Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Aug 19, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #196 of 674
Awh.. What ever happened to the hype on this thread?
And if I remembered correctly, the SR71a was supposed to be released a few days after this thread was made.

Did something in manufacturing go wrong?

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #198 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awh.. What ever happened to the hype on this thread?
And if I remembered correctly, the SR71a was supposed to be released a few days after this thread was made.

Did something in manufacturing go wrong?

No official time of release was ever given (just some anecdotal comments). I am VERY expectant but I'm exercising zen-ful patience
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #199 of 674
I hope we can get back on track about the SR-71a.

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #200 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope we can get back on track about the SR-71a.

You beat me to it.

I'll be purchasing the SR-71a when its ready. I think its going to be another 2-3 weeks.

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #201 of 674
Ok guys, I ended up seeing agreat deal on a Pico (amp only) and bought it - because frankliy I couldn't afford it otherwise or wait that long.

Here are a few differences - mind you that this is not a side by side discussion because I obviously do not have the SR-71a and iQube with me.

SR-71a vs. iQube vs. Pico

- iQube is a quite literally "what goes in is what comes out" kind of amp. It adds realism and space, but I would never call it a musical or really have a house sound. Think of a Headsix, only that much beter in every quality. It is very sweet and polite, showing everything as is.

- Pico is a warm neutral that does color the sound and has more of a focus on bringing a more emotional and cleaner sound to the music. The iQube and Pico have very similar qualities in terms of sound. With low impedence headphones (IEM's for example), the Pico does a better job IMO and seems to be much more designed around being a "portable" amp. If you are talking ESW9's or high impedence....I would have to say that the iQube and SR-71a are better. (Currently have a set of ESW9's on loan from a friend)

-SR-71a is a warm neutral that I would truely call in the class of high quality Home amps. There is the "House Sound", but to a lesser degree than that of the Predator, Hornet, or Tomahawk. There is the solid low end, but it seems that here is more sparkle and top end than I have heard in the past amps. Also, it is important to note that this amp does the best with full sized headphones of ANY portable amp and yes, quite a few home amps as well. It really did drive everything thrown at it with ease (did not try the k340's though).

My rankings according to headphone type

Low impedence IEM's (Custom FreQ)
1. Pico
2. iQube + SR-71a

Mid-Impedence (Grado, Audio Technica)
1. iQube + SR-71a
3. Pico (certain grados are an exception here)

High Impedence(Sennheiser, AKG)
1. SR-71a
2. iQube
3. Pico

The iQube and SR-71a are on the same par, however, I consider the SR-71a the better when it comes to musicallity and presentation. Staging is different between the two, but hard to describe. The SR-71a definately seemed to me to have much more push while the iQube was more polite. Again - preferences.

It should be noted some of the design differences between the iQube with its class D and the full dual mono of the more traditional SR-71a. The Pico, while being an exceptional little amp with sound and size just did not seem to m be equal to a home amp. I would not suggest having it as your only amplifier if you have Senn's for instance because you will not get the most out those particular headphones.

If you talk Pico vs. Predator - tha is a battle for another day!

Pricing....

All I know is that Ray said that it would be more than the original SR-71, but I have no idea just how much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You people who have listened to one, Germania, etc:

Do you think the SR71a sounds better than a Pico (no DAC version from non computer source)?
Which do you think will arrive faster (supposedly the wait on the Pico is @ 2 months)

I'm getting the impression that the SR71a will be in the $500 range. So maybe a < $400 non-DAC Pico is a better deal?

What I'm hearing about the old SR71 is the big sound stage and the desktop amp like sound. This is what is attractive to me. Is this quality missing in the Pico (provided your headphones are of sufficient quality)?

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #202 of 674
thanks Germania.

I've had the iQube for a while and your comments are spot on. I'm definitely going to try the SR-71a. I owned the RSA XP-7 for years. Fabulous amp. If the SR-71a gives me that kind of sound in a smaller package, I'll be a very happy chappy.

The other amp that's on my list to try is the Rudistor XJ-03. Its still very new but initial impressions seem to be very promising.

The journey for better sound never ends.

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #203 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Low impedence IEM's (Custom FreQ)
1. Pico
2. iQube + SR-71a

Mid-Impedence (Grado, Audio Technica)
1. iQube + SR-71a
3. Pico (certain grados are an exception here)

High Impedence(Sennheiser, AKG)
1. SR-71a
2. iQube
3. Pico

The iQube and SR-71a are on the same par, however, I consider the SR-71a the better when it comes to musicallity and presentation. Staging is different between the two, but hard to describe. The SR-71a definately seemed to me to have much more push while the iQube was more polite. Again - preferences.

It should be noted some of the design differences between the iQube with its class D and the full dual mono of the more traditional SR-71a. The Pico, while being an exceptional little amp with sound and size just did not seem to m be equal to a home amp. I would not suggest having it as your only amplifier if you have Senn's for instance because you will not get the most out those particular headphones.

If you talk Pico vs. Predator - tha is a battle for another day!

Pricing....

All I know is that Ray said that it would be more than the original SR-71, but I have no idea just how much.

Wow, you put down a great bunch of information. Getting anxious again. :^)

So what was it about IEM's that you preferred with the Pico that the 71a didn't do, from what you heard. I realize that this was not a side by side.

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #206 of 674
Well, in this case an analogy will explain it better.

I think that the SR-71a with IEM's still sound great, but it is like a car...

SR-71a is like a large sedan and the Pico is like a small coupe.

IEM's are like city driving. The small coupe is going to do the better job with driving in the city. Efficient, clean, and goes when it is supposed to. It carries small loads very well! Large loads are better handled by the sedan because the coupe will lag by comparison.

I would call the Pico a true portable in design and function. SR-71a is in the in-between of full sized amp and "portable" - albeit far smaller than a Lisa!

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #207 of 674
Ok, so where are the car people? I need some further explanation. :^)

Just kidding.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #208 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think its going to be another 2-3 weeks.

I may get something else then. I'm really not liking the Voyager with my IEMs...

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #210 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may get something else then. I'm really not liking the Voyager with my IEMs...

sorry for thread jacking but...

sorry you aren't liking the voyager mate, I think its a shame, good luck on your amp hunting.

If this was a month or two from now I may very well have bought it back off ya lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back