Sade
Tom Chaplin
Rush
Sarah Jarosz
10CC
Keith Urban

So, to begin with, the Negatives :
The pads are not wonderful.
They are mildly scratchy and you will notice this at first, and keeping noticing them for the first hour. Then its better as the fibers flatten and become more comfortable.

Next, the build quality is what i'd define as "1963 Czechoslovakia assembly line""".
Metal Frame. Metal Cups. Metal metal everywhere except for the headband and the insulation on the wire.
We have a general sense of metal playing with metal all trying to adjust to your head's shape.
They do, actually, but at first its, interesting.
After some hours with them, its fine.
Clamping pressure is mild.
Headband is good.
Ear cups are medium depth and will fit most ears comfortably.
The Avantone's do not totally disappear on your head.
You notice their bulk at first, but like all headphones...if you wear them a lot, you forget about them.
If you have every owned the MOFI- Blue, or one of those, then the Avantone is nothing like that misery.

Cables are a bit stiff, they are not labeled "L & R" because its not necessary. Just plug in and you are there.
Cables are not particularly microphonic, and not particularly high end, but they'll do, and are very easy to replace.

Ok, thats all the complaints., and other then the scratchy pads, and the all metal frame, i have nothing more to slightly downgrade.

Sound.:

They sound Good.

My very first initial impression was that they sound similar to Dynamic headphones.
Soundwise they offer a lot of what is most desirably in a Dynamic, yet they are a set of Planar's.
There is a somewhat "analog" tonality located inside these headphone's sonic signature that is interesting.
Evidently the engineer who created these in the Lab was trying to create a tonality that reminds you somewhat of "analog".... Its not dial in warmth, its more about the Timbre.
Good overall clarity and decent resolution.
Detail retrieval is better then average at this price point..

Treble...:
Revealing.. very good detail retrieval.
The sound perspective is : Natural + slightly analytical.
Trebles are not thin, and there is plenty of air and space around vocals that are recorded well.

Midrange....:

Not forward.
Revealing
Balanced
Low mids are free of bloat.
There is no sense that the mids are laid back, and they provide good clarity and definition.

Bass.....:

Extension is ok, balance is good.
These are not head thumpers, but they have decent extension and sound balanced and well integrated.
These Planars are designed to appeal to the crowd who likes a taste of neutrality and are not looking for a dry or flat frequency response.
The bass is well represented, yet not dominate or obtrusive.
It allows the mids and the treble to shine .

Soundstage. :

Fairly immersive with decent width and depth.
The instrument separation is good.
This is a $399 set of Planar's that sound more musical then the Sundara's, more full then the Senn HD560s, and offer good overall sonic value for the price.

Rating :

Treble : 8.2

Midrange : 8.2

Bass : 7.9

Timbre - Tonality - Textural Accuracy : 8.4

Comfort : 7.6+

Enjoyable affordable audiophile sound..
Cable upgrade is simple.
Give them a listen, they offer a enjoyable listening experience.
-
  • Style: Over-ear, open-back
  • Transducer Type: Planar Magnetic
  • Magnet Type: Neodymium N50SH
  • Diaphragm Type: 21 Micron PET
  • Transducer size: 70 x 95 mm
  • Maximum power handling: 5W RMS
  • Frequency response: 30Hz - 30kHz
  • THD: <0.1% @ 100dB
  • Impedance: 32 Ω
  • Sensitivity: 104 dB/1mW (at Drum Reference Point)
  • Minimum power:>100mW
  • Recommended power:>250mW
  • Weight: .48kg; 1 Lbs
-
-

AV 1.JPG
AV 2.JPG
AV 3.JPG
AV 4.JPG
a

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 1,500
Avantone Pro Planer

Right Out of the Box impressions.

Music used :

Sade
Tom Chaplin
Rush
Sarah Jarosz
10CC
Keith Urban

So, to begin with, the Negatives :
The pads are not wonderful.
They are mildly scratchy and you will notice this at first, and keeping noticing them for the first hour. Then its better as the fibers flatten and become more comfortable.

Next, the build quality is what i'd define as "1963 Czechoslovakia assembly line""".
Metal Frame. Metal Cups. Metal metal everywhere except for the headband and the insulation on the wire.
We have a general sense of metal playing with metal all trying to adjust to your head's shape.
They do, actually, but at first its, interesting.
After some hours with them, its fine.
Clamping pressure is mild.
Headband is good.
Ear cups are medium depth and will fit most ears comfortably.
The Avantone's do not totally disappear on your head.
You notice their bulk at first, but like all headphones...if you wear them a lot, you forget about them.

Cables are a bit stiff, they are not labeled "L & R" because its not necessary. Just plug in and you are there.
Cables are not particularly microphonic, and not particularly high end, but they'll do, and are very easy to replace.

