Avant le Schiitstorm: A Couple of Small Announcements...
Jul 2, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #91 of 102

Control Freak has one big advantage: it's available in a balanced version. We recommend them all the time for people who want to run Gungnir output into monitors or directly into amps. Of course, the Control Freak is a single-input device.

I'll chime in for the Control Freak - it does work well and is very convenient with allowing passive volume control from the Mjolnir's balanced pre-outs to a pair of powered Airmotiv 4s monitors. Nice smooth rotation and has some heft to it. Plus, as quite a large, black volume control knob, it just looks cool sitting on my desk.Of note is the Control Freak is available in XLR and RCA variations.

https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/control-freak

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #92 of 102
Soo, as far as I know choosing between optical modi and usb modi is a choice between usb static and using up another wall outlet, or is there something else I need to know before buying one or the other?

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #93 of 102
i bought an optical modi and had problems with it.  i had to send it back in twice for repairs but Schiit definitely took care of me and i <3 them for it.  I swapped it out for a USB modi and am very happy.  I can't hear a discernable hiss but you may have better ears for it than me :) my schiit stack sounds amazing with my q701s

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #94 of 102
  Soo, as far as I know choosing between optical modi and usb modi is a choice between usb static and using up another wall outlet, or is there something else I need to know before buying one or the other?

What USB static are you talking about? From the 5V power source? How would that affect a digital signal?

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #95 of 102
  What USB static are you talking about? From the 5V power source? How would that affect a digital signal?

electromagnetic noise from the psu and the motherboard

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #98 of 102
It's doesn't have to be overt noise, "hissing", "buzzing", etc., the Wyrd lowers the noise floor, so the music you are listening to rises from a quieter "blacker" background.

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #100 of 102
  It's all anecdotal, but I've never gotten any noise or hiss through USB.

With most good computer equipment you won't experience noise through USB. Heck... if there's line noise in excess of what USB's native error connection can handle, that's bandwidth/speed being lost. That said, there are some crappy motherboards, addon cards, and chassis out there.

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #101 of 102

With most good computer equipment you won't experience noise through USB. Heck... if there's line noise in excess of what USB's native error connection can handle, that's bandwidth/speed being lost. That said, there are some crappy motherboards, addon cards, and chassis out there.

Well, it doesn't matter now I ordered Optical Modi, I figured that I can turn S/PDIF DAC into USB DAC with a converter or an external soundcard but not the other way around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back