Avant le Schiitstorm: A Couple of Small Announcements...
Apr 24, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #46 of 102
Quick Question:
When I use the Asgard connected directly from my laptop, I can hear a strange tizz that gets louder when I love the mice, scroll, and similar. It goes away If I use the Laptop on battery alone.
I was wondering If I use optical Modi if that would go away :D.

Yes it would since optical will cut electronic connection between dac and laptop. I have modi that has the same issue. You can fix this easily by using a USB isolator or the non recommended but cheap way is to use a cable or converter plug that doesn't have ground pin for your laptop adaptor. The second one is only save I'd you use a powerboard that has surge and trip protector.

Warning use the second method at your own risk . I never have issue with it but **** happens

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #47 of 102
Nah... Ill just get optical :D. I dont want to kill the ground to my laptop.
I assume this wont be an issue for the modi? Beeing conected to the Ground? :D.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #49 of 102
Well it took me a few hours to figure out the software side of things (how to get virtual surround working over the SPDIF output), but my Optimodi (the name on the included booklet) and SYS work great!  Thanks, Jason!

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #50 of 102
  Quick Question:
When I use the Asgard connected directly from my laptop, I can hear a strange tizz that gets louder when I move the mice, scroll, and similar. It goes away If I use the Laptop on battery alone.
I was wondering If I use optical Modi if that would go away :D.

Yes it probably would.  That is one of the main reasons to go with an external DAC - eliminates the noise caused by the all electronics inside the laptop.  Plus, the DACs in laptops are typically fairly poor quality, so you will get a bump in quality from that as well and get rid of the noise in the process.  Win win :)

Optical vs USB would be up to you...both should fix the problem.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Yes to the first quote, kinda yes to the 2nd. Now please don't take what I say as definitive, but literally every USB DAC (stand alone DAC/amp and USB headphones) I have used/owned over the years does the exact same thing; Through any analogue out, tiny tizzy clicking electronic sound that occurs when I use the mouse in any way, or the hard disk spooling may cause it, even typing can cause that noise. Even connecting the USB DAC to a dedicated powered hub by itself does not cure the problem. Keep in mind though that the USB DACs I have used were all USB 1.1 (and USB powered), so possibly USB 2.0 will alleviate that problem. Possibly the awesome quality components used in the Modi will prevent this from occurring.

Also take note that not all computer systems will cause the problem to occur; My iMac has 100% black noise (both built-in audio and USB DAC), but virtually every PC system I have built for myself and friends/family over the years has in one way or another, electrical noise interference through the USB to analogue. YMMV. 

I will confirm 100% that the optical option is the best way to go. You will never hear noise or interference as it is just light and not an electrical current. Not to mention the Modi optical has it's own external power adaptor so there will be no possible way that you will get any computer related interference. The downside is that it makes the unit not as portable. 
etysmile.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #52 of 102
Modi Optical, because USB sucks. :wink: I just placed my order tonight; it will be feeding an Asgard.

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #54 of 102
  I love the SYS, and its price. I just wish Schiit would actually change their design for once. But all in all, great deal.

Consistent design across products means economies of scale are achieved easier.  In other words, it keeps prices down for us when they use the same design a lot. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #55 of 102

Consistent design across products means economies of scale are achieved easier.  In other words, it keeps prices down for us when they use the same design a lot. 

Plus it's an aesthetically pleasing design across the board and makes for a "Schiit Look" that's minimalistic and at the same time expensive looking. I don't think I would want each piece to look completely different and quite like being able to recognize a Schiit product just by its unique and appealing design (and remember, Schiit was one of the only ones to manufacture it basically out of a piece of specially bent aluminium vs. pieces of metal bolted together. They made it look smooth, futuristic, and also saved on cost for them and for us). It's a premium looking finish that I quite like. The only thing I would suggest is making a "Limited Edition Black" or something like that where you would lacquer or paint it black. Some DIYers have done it already but a special limited edition colour would sell like hotcakes (especially if some mod was added to it, but even without that...) You could even serialize it by numbers like 1/500 or something like that :wink:

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #56 of 102
Plus it's an aesthetically pleasing design across the board and makes for a "Schiit Look" that's minimalistic and at the same time expensive looking. I don't think I would want each piece to look completely different and quite like being able to recognize a Schiit product just by its unique and appealing design (and remember, Schiit was one of the only ones to manufacture it basically out of a piece of specially bent aluminium vs. pieces of metal bolted together. They made it look smooth, futuristic, and also saved on cost for them and for us). It's a premium looking finish that I quite like. The only thing I would suggest is making a "Limited Edition Black" or something like that where you would lacquer or paint it black. Some DIYers have done it already but a special limited edition colour would sell like hotcakes (especially if some mod was added to it, but even without that...) You could even serialize it by numbers like 1/500 or something like that :wink:

They've actually done that already...

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #57 of 102
They've actually done that already...

Yes, sorry, my mistake, I just saw that they did, although this was from a mistake at the factory, it is quite cool! I think that's a better way to give variety than to change the designs completely. Anyway, they didn't paint it all black, just the main piece of metal so it was contrasting, maybe they can make a Super Black edition, or Lacquer black or something like that where it's all black :)

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #58 of 102
This is fantastic news.  I was looking for a simple optical input DAC to use with my AppleTV and was suprised how few options there were in the ~$100 price range.  Everything is USB or bad.

great move offering optical on the Modi.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #59 of 102
Yes, sorry, my mistake, I just saw that they did, although this was from a mistake at the factory, it is quite cool! I think that's a better way to give variety than to change the designs completely.

I agree. I personally really like the classy silver look, but I am sure they'd sell plenty if they had limited edition colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back