Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Sep 25, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #346 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your wish is my command my friend, see my post #72
in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/an...51/index8.html

You made the right choice making it the same size as the iPod Classic IMO.
beerchug.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #347 of 674
I got up this morning. The SR-71A didn't sound so great. I assumed either my hearing or a phase, my hearing or the amp. Tonight with it running all day the sound is blooming. Very open with a beautiful reverb on my live recording by the Grateful Dead, Terrapin Station. I actually thought I was still plugged into my Woo 6. I was thinking, because I have the Woo turned on, that the different rectifier I had just put in was sounding very fine. Then I looked down and wondered, were is the headphone cable? It was plugged into the 71A. Talk about a blind study. :^) No the the Woo 6 modified and the SR-71A do not sound just alike but the 71A sounded so good and I was enjoying it so much that I could only assume I was listening to my home amp and my 6 does change sound with different rectifiers.

Well the journey continues.

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #348 of 674
Hrm....This is a very intriguing little amp. Maybe after I sell my iBasso Boa I can pick this up
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #349 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got up this morning. The SR-71A didn't sound so great. I assumed either my hearing or a phase, my hearing or the amp. Tonight with it running all day the sound is blooming. Very open with a beautiful reverb on my live recording by the Grateful Dead, Terrapin Station. I actually thought I was still plugged into my Woo 6. I was thinking, because I have the Woo turned on, that the different rectifier I had just put in was sounding very fine. Then I looked down and wondered, were is the headphone cable? It was plugged into the 71A. Talk about a blind study. :^) No the the Woo 6 modified and the SR-71A do not sound just alike but the 71A sounded so good and I was enjoying it so much that I could only assume I was listening to my home amp and my 6 does change sound with different rectifiers.

Well the journey continues.

That's pretty funny.

Tonight I was listening to various headphones, and I thought I was listening to my Koss ESP950 electrostatics via Woo GES prototype - when I reached up to my head to take them off I found that I was listening to my HD600 through a $400 Grahm Slee NOVO discrete SS amp.

I can tell the difference, but I was enjoying myself so much that I assumed I was still listening to the stats. Great minds get distracted alike!

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #350 of 674
Yes, that is it, Great Minds. lol

I am ordering some of the new lithium rechargeables that have a storage of 500mA's! I am also getting some other types.

Back to the SR71, there were some preferences with regards to batteries used. I wonder since the eneloop AAA sound the best to me in applications that use AA or AAA, how the low discharge 9 volts would be? And then there is the true 9.6 volt, 9 volt and 8 something volt.

Sep 27, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #352 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just placed the order on a white SR-71A. Excited
smily_headphones1.gif

What color? Geez, I'm excited too. Your going to have a great time.

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #354 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tranzaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone know if the 9.6 volt battery will work?

Sure it will. Any of the 9 volt batteries will work if they fit. I have a pair of the 9.6 rechargeables coming.

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #355 of 674
Quote:

Sure it will. Any of the 9 volt batteries will work if they fit. I have a pair of the 9.6 rechargeables coming.

i do have some 9.6v rechargables batteries coming too! glad to hear it will work. Wanted to order some lithium 9v initially but the shipping for it is just not worth it!

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #356 of 674
What would the shipping for the lithium be?

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #357 of 674
I was told the Powerex 9.6v were too long for the SR-71a. Hmmm. I use them in my HR Micro DAC and Micro Amp because the higher mah batteries are too fat to fit in it, while at least these are not too long. I never tested battery life though.

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #358 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was told the Powerex 9.6v were too long for the SR-71a. Hmmm. I use them in my HR Micro DAC and Micro Amp because the higher mah batteries are too fat to fit in it, while at least these are not too long. I never tested battery life though.

Don't you be saying they won't fit! :^) I read that they have been resized. If they are slightly too long I don't care the back plate doesn't have to fit snug there is leeway with the thumb screws.

Well I hope they fit. Maybe it was another 9.6 that I read had been resized. It is the 9 volt lithium rechargeable that was resized. Oh well, I hope they fit. Now where is that hammer??

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #359 of 674
Quote:

Don't you be saying they won't fit! :^) I read that they have been resized. If they are slightly too long I don't care the back plate doesn't have to fit snug there is leeway with the thumb screws.

Well I hope they fit. Maybe it was another 9.6 that I read had been resized. It is the 9 volt lithium rechargeable that was resized. Oh well, I hope they fit. Now where is that hammer??

Well, you can always use an exacto knife to trim the battery shorter.
tongue.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #360 of 674
Okay guys, here's the deal. I was the one who originally said the Powerex 230mAh 9.6v batteries would not fit. When I received my amp, I had those batteries charged and ready to go. (I also use them for my Headroom Micro gear.) And at the time, the batteries slid in okay but I could not fit the back plate on flush. There was a 1/16" gap. Not wanting this, I ran to buy Duracell alkalines which are about 1/32" shorter and still had to tighten the screws very tight to get the back plate on flush.

After they expired, I used another set of Duracells and just today charged up some new Accupower 300mAh 8.4v batteries.

So earlier tonight I just measured the Accupowers vs the Powerex and they're the same length! &^$@!

So, anyway I tried the Accupowers and now realized they are thicker than the Powerex! Double &^$@!

I had trouble getting the first one in, but the second one went in easier although I was still forcing the issue.

Bottom line is that with a little extra pressure (read "a lot") I was able to get the Accupowers in and the back plate flush. It seems that with a little time, the spring clips that contact the batteries give and allow the use of slightly longer rechargeables after all.

Sleep well, my friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back