Ok, thats all the complaints., and other then the scratchy pads, and the all metal frame, i have nothing more to slightly downgrade.

Sound.:

They sound Good.

My very first initial impression was that they sound like excellent Dynamic headphones, yet they are inexpensive Planer's.
Soundwise they offer a lot of what is most desirably in a Dynamic, yet they are a set of Planer's. This is a good thing.
There is a somewhat "analog" tonality located inside these headphone's sonic signature that is quite pleasant.
They are truly a unique sounding set of Planer's.
Evidently the engineer was trying to create a tonality that reminds you of "vintage" and "analog".
Lots of clarity and impressive resolution at this price point.
Detail retrieval is superior.

Treble...:

Quite Revealing..
As i said, very good detail retrieval.
The sound perspective is : Natural + slightly analytical.
Trebles are really good. Lots of air around vocals that are recorded well.

Midrange....:

Punchy
Revealing
Dynamic
Rich
Low mids are free of bloat.
There is no sense that the mids are laid back. They are very forthright, well presented, rich, and provide excellent clarity and definition.

Bass.....:

Extension is ok, balance is good.
These Planars are designed to appeal to the crowd that likes neutrality and clarity and detail.
The bass is designed to stay balanced and well represented, yet not dominate.
It allows the mids and the treble to shine and sing.

Soundstage. :

This is the best part of this gear, along with the detail retrieval.
The instrument separation and soundstage is very good.
It's unique.
Sound comes out of the blackness and its very good and somewhat analytical.
There is a lot of sound in front and there is a unique side to side presentation extension that is very nice.
This is a $399 set of Planar's that will have you reaching for all your favorite music to give it a new listen.
So, that is the best compliment i can give these headphones, as that is what they for for me.

Rating :

Treble : 8.5

Midrange : 8.5

Bass : 7.9

Sound Presentation : 8:9

Timbre - Tonality - Textural Accuracy : 8.9

Comfort : 7.6

Value for $399 USD. : 8.8+

Sonic Value for the money : 9.2+

Unique Sonic Presentation.
Very enjoyable audiophile sound that punches above their price point.
ive now listened to them for hrs, and have enjoyed what im hearing.
The soundstage they represent is unique.
Their handling of vocals is very good.
Instrument separation is very good.
Cable upgrade is simple.
Give them a listen, they offer a unique audiophile sound value.
-
  • Style: Over-ear, open-back
  • Transducer Type: Planar Magnetic
  • Magnet Type: Neodymium N50SH
  • Diaphragm Type: 21 Micron PET
  • Transducer size: 70 x 95 mm
  • Maximum power handling: 5W RMS
  • Frequency response: 30Hz - 30kHz
  • THD: <0.1% @ 100dB
  • Impedance: 32 Ω
  • Sensitivity: 104 dB/1mW (at Drum Reference Point)
  • Minimum power:>100mW
  • Recommended power:>250mW
  • Weight: .48kg; 1 Lbs
-
-

AV 1.JPGAV 2.JPGAV 3.JPGAV 4.JPG
Great mini review/impressions. How would these compare with headphones like the Hifiman Ananda or Edition X V2? It's a big price difference but it seems the Planar can put up a fight.

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 1,500
Great mini review/impressions. How would these compare with headphones like the Hifiman Ananda or Edition X V2? It's a big price difference but it seems the Planar can put up a fight.

Hey.

Well, im mildly amazed.
Thats how i feel about these large turn of the century (frame) desiged headphones, with the fuzzy pads.
I bought them for fun, out of curiosity, and they became a mainstay that i'll keep.
I hope they make a closed version. Id buy it for 2x the price, instantly.

The Avanton Pro Planer's have a unique soundstage that enhances detail retrieval , and an overall analog aspect to their sound, that im hearing that is ultra pleasing.... your milage may completely vary.
They suit my ears very well.
They are balanced, present sonic accuracy, are detailed, not too bright, and not too bass laden.
Also, they are not designed around the idea that BRIGHT is MUSIC = Hifiman or Audiotech, or Grado, etc.
There is something about their sound that is rich and rewarding that just impresses.

Maybe it was my low expectations that allowed them to shine, as, we all know how it is......we get the new gear, the hype buzz is out of control thats been feeding your lust, and you strap them on and they fail to impress .
So, with these, im thinking right out of the box before i plugged them into any music......."well here you go.....another mix and match from the Chinese universal box of whatever supplies are available", and then im sitting there for about a week and not once did i fail to enjoy their sound, no matter the musical genre.
There is a unique clarity that they offer that is not based on BRIGHTNESS.
They sound musical and play well with music.
Occasionally i would decide i was just being fooled, so, i'd strap on the Aeon Flow 2 C or my Trusty Hifiman Edition Xv2 that many swear are the blueprint for the $3000 Hifiman HE-1000V2, and not once did i not want to put the Avantone's right back on, and everytime i did, i was happy again.
Folk, rock, opera, jazz.....it just does not matter...... I sit and listen and it sounds good.
For $399, im smiling.

