Avant le Schiitstorm: A Couple of Small Announcements...
Apr 22, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #16 of 102
Is optical out an apple product thing? I stay far away from those overpriced fashion items.

It has nothing to do with apple, this is a standard audio. (A bit like the jack 1/4 format for example).

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #17 of 102
  Interesting announcements Jason, you have my attention. I'm eyeing the Sys for my studio. I have a simple question. Can the path be reversed to be 1-in/2-out? I'd like to use it for one source and switch between monitors with this.

It can, but only with the volume all the way up. Then it works as a switch.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 22, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #19 of 102
I think there would be a market for an actual switching box, with say 3 inputs and 1 output. That would be fantastic.

I ordered an optical Modi, it will be hooked up to my Apple TV. I'm already enjoying my SYS!

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #20 of 102
Nice, been needing something like the sys for my old ass receiver which technically only has one aux input and very limited range on the volume pot!!  Agreed on the three inputs - would be very nice but two is OK at this price.  The audiophile solutions I've scoped out tend to get real spendy.

Do any of the RCA's on the sys act as loop outs by any chance?

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #21 of 102
   I'm already enjoying my SYS!

In my state there are laws against that kind of thing. Sometimes it's hard to avoid, though. I understand. :)

Very tempting to get an optical Modi. Right now I'm taking the optical output from my LG TV, running it through a FiiO D07, which feeds to my JVC hybrid amp into speakers.

Works great. Fantastic performance for what it is.

Now the FiiO D07 converts various digital formats to analog stereo out. You can see here:

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000039443512&MenuID=105026003

Can the Modi optical handle these formats? Just wondering.

In truth, I feed my Blu Ray player and Roku, etc into the LG TV's HDMI ins, and the TV may already be doing the conversion before sending it to the D07, so it may be a moot point.

Still, glad to see all these options from Schiit!

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #22 of 102
  I think there would be a market for an actual switching box, with say 3 inputs and 1 output. That would be fantastic.

I ordered an optical Modi, it will be hooked up to my Apple TV. I'm already enjoying my SYS!

That was my thought when first seeing this. People buying them up to use as an attractive switching box for A/B comparisons of components. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #23 of 102
Whoops, what I meant to say was, 1 input and 3 outputs lol. I have 3 Schiit amps to run out of a Bifrost, so a nice switch box would be great for that.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #25 of 102
A beautiful and reasonably priced switch box with 1 input and 3 outputs would be really great!
As many others, I've been looking for one and every model I find is pretty expensive!

Guys from Schiit, think with great care about making a switch-box like that. 
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #26 of 102
Really happy that more companies are making pre-amp solutions for use with monitors.

Schiit Sys vs. Emotiva Control Freak would be interesting.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #27 of 102
  Really happy that more companies are making pre-amp solutions for use with monitors.

Schiit Sys vs. Emotiva Control Freak would be interesting.

Control Freak has one big advantage: it's available in a balanced version. We recommend them all the time for people who want to run Gungnir output into monitors or directly into amps. Of course, the Control Freak is a single-input device.

Balanced just wouldn't fit into a Modi-sized chassis, I'm afraid (nor would, say, three inputs or outputs.) We'd have to move up to something like Bifrost, which would get very spendy for a passive preamp/switcher for balanced, especially with an Alps RK27114 4-gang pot. Think $150+. Probably not worth it.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 22, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #29 of 102
I have heard with a good cable Fibre can be extended to 24/192 but it depends on the source as well but most of the time it plays at PCM quality? This is why I am forced to use analog multi-channel outputs from my Blu-Ray to my receiver (since it doesn't have HDMI input). This way, I am guaranteed the DTS-HD MA soundtrack vs. a PCM soundtrack on the Bluray discs (this also bypasses the internal DAC on the receiver and uses the more advance Wolfson 24bit/192khz DAC's that are built into the Bluray player for decoding purposes)

I just checked on the Schiit website it says: 
USB: 16/44.1 to 24/96, including 24/88.2
Optical: 16/44.1 to 24/192, including 24/88.2 and 24/176.4*
*Note: many optical transmitters cannot output 24/176 and 24/192 reliably

So the quality of the cable (maybe glass fiber vs. plastic fiber?) is a major determine factor of whether it will output 24/192 reliably (as well as the source, obviously)? In which case IF I get a good optical transmitter, technically it should sound better via optical than USB? It would make less of a difference I'm guessing on the Bifrost since it's USB 2.0 and can support the higher resolution through USB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back