Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Sep 27, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #361 of 674
I'm using the Duracell alkalines too and sure they are a tight fit. Check out post #86 in this thread by sulcata geo. You can probably try that to compress the spring clips instead of waiting for it to loosen itself. I didnt do it though, I dont want to break anything
tongue.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #363 of 674
The SR71A battery compartment is definitely a little snugger than the SR71. The alkalines I've tried fit fine...but they're a little more difficult to get out (as they don't just fall out).

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinR70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone give a preliminary comparison to the Predator. I have a burned in Predator, but keep thinking a might need to try this amp. Thanks.

As an unsubstantiated impression...I liked the SR71A better out of the box than a burned in Predator (and I like the Predator). I haven't heard a Predator for several months, but the SR71A seems more open, dynamic, and natural. My ears are tuned to the old SR71 so I am likely biased.

Sep 27, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #364 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinR70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone give a preliminary comparison to the Predator. I have a burned in Predator, but keep thinking a might need to try this amp. Thanks.

I'm wrestling with this dilemma as well - I ABSOLUTELY love the pairing between the UE11 and the Predator. As nonsensical as it may sound, I'm hesitant to jump to the SR-71 because I'm lazy and I don't want to deal with switching out batteries hah

Sep 27, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #365 of 674
The alkalines I have fit loose with plenty of room. They slide in a out with total ease. :^)

Sep 27, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #366 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by user1029 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wrestling with this dilemma as well - I ABSOLUTELY love the pairing between the UE11 and the Predator. As nonsensical as it may sound, I'm hesitant to jump to the SR-71 because I'm lazy and I don't want to deal with switching out batteries hah

Consider this heavily for as much as I liked the original SR71 (and I did tons), the battery issue played a big part in me eventually selling it and going with a rechargeable alternative.

Sep 28, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #367 of 674
Well as far as changing batteries I have had mine on since Tues, just to burn it in. Normally it would be turned off during non listening periods so I don't think the batteries are a real issue. With alkalines you could listen for 6 hours a day for 10 days, maybe a little more. The sound is very, very well worth it.

edit: I just changed the batteries. They had drained down to 5.6 volts or so before it ran out of juice. With new batteries, yow dynamics galore on some live Grateful Dead. Thank the audio god the Grateful Dead didn't compress there music.

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #368 of 674
Sorry if I missed this before, but has anyone found a rechargeable that actually fits ?

I have the Accupower 270ma the width is fine but its length doesn't let me close the battery compartment without a gap.

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #369 of 674
I have to admit I'm surprised at the level of restrain I've seen here from trying to immediately pigeonhole the SR71A's performance.

Usually a new amp comes out and almost immediately there are swirls of impressions available on the forum. This time around (now 5 days later) there are "scores" of people burning in their amp and not saying much about how it sounds until it can be judged fully and fairly. Is this because this is a higher end portable that appeals to the hardcores with past experience? Is it because of it's older namesake which has such a sublime reputation? I don't know...but I find it curious (and kinda refreshing).

One non-related question to SR71A owners. I'm on my third set of batteries and noticed that the back panel is scratched up from the thumb nut spinning into the finish. It's only under the nut so you can't see anything when it's all assembled (so no big deal). My "old" SR71 and Hornet never did this, so maybe the back panel is softer than the other models, or the finish is more easily scratched.....

Anybody else see this happening?

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #370 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One non-related question to SR71A owners. I'm on my third set of batteries and noticed that the back panel is scratched up from the thumb nut spinning into the finish. It's only under the nut so you can't see anything when it's all assembled (so no big deal). My "old" SR71 and Hornet never did this, so maybe the back panel is softer than the other models, or the finish is more easily scratched.....

I experienced the same thing with my Tomahawk. Like you say, it's not a big deal since it's underneath where the screw sits.

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #371 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to admit I'm surprised at the level of restrain I've seen here from trying to immediately pigeonhole the SR71A's performance.

Usually a new amp comes out and almost immediately there are swirls of impressions available on the forum. This time around (now 5 days later) there are "scores" of people burning in their amp and not saying much about how it sounds until it can be judged fully and fairly. Is this because this is a higher end portable that appeals to the hardcores with past experience? Is it because of it's older namesake which has such a sublime reputation? I don't know...but I find it curious (and kinda refreshing).

The SR-71A shouldn't take anywhere near as long for the caps to form as the Predator. It should be more like 100 to 200 hours. I for one, want to digest what I am hearing or not hearing and don't want to jump to any conclusions. Right now I am burning in 4 amps that are daisy chained together. Interesting hearing the music coming from the forth amp at the end of the musical chain.

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #372 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if I missed this before, but has anyone found a rechargeable that actually fits ?

I have the Accupower 270ma the width is fine but its length doesn't let me close the battery compartment without a gap.

This question keeps coming up, and Ray Samuels has responded to it in his Member Of The Trade, Sponsored SR-71A Thread. As a convenience, here is his response:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the Tysonic Maha rechargeable batrteries & many others, they all fit. You have to push hard on the back panel & then turn the thumb nut. Remeber the battery posts are new & they resist the pressure.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

This should also improve on the issue of the thumb nut pressure scraping the finish on the back panel, with fingers providing the pressure and the thumb nuts being snugged up on an already-pushed-in back panel.

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #373 of 674
I notice the circular scratch that the thumb screw puts on the back plate too. If you look at the thumb screw closely, you'll see that the 2 flat side of the thumb screw is different, on one side, the edges are actualy tapered and smoothed, and on the other side, the edges are sharp. The tapered side of the screw should be the side facing the black plate when you screw the thumb screw on, as the tapered side won't scratch the back plate as easily.

Sep 28, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #374 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tranzaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice the circular scratch that the thumb screw puts on the back plate too. If you look at the thumb screw closely, you'll see that the 2 flat side of the thumb screw is different, on one side, the edges are actualy tapered and smoothed, and on the other side, the edges are sharp. The tapered side of the screw should be the side facing the black plate when you screw the thumb screw on, as the tapered side won't scratch the back plate as easily.

I noticed that the first time I took them off and figured the side with the raised center section would of course go to the case, which keep most of the thumb screw away from the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back