So, i really think they are a great sounding Planer., similar to the Edition X v2, yet with better fuller midrange.
Maybe all other reviews will hate them, but, i love them.
I hope they create some lambskin or pleather pads for these, but if not, im still good.
And i do hope they create them as a closed set of Planers, as this sound in a closed cup, would be very special.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 1,500
Hey.

Well, im mildly amazed.
Thats how i feel about these large turn of the century (frame) desiged headphones, with the fuzzy pads.
I bought them for fun, out of curiosity, and they became a mainstay that i'll keep.
I hope they make a closed version. Id buy it for 2x the price, instantly.

The Avanton Pro Planer's have a unique soundstage that enhances detail retrieval , and an overall analog aspect to their sound, that im hearing that is ultra pleasing.... your milage may completely vary.
They suit my ears very well.
They are balanced, present sonic accuracy, are detailed, not too bright, and not too bass laden.
Also, they are not designed around the idea that BRIGHT is MUSIC = Hifiman or Audiotech, or Grado, etc.
There is something about their sound that is rich and rewarding that just impresses.

Maybe it was my low expectations that allowed them to shine, as, we all know how it is......we get the new gear, the hype buzz is out of control thats been feeding your lust, and you strap them on and they fail to impress .
So, with these, im thinking right out of the box before i plugged them into any music......."well here you go.....another mix and match from the Chinese universal box of whatever supplies are available", and then im sitting there for about a week and not once did i fail to enjoy their sound, no matter the musical genre.
There is a unique clarity that they offer that is not based on BRIGHTNESS.
They sound musical and play well with music.
Occasionally i would decide i was just being fooled, so, i'd strap on the Aeon Flow 2 C or my Trusty Hifiman Edition Xv2 that many swear are the blueprint for the $3000 Hifiman HE-1000V2, and not once did i not want to put the Avantone's right back on, and everytime i did, i was happy again.
Folk, rock, opera, jazz.....it just does not matter...... I sit and listen and it sounds good.
For $399, im smiling.

So, i really think they are a great sounding Planer., similar to the Edition X v2, yet with better fuller midrange.
Maybe all other reviews will hate them, but, i love them.
I hope they create some lambskin or pleather pads for these, but if not, im still good.
And i do hope they create them as a closed set of Planers, as this sound in a closed cup, would be very special.
Well I have read a few reviews, there is one review on yt and now you. No negatives what so ever. And all were extremely impressed about the price to performance... This could be the best bang for the buck headphone of 2020? 😮😏😁. I think I might do a cheeky and get myself a pair 🎵🎼🎶🎧 and you say better fuller mid range than the Hifiman X V2 😮😅. I loved the X V2 but they were pricey and the mid range. I did want more fullness. Consider the Avantone Planar are $400 USD. And they are competing with headphones high up there.... and honestly by your impressions putting on a deadly fight. IMPRESSIVE.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 1,500
Well my Avantone Planars are still being shipped due to the store not having stock but I did go and try the demo unit briefly as the urge of hearing them was driving me crazy. It was a brief 40 minutes of listening. But honestly those 40 minutes were beyond enough for me to seriously consider asking if I could buy the demo unit.... I didn't but was close to...

So firsty build and comfort. I 100% agree with @FullBright1 . These have a lot of metal, barely no plastic at all. They do seem bulky but I actually really like how they look in person. The all black really looks nice. The earpads for me felt good, no comfort issues at all. I do understand what FullBright1 meant by scratchy but it only felt like that for 3 minutes and then it felt normal, I think after use they will feel great. They actually felt very very comfy and the clamp is secure but not tight fitting. They do have some weight but for 40 mins they felt very comfy, once I get my headphones I'll update about comfort.

Now the most important part. This is the reason why I was so close to asking for the demo unit.

Sound:
3 words. Truly mind blowing.
A $400 headphone can sound this great? I'd expect this from a headphone costing 3 or 4 times the price
How?!?!

It's a impressively neutral yet natural sounding headphone. The tuning is truly superb. High end tuning. Yet never did it sound boring. It's not a headphone for a basshead or vocal lovers or treble lovers. But it has all the technicalities in the low end, vocals/mids and treble. Low end extension is great, it is fast, extremely fast and very accurate. Separation and detail is amazing. I have heard low end detail I truly have not heard before in some songs. It has impact but don't expect massive slam. Yet it's not lacking. But do expect accurate not enhanced.

