more upper midrange I can't really grasp how it's tuned.
I understand. I unfortunately havent heard the S4X but have heard the clear. The Planar is more neutral, but I would not say the Planar is dark sounding. No where near dark. It has great treble and mid range presence throughout. Male and female vocals both sit equally to my ear with great clarity. Nothing sounds muffled, dark or veild. It's honestly a unique presentation. Even the bass sounds clear... yet nothing feels forced.

I think the Planar would be more in line with tuning with the S4X though. But the Planar is still more neutral in mids and treble. But it will have much faster transients and better treble extension. The clarity is also very impressive.
The mid range really stands out, both male and female vocals. They honestly are amazing on the Planar. Compared to the S4, I can say the Planar is a seriously big step up in terms of tonality, detail and calrity. I much prefer the Planar over the S4.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #53 of 1,500
I used to own the DT 1990s 2 years ago. The Planars are on another level. Low end is more accurate and neutral, but the low end is faster, more detailed and has better separation between sub and mid bass. Mids are more neutral yet crystal clear, more natural, more detailed and have better thickness to them. The treble is more neutral as well yet having better accuracy, more extension and more detail. Soundstage is wider, has more depth and height while separation is more spaced out.
I really appreciate you taking time to answer my question. Thanks! The Avantone planar is really shaping up to be a great bargain. Wonder if there might be a Drop one of these days...

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #55 of 1,500
I really appreciate you taking time to answer my question. Thanks! The Avantone planar is really shaping up to be a great bargain. Wonder if there might be a Drop one of these days...
If there ever was to be a drop on these. These would become a once in a lifetime bargain and a must get.

Oct 2, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #56 of 1,500
So been reading. It says the tranducer/driver size is 70×95mm which is pretty big. Basically close to the same size of the Arya I am curious where Avantone got it from...

We make our planar elements ourselves at the same facility we make our tweeter and woofer drivers

Oct 2, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #57 of 1,500
We make our planar elements ourselves at the same facility we make our tweeter and woofer drivers
Hey Seth

Any idea on getting replacement pads? Do they have any bigger ones? Is there a plan for a new model that will be larger and fit around ears?

Look at the existing pad. That opening is as tiny as the Sendy Aiva’s image size

Oct 2, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #58 of 1,500
Lot of folks are interested to see the frequency graph. Hope that can be done.

Oct 4, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #59 of 1,500
So anyone have anymore impressions? 😊 I honestly have been using these everyday. When ever I go back to another headphone, those headphones sound so strange to me, my ears need to adjust to the sound signature. There are some headphones I've been thinking of selling because the Planar can do it or it just does it so much better.

Oct 4, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #60 of 1,500
So anyone have anymore impressions? 😊 I honestly have been using these everyday. When ever I go back to another headphone, those headphones sound so strange to me, my ears need to adjust to the sound signature. There are some headphones I've been thinking of selling because the Planar can do it or it just does it so much better.

They are on my "to buy list" but I'm getting my powder dry and funds for what I hope to be an inevitable Audeze Black Friday sale in which I hope to pick up an LCD-X possibly. :sweat_smile:

But these Avantone Planars do intrigue me.... I foresee them being in my 2021 headphone stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back