Auzen X-Fi™ Forte 7.1
Jun 12, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #122 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluework /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But drived correctly K701 with Auzentech it's possible ?

Absolutely.

Quote:

in your opinion, for games, the K701 will be good ?

Not so much.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #123 of 302
The games for me it's just casual.
I currently have a headphone at least $15 to troubleshoot so ... xD

Thank you very much for all your quick responses
happy_face1.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #124 of 302
Quote:

The games for me it's just casual.
I currently have a headphone at least $15 to troubleshoot so ... xD

Thank you very much for all your quick responses
happy_face1.gif

Currently for gaming there is no better one card solution then a Forte 7.1 or Prelude 7.1. Those cards are the pinnacle of effect based gaming audio.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #125 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently for gaming there is no better one card solution then a Forte 7.1 or Prelude 7.1. Those cards are the pinnacle of effect based gaming audio.

I agree, the Forte is excellent for gaming. The positional audio in Fallout 3, Half-Life, and Crysis is far better than my old Audigy 2. Instead of sounds seeming to come from about 8 discrete directions, it sounds far more continuous.

The on board headphone amplifier is halfway decent. Probably the best amplifier I've heard for any non-USB sound card. I've listened to it with my DT880's connected directly, and with a PPAv2 and a Little-dot MKIV inbetween. Obviously, the MKIV sounds the best out of all those configurations, but the sound card driving headphones directly sounds surprisingly good.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #126 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by natrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, the Forte is excellent for gaming. The positional audio in Fallout 3, Half-Life, and Crysis is far better than my old Audigy 2. Instead of sounds seeming to come from about 8 discrete directions, it sounds far more continuous.

The on board headphone amplifier is halfway decent. Probably the best amplifier I've heard for any non-USB sound card. I've listened to it with my DT880's connected directly, and with a PPAv2 and a Little-dot MKIV inbetween. Obviously, the MKIV sounds the best out of all those configurations, but the sound card driving headphones directly sounds surprisingly good.

Yes, not too bad for a onbaord amplifier for sure. As I noted awhile back it is a proprietary design using 12 discrete transistors for amplification.
I tested this card for quite awhile gaming and testing out various aspects. I have the Prelude also both are great cards for gaming.

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #127 of 302
So, if used for listening to music on decent speakers, which card would be the better option: the Forte or the Essence STX?

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #129 of 302
So... i am deciding between this and the Xonar STX.

Does the swappable opamp have anything to do with the headphone amplifier stage, or is that only for the front line out on the 15 pin breakout connector?

Since they are using a JRC4580 as a buffer opamp in the headphone amplifier stage, would there be a large improvement in desoldering this and soldering a better one on? (this might be a stupid question)

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #130 of 302
I'm having trouble with the mic. In every steam game I've tried, whether I have a mic plugged in or not, whether mic is disabled or turned on it doesn't work. It will make repeating noise. Like in L4D when I click mic test, it will play part of the into song and repeat it until static. I have Vista 64 and latest driver. Any suggestions?

edit: Figured it out. Sound>Recording>set microphone as default device

Also for people having trouble with interference from GPU - Position of the card in the slot seems to effect the amount of interference/humming you hear. I first tried it in the 1st PCI-E slot and it wasn't fitting right, it would hang down a bit before I screwed it in. What I noticed was there would be no interference when it wasn't screwed in, then when I screwed it in there was a large amount of humming when using headphones. I played around with it, adjusting it different ways. I ended up switching it to the second PCI-E slot, where it fit better and gave considerably less interference. I also loosened the screw a bit and that helped. There is still some humming on occasion, but I can live with it.

Jun 26, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #131 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solarfall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having trouble with the mic. In every steam game I've tried, whether I have a mic plugged in or not, whether mic is disabled or turned on it doesn't work. It will make repeating noise. Like in L4D when I click mic test, it will play part of the into song and repeat it until static. I have Vista 64 and latest driver. Any suggestions?

edit: Figured it out. Sound>Recording>set microphone as default device

Also for people having trouble with interference from GPU - Position of the card in the slot seems to effect the amount of interference/humming you hear. I first tried it in the 1st PCI-E slot and it wasn't fitting right, it would hang down a bit before I screwed it in. What I noticed was there would be no interference when it wasn't screwed in, then when I screwed it in there was a large amount of humming when using headphones. I played around with it, adjusting it different ways. I ended up switching it to the second PCI-E slot, where it fit better and gave considerably less interference. I also loosened the screw a bit and that helped. There is still some humming on occasion, but I can live with it.

You could isolate the card bracket with paper washers??

I'm interested in buying a Forte, has anyone given a recent review or A/B test with upgraded opamps?

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #132 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could isolate the card bracket with paper washers??

I'm interested in buying a Forte, has anyone given a recent review or A/B test with upgraded opamps?

See ROBSCIX's review at Guru3d.

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #133 of 302
Hi

I have just ordered the x-fi forte 7.1. One of the reasons for ordering forte was that it didnt require additional power like Xonar DX-XD. Currently i am using a Audigy 2 ZS PCI, it seems to have somewhat mediocre vista drivers and its a very old card anyway. Still waiting for my forte to arrive.

My setup runs like this audigy 2 zs ... behringer amp 800 ... akg k601

I am well aware that the behringer amp is not exactly the best amp you can buy, but it is something to get me started.

I like running my k601 thru the behringer as it keeps the cord longer and more usable, but i am not sure about the sound quality of behringer. Audigy helped with the quality quite a bit, and i am expecting x-fi forte to do better. But i am wondering if i should just plug my headphones straight to x-fi forte, or is the sound quality loss negligible?.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #134 of 302
AFAIK Berhinger always puts crappy op-amps like the NJM5532...so putting some good ones on the Forte would be a major SQ improvement IMO, even though it also runs a JRC4580 on the phones out...which is actually even worse than the 5532
redface.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #135 of 302
Switching op-amps seems like an interesting feature and not that difficult judging from the few videos i have seen. However i really wish forte's "stock" SQ will be a noticeable improvement over my audigy 2 zs, reading the reviews i am pretty confident the SQ will be adequate. For a moment i thought about getting the essence stx but i came to the conclusion that behringer is the most likely component to run out of SQ, so my next purchase will likely be a behringer replacement (looking at lehmann rhinelander).

To my understanding forte runs LME4972 for headphones (front left,right). For other channels its the ordinary JRC4580.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back