Available - RSA "The Black Bird" SR-71A, Redesigned, Resized AMP images page 1,28, 33, 34, 39 . Mini review: 40, 41, 45 .
Aug 22, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #211 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may get something else then. I'm really not liking the Voyager with my IEMs...

I have to say that making a buying -- or not buying -- decision based upon information contained in the last two posts by Germania is really ill-advised. She has owned the Pico (dac-free version) for a day and has only heard the prototype SR-71A at an afternoon meet where I am sure she did not spend all of her time listening to it. I am not sure what her experience is with the iQube and whether that was only at a meet also. As she points out herself, NONE of the comparisons were done side-by-side and they are ALL based on sound memory, which is a very hard thing to do. No offense to Germania, and without speaking to the specifics such as the oxymoronic term "warm neutral," but these comments are not a sound basis for deciding anything.

I own an SR-71 and have used it for years. I use it far more with IEMs than with full-size phones, and it sounds fantastic with my Shure E500s and with other IEMs I have owned such as the SuperFi 5 Pro. I also own the Pico (w/dac) and listen to it also with both IEMs and full-sized cans. Using an iPod and therefore amp-only on the Pico, I prefer the sound of the SR-71 with IEMs. If I use the Pico in dac mode from a laptop it has a much better sound overall than the iPod/SR-71 or iPod/Pico. I am not writing a review here, because I have not done the type of critical side-by-side comparisons I think are necessary for a review, but these are my experiences based on a lot of usage.

The new SR-71A model will have some changes, but I doubt it will be an entirely different animal. I understand that it will have some gain setting choices so that IEMs would be fully supported and expected to be a primary use with such a portable amp. Maybe people should wait to make decisions until they have a chance to hear the new amp or at least have access to some detailed comparisons.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #212 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry for thread jacking but...

sorry you aren't liking the voyager mate, I think its a shame, good luck on your amp hunting.

If this was a month or two from now I may very well have bought it back off ya lol

I don't dislike it as such. Its fantastic with the ER-4S but I just got my UE-11 & its really not a good match to my ears.

The only other portable I have ATM is a Headsix & it matches better (to my ears) but it has a slight channel imbalance that really puts me off sometimes so I'm looking to get something quite quickly.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #213 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say that making a buying -- or not buying -- decision based upon information contained in the last two posts by Germania is really ill-advised. She has owned the Pico (dac-free version) for a day and has only heard the prototype SR-71A at an afternoon meet where I am sure she did not spend all of her time listening to it. I am not sure what her experience is with the iQube and whether that was only at a meet also. As she points out herself, NONE of the comparisons were done side-by-side and they are ALL based on sound memory, which is a very hard thing to do. No offense to Germania, and without speaking to the specifics such as the oxymoronic term "warm neutral," but these comments are not a sound basis for deciding anything.

I own an SR-71 and have used it for years. I use it far more with IEMs than with full-size phones, and it sounds fantastic with my Shure E500s and with other IEMs I have owned such as the SuperFi 5 Pro. I also own the Pico (w/dac) and listen to it also with both IEMs and full-sized cans. Using an iPod and therefore amp-only on the Pico, I prefer the sound of the SR-71 with IEMs. If I use the Pico in dac mode from a laptop it has a much better sound overall than the iPod/SR-71 or iPod/Pico. I am not writing a review here, because I have not done the type of critical side-by-side comparisons I think are necessary for a review, but these are my experiences based on a lot of usage.

The new SR-71A model will have some changes, but I doubt it will be an entirely different animal. I understand that it will have some gain setting choices so that IEMs would be fully supported and expected to be a primary use with such a portable amp. Maybe people should wait to make decisions until they have a chance to hear the new amp or at least have access to some detailed comparisons.

Germania's posts had nothing to do with my decision. Its just the time frame of the release.

2 months ago the expected release date (although pure guess work) was a month. We're all still waiting & no updates have come about. I'm not knocking Ray here. He never suggested that he would keep anyone updated or gave a date.

Its just I'm not happy with my current set up & I'm itching to get something new.

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #214 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Germania's posts had nothing to do with my decision. Its just the time frame of the release.

2 months ago the expected release date (although pure guess work) was a month. We're all still waiting & no updates have come about. I'm not knocking Ray here. He never suggested that he would keep anyone updated or gave a date.

Its just I'm not happy with my current set up & I'm itching to get something new.

Understood. I'm still getting used to the new quoting scheme and didn't focus on the post you quoted. In any event, my points still stand for anybody reading this thread.

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #215 of 674
If I had to venture a guess, I would say that Ray will not release anything until all of the 71a's are completely finished and ready to ship, since there will be a limited number to go around.

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #216 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had to [size=large]venture [/size]a guess, I would say that Ray will not release anything until all of the 71a's are completely finished and ready to ship, since there will be a limited number to go around.

go_team_venture.jpg

[size=xx-large][size=small]-=GO TEAM VENTURE!=-[/size]
[/size]

Aug 22, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #218 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^You gotta be one of the coolest guys on the planet.^^^
You know anybody from Macon?

Sorry, but the last--and pretty-much the only--time I was cool was the summer of 1977. But since you're from Indiana I understand fully how you could perceive me as such.
tongue.gif
(j/k, sort of
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Haven't been to Macon in the couple years I've been down here (originally from Chicago).
smile.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #219 of 674
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But since you're from Indiana I understand fully how you could perceive me as such.
tongue.gif
(j/k, sort of
bigsmile_face.gif
)

(originally from Chicago).
smile.gif

Originally from WNC(mountains). Only lived in Indiana for 'bout 4yrs. That's three too many.
icon10.gif

Wanna trade???

Aug 23, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #221 of 674
Had you been in Chicago in August, you could have joined us for the mini meet and listened to the 71a, with a plethora of headphones, as well as admire its pcb in all its naked glory.
I'de like to think that is one of the only good reasons I live here now, aside from the chance to meet and socialize with some awesome Head-Fiers, much like yourself no doubt.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #224 of 674
I am curious as well. Looking for a new amp and am about to pull the trigger on an iQube....but want to see how this one shapes up.

RIDE

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #225 of 674
He was out of town for a few days. Maybe soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back