Available Now: The Element by JDS Labs
Jun 18, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #51 of 124
Can you give me some idea of what this item is?  Is it a device that's plugged into other devices and then plug your earphones into as well?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
gs1000.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #53 of 124
  Can you give me some idea of what this item is?  Is it a device that's plugged into other devices and then plug your earphones into as well?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
gs1000.gif

this item is a dac/amp combo unit. you will connect it via usb to your laptop/computer and use its headphone jack to connect to headphones.

A dac is a digital to analog converter. you can think of it as a "sound card" if it makes it easier to understand its function. A "sound card" has a dac in it. your computer and smartphone will already have a dac in it as well. The reason to purchase a nicer dac is primarily for sound quality benefits. the scaling up of your sound quality will depend on how nice of a dac is already in your current source device and how nice the external dac that you are adding on. relatively speaking, external components (like dac/damps) generally have a lesser impact on sound quality than headphones.

A amp provides additional power for your headphones. the majority of consumer-level headphones do not require additional power. high impedance dynamic driver headphones (250ohm+ to 600 ohms) and most planar magnetic driver headphones will always require an dedicated headphone amplifier. If your headphone's impedance is somewhere around 35ohms with a efficiency at least in the mid-90s or above, you will not need an amplifier. however, there are people who say that an amplifier also improves the sound quality of easily-powered headphones to a degree as well.

From my personal experience, YMMV and other people may disagree: for easy-to-drive headphones, I've noticed more sonic improvements with a nicer dac and not much of a difference with amps. with harder-to-drive headphones, I've notice more scaling of sound quality with a nice amplifier but the addition of the dac at the entry-level price point usually makes a bigger sonic difference for me.

Hope this information is helpful.

ps: was joking about the glowing lights affecting SQ in my previous posts for anyone new around here =P hahah

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #54 of 124
Jun 18, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #59 of 124
this is just gorgeous and so clean.  any pics of the 'glow'?

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #60 of 124
I want this. Surprised to see an analog INPUT as opposed to an output which is more common for amp/dacs. That to me is a BENEFIT, not a detriment as I feel one would have more sources to hook up to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back