Mids are amazingly neutral, male and female vocals are balanced and shine through the mix. There is this beautiful natural clarity with amazing separation. Instrumemts sound life like, very natural. Very accurate. Nothing sounds pushed forward yet everything just shines through. Simply amazing and beautiful.

The treble.. Have a guess??? It is amazingly neutral, yet with this natural sense and great extension. There is beautiful air and details just come through. Honestly, the tuning on this headphone is WOW. There are only two headphones that come to my mind with tuning this good. The Hifiman Ananda and Arya.

I whole heartedly am saying this. The Planar to my ear sounds more neutral and true to the recording. Hands down. Amazing. Yes the Ananda and Arya can sound more exciting. But I'd honestly take the Avantone Planar.

Wait though I am not done yet.

Soundstage & imaging
The Avantone doesn't have the widest soundstage, but it is big. It reminds me of the Audeze LCD-X. Maybe the Avantone Planar is slightly bigger overal. But I feel separation of instruments is overall better on the Planar. While imaging is on par with the Audeze LCD-X.

The Planar is really pushing the price to performance limit. For $400 it's a steal. Now some people might love it and some people might dislike it. It might be too neutral, or to accurate. It might not have enough bass slam/impact. Mids might not be forward enough or treble doesn't have enough energy. But for someone that owns already bassy, mid foward or treble forward/energetic, fun, relaxed headphones and want an amazingly, extremely neutral close to the recording sounding headphone. That seriously punches above its price. The Avantone Planar is it. F@%$#NG AMAZING!!!

Oh they are pretty easy to drive too. I tested it with a IFI XDSD, E1DA 9038s Gen 3 with Cardas parsec cable and also a SMSL M500 V2 dac/amp. All drove the Avantone Planar very loudly. As long you have 500mw into 32ohms, you should be set, but the better the dac & amp, the more dynamic the Avantone Planar sound.

Hopefully my pair come in soon. Hearing these has only made the urge worse. I am just so amazed at how neutral they are. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 I applaud Avantone for this truly amazing piece of gear. FINALLY. A headphone that sounds amazing but doesnt make us spend huge dollars. So so so happy, this is a great turn for us audio enthusiats 😁

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 1,500
Oh Sweet Jesus!

Can you post up your review when you get your unit on reddit and/or headphones.com

Thanks

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #10 of 1,500
Oh Sweet Jesus!

Can you post up your review when you get your unit on reddit and/or headphones.com

Thanks
I don't have an account for both of those sites but I'll check them out and see how I go. I still have a few other reviews coming. I have to do the Ultrasone Edition 11, Avantone Pro Planar and a mini review of the Audeze Sine DX.

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #12 of 1,500
Good to hear so many positives. One odd thing though: the frequency response is from 30Hz - 30kHz. So it cannot reproduce frequencies from 20 Hz to 30 Hz?
Good question. I honestly think it's just marketing and they don't want to list any non sense. The extension to my ear sounded extremely good. I didn't feel or hear any roll off. But I can say that the low end is extremely accurate and neutral. The speed is maybe one of the fastest I have ever heard on a headphone, this could be a pro or a con depending on your taste. But to make what I am saying more clear. The treble extension felt better to my ear on the Avantone Planar compared to the Audeze LCD-X. The Audeze LCD-X lists it can go 10hz - 50khz. Yet why do I feel treble extension is better on the Avantone Planar yet it sounds more neutral??? Usually anything below 30hz and above 20khz can't be heard. Some people can argue it might be felt or whatever. I say best judge is your ears. Extension on the Planar seems to be great and I couldn't percieve any significant roll off.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #13 of 1,500
Seriously, I don't think it's much of a problem. Just a technicality for most people not listening to classical music. I think only the organ and bass drum produce frequencies below 30 Hz. I asked that because I listen to some organ music.

For 99% of the listeners it's of no importance. Most popular music albums won't produce such low frequencies.

At least they are honest about it. This headphones will probably be my next purchase.

Sep 24, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #14 of 1,500
Seriously, I don't think it's much of a problem. Just a technicality for most people not listening to classical music. I think only the organ and bass drum produce frequencies below 30 Hz. I asked that because I listen to some organ music.

For 99% of the listeners it's of no importance. Most popular music albums won't produce such low frequencies.

At least they are honest about it. This headphones will probably be my next purchase.
I don't listen to classical but do listen to heaps of live recordings. Wetmusik for example which has a lot of instrumental percusion, a lot of sub and mid bass driven rhythm. The Planar reproduced percussion very nicely. It had drive and rumbles were well separated. Detail of bass notes were amazing. Nothing felt muddy or slow. The low end might not be extremely hard hitting, but the tonal quality and overall quality is extremely well defined and precise.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 1,500
got mine coming too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back