Auzen X-Fi™ Forte 7.1
Feb 19, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #61 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm checking this card out as well for replacing my x-fi.

On the site it states the following:

3.5mm(1/8 ”) stereo mini-phone jack: Includes an independent Headphone amp and can activate an impedance 16Ω ~ 600Ω headphone or earphone

Would this mean i shouldn't use my Little Dot I+ anymore? As apparently it can even power over 300 impedance??

Also, it's a low profile card. I have a big tower... so... is it any use for me to go for the Forte instead of the prelude? Does a low profile card have any disadvantages towards a normal profile card?

I bought this to replace my xfi extreme Gamer it is a big improvement over it. It will drive headphones such as HD650 that I have, but you wouldnt need to use the little dot, but I would try them both see which you prefer.

The low profile card has an adapter to allow it to fit in a normal case, there are no disadvantages that I can see in it being low profile. in fact it can be an advantage in cases where the GPU is allowed to recieve more airflow, because of the low profile.

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #63 of 302
No comments on the Creative Auto mode Switcher?

I know a few of use may have used the 3rd party X-fi mode switcher that was out there for a CL X-fi or the Prelude. I seen this awhile ago but haven't had much time to check it out properly.

Anybody mess with this with their Forte'?

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #65 of 302
Yes, I have noticed it doesn't have very many features. One feature I noticed that I do like, is the ability to select which mode the card swicthes to before and after the application.
- I cannot remember if the 3rd party app allowed this or not.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #67 of 302
I wasn't totally sure on that feature, been awhile since I used the app as I said. Either way it is a cool feature.

Many people like to complain about the Modal driver structure...I used a Prelude for a long time and now use this card also, I don't mind the modes as it puts the DSP's power where it is needed at the time.

although it makes it much easier to have a application change the modes based on what I load up.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #68 of 302
For people using the Forte, will it allow a Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect output on the SPDIF digital and still allow headphones connected to the rear (amplified) headphone jack? (Ideally, with CMSS 3D headphone effects independent of the DDLive or DTS Connect 5.1 digital output?)

The Oxygen-chip based Claro Halo XT I'm testing, when using anything but PCM stereo (like DD Live, DTS Connect) disables headphone entirely (yes, negating the wonderful headphone amp circuit it is marketed as having.) I feed a tactile feedback (buttkicker) system that is now set up as 2.1 (coming off a receiver) since it is stereo for one device+ LFE/sub on the Buttkicker.

Anyway, it would be nice to output a multichannel digital output from this card to my receiver AND be able to listen to the onboard headphone amp at the same time for gaming. How does this work on the Forte? For instance, I understand, unlike the PCI versions of the cards, the newer X-Fi and Auzen X-Fi Forte (that are PCI express based) allow a digital output with the EAX/CMSS effects in the mix, wherease the older (but still current) cards didn't? Hoping this also allows DD Live via optical+ CMSS headphone on the amped output?!

I need to pay a 15% restock to send back my Claro Halo XT so I don't want to order the Forte until I learn a little more about the digital and heaphone outputs.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #69 of 302
I can't confirm your question mikemav, but my guess would be no. The Forte control panel setting says "send stereo mix to digital output". I don't think it could encode CMSS, etc. and then again into DDL or DTS.

ROBSCIXI ended up not using the 'Auto Mode Switcher' that came with the Forte. I had it set to revert back to game mode when Firefox was closed, but it decided to revert when I closed the download window, and not the main program?!?! This would also cause havoc if I had iTunes AND Firefox open and decided to close one of them.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #70 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by 43st /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't confirm your question mikemav, but my guess would be no. The Forte control panel setting says "send stereo mix to digital output". I don't think it could encode CMSS, etc. and then again into DDL or DTS.

Thanks. I saw one thing in the Forte manual I downloaded to review which mentioned EAX3D+DDL:
"Settings:Use the Settings window to activate Dolby Digital Live,
which supports EAX3D and Multi-channel surround
sound. " pg 23

Also user 43st quoted back earlier in this thread:
I'm still very happy with the card, and the ability to use CMSS-3d headphone thru the S/pdif!

So that is what I was going on thinking the effects/processing could be output on the SPDIF. Still not sure though if multichannel output on SPDIF makes the headphone output disabled.

If someone has the card, can you set it to Dolby Digital Live mode, spdif output, and then plug in headphones and see if there is sound (or a way to enable them?) I'll also email Auzentech support to see if they'll answer this pre-sale question.

Thanks

Mar 24, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #71 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ASUS Maximus Formula

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no whine

I'm of the opinion that premium 8 layer boards such as the Maximus will not have issues w/ sound cards. Whereas less complex 4 layer boards like my DFI Dark P965-S and Abit IP-35 Pro both suffered from some sort of whine or SCP throughout my various X-Fis.

I've come to love my Maximus as it's become my all time favorite board. Excellent layout, superior reliability when overclocking, and it plays very nice w/ an X-Fi. About 9 months ago, I sort of rolled over my Elite Pro and put it to rest. I've been using the terrible Supreme FX II onboard Soundmax since that time. I'd really wanted the Prelude, but become wary of the numerous mic complaints, something the onboard does very, very well.

A fellow on [H]ardforum explained the mic issue had since been fixed on the Forte. So I finally took the plunge and eagerly await the man in the brown van's arrival this Wednesday. My question to you sir is 2fold.

1. Would you mind snapping a few pics of the board and sound card?
2. How does the rear mic sound when used in game? ie. Left 4 Dead?

Since this seems to be a solid impressions/fixes thread, I'll be sure to spam it up after receiving the goods! After all, a LAN party this Saturday depends on CMSS3D to "cheat" for me!
beyersmile.png
ph34r.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #72 of 302
Anyone roll OpAmps on this card yet? Will it fit a side-by-side brown dog 8 dip? It looks like it might - but it would be close.

I use my PC for music and games - I currently have an Xonar DX and have been pretty disappointed by the EAX "emulation" for gaming - though I don't really have any complaints on the music side of things.

I'm really interested to hear impressions from users that have heard/used this card (or the Prelude) and an Xonar card.

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #73 of 302
I have tested many opamps with the Forte 7.1
If your opamps module is too big to fit in the opamps socket you can get Dip socket and extend the socket upwards clearing the caps.

The Forte' is great for gaming and has great sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back