Avant le Schiitstorm: A Couple of Small Announcements...
Apr 29, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #65 of 102
  Great! Just ordered both the optical Modi and Sys. I've been looking forward to listening to my SACD through the Modi/Vali. 

Sorry to disappoint you, but there's no way to output the 24/96 SACD layer over toslink, just the 16/44.1 redbook layer.

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #67 of 102

Sorry to disappoint you, but there's no way to output the 24/96 SACD layer over toslink, just the 16/44.1 redbook layer.

Thank you for that information! It is ok because I mostly only have redbook anyway...thousands of them. I do have an HDMI de-embedder as well, but that is useless for me as my Onkyo doesn't have HDMI. What I definitely can use it for is the Airport Express and Squeezebox...and I can retire the Audioengine for good.

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #68 of 102

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Yes to the first quote, kinda yes to the 2nd. Now please don't take what I say as definitive, but literally every USB DAC (stand alone DAC/amp and USB headphones) I have used/owned over the years does the exact same thing; Through any analogue out, tiny tizzy clicking electronic sound that occurs when I use the mouse in any way, or the hard disk spooling may cause it, even typing can cause that noise. Even connecting the USB DAC to a dedicated powered hub by itself does not cure the problem. Keep in mind though that the USB DACs I have used were all USB 1.1 (and USB powered), so possibly USB 2.0 will alleviate that problem. Possibly the awesome quality components used in the Modi will prevent this from occurring.

Also take note that not all computer systems will cause the problem to occur; My iMac has 100% black noise (both built-in audio and USB DAC), but virtually every PC system I have built for myself and friends/family over the years has in one way or another, electrical noise interference through the USB to analogue. YMMV. 

I will confirm 100% that the optical option is the best way to go. You will never hear noise or interference as it is just light and not an electrical current. Not to mention the Modi optical has it's own external power adaptor so there will be no possible way that you will get any computer related interference. The downside is that it makes the unit not as portable. 
etysmile.gif

Thats kinda what I figured.
Now only question is: Optical Modi or Uber Bifrost Optical... :D.

May 1, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #70 of 102
can someone try to explain to me a pre amp.

I'm assuming it goes

DAC----->preamp--->Amp?

so this could be useful in comparing DACS? I'm not into the speaker game and that's what I think is confusing me.

May 2, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #71 of 102
  can someone try to explain to me a pre amp.

I'm assuming it goes

DAC----->preamp--->Amp?

so this could be useful in comparing DACS? I'm not into the speaker game and that's what I think is confusing me.

Pre-amp can have many functions: volume control, tone controls - so useful for both headphones and speakers.

Suppose you're using a 100 watt speaker amp to drive planars and are not getting enough volume control, you can use the pre-amp to help you out.

May 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #72 of 102
Quick question on volume control for the Modi with optical output (or Opti-Modi!)...

Just got mine, which will be hooked up thusly: Apple Lossless files > iTunes for Mac AirPlay > AirPort Express optical out > Modi > integrated amp.

I've read that the best practice for volume control is to use the integrated amp rather than using the Mac computer's device volume or the iTunes software volume.

If that's true, should I have the Mac and iTunes volumes set at the highest level? Any wisdom on this question would be much appreciated.

May 5, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #73 of 102
Well, my optical Modi stopped working.  Troubleshooting failed to nail down the problem, but I strongly suspect it's the Modi based on the things I could eliminate (and my years in tech support).  I emailed Schiit and they suggested a few troubleshooting steps that would have involved me tearing apart my entertainment center, so instead I decided to just return it as I'm still in the 15-day return window.

I understand that new products may have bad batches.  I'm not too upset about that.  I also was thinking about returning it anyways, as it wasn't a huge improvement over the DAC in my sound card, so it just made that decision easier.  I am a bit disappointed in their response to my ticket, though.  I don't know what I was expecting, but I would think they'd be more eager to help an early adopter of a new product that (potentially) failed within two weeks.

Ah well, time to save up for that Bifrost that I wanted in the first place.

May 5, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #74 of 102
  Quick question on volume control for the Modi with optical output (or Opti-Modi!)...

Just got mine, which will be hooked up thusly: Apple Lossless files > iTunes for Mac AirPlay > AirPort Express optical out > Modi > integrated amp.

I've read that the best practice for volume control is to use the integrated amp rather than using the Mac computer's device volume or the iTunes software volume.

If that's true, should I have the Mac and iTunes volumes set at the highest level? Any wisdom on this question would be much appreciated.

This is definitely true. Itunes will use bits in order to attenuate the signal digitally. Keep in mind that even if your original lossless files are 24/96 the AE optical will still only output 16/44.1 Your best bet is leaving the digital volume full and using analogue to control the volume.

May 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #75 of 102
  Well, my optical Modi stopped working.  Troubleshooting failed to nail down the problem, but I strongly suspect it's the Modi based on the things I could eliminate (and my years in tech support).  I emailed Schiit and they suggested a few troubleshooting steps that would have involved me tearing apart my entertainment center, so instead I decided to just return it as I'm still in the 15-day return window.

I understand that new products may have bad batches.  I'm not too upset about that.  I also was thinking about returning it anyways, as it wasn't a huge improvement over the DAC in my sound card, so it just made that decision easier.  I am a bit disappointed in their response to my ticket, though.  I don't know what I was expecting, but I would think they'd be more eager to help an early adopter of a new product that (potentially) failed within two weeks.

Ah well, time to save up for that Bifrost that I wanted in the first place.

I'm sure Nick just wanted you to check it with a different cable, and a different source--that's standard procedure before doing a rapid return/exchange.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back