Aussie & NZ Head-Fiers Corner
Feb 4, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #1,231 of 1,320
Feb 4, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #1,232 of 1,320
Will check out your review today. Nice work.

How long you been posting reviews over there?

Thanks mate!

I've been writing there for a few years.

Full scope of my reviews available here:

https://www.stereo.net.au/associated-posts/40

Nice review, mate! Now I'll have the answer next time I get asked the "who makes the best NC headphone" question!

Thanks mate. For years I cringed at the question itself..

I remember one time I emailed Billy for a recommendation on NC and he wrote back saying "Oh no!!"

Classic - I felt the same way!

How have you guys all been?

Feb 5, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #1,233 of 1,320
Thanks mate!

I've been writing there for a few years.

Full scope of my reviews available here:

https://www.stereo.net.au/associated-posts/40

I remember one time I emailed Billy for a recommendation on NC and he wrote back saying "Oh no!!"

How have you guys all been?

I had a year of poor health (adrenal fatigue) last year, but much better now and back into life - just pacing myself better. Back to enjoying music and Head-Fi, etc.

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #1,235 of 1,320

For me the best NC headphone, from a sound quality perspective is the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7NC, though the noise-cancelling ability is nowhere near that of the QC35s, MDR1000Xs, and the PSC550s.

Ultimately the moment you introduce ANC, the sound quality is going to suffer, but the MSR7NC is the best I've heard to date,

// Alex

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,236 of 1,320
Sorry to hear about your poor health mate, glad to hear you're doing better.

Still living the rotary engine life?

Yes, still a Rotary man. Had to get a new diff last year, but it lead to a slight handling improvement so who's complaining!?

By the way, crew, I finished a new video review last night if anyone's interested. I'm trying to get my views up so YouTube will take me seriously :wink: any views and/or shares would be hugely appreciated

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #1,237 of 1,320
By the way, crew, I finished a new video review last night if anyone's interested.[/MEDIA]

Solid review mate, keep up the good work!

PS, to everyone following my quest for Bottlehead gear, my quest has lead to a positive end:

-seqm0r0TaP8MhOKwMKNyaXeBxu38lPVhgo1PceOJxI.jpg

Custom hand-built OTL amp by a fellew Melbourne Head-fi enthusiast Retro-thermionic - "Sanctorum".

Some details:

A 6AS7/12AU7 two stage cathode follower headphone amp. Direct coupled stages with only one capacitor in the entire signal path. SS PS with 5H Hammond coke for excellent stereo separation. PS has C-L-C-R-C HT filtering and storage. Heavy snubbing of all electrolytic capacitors. Tube rolling is encourage but the Svetlana Wing C power tube will be very hard to beat. The driver, a Miniwatt can also be rolled. The pot is Alps Blue Velvet. The amp is fused and earthed.

Solid core Cat 5 twisted pair wiring is used throughout with WBT silver (%5) solder. Ceramic sockets and all carbon resistors with NP output capacitors (snubbed) help make an exceptionally solid sounding grounded amplifier. Easy musical flow and dead quiet in operation. Works OK with 32 or 250ohms headphones. The base is Cypress and oiled.

Feb 28, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #1,238 of 1,320
Beautiful Jensy. How does it sound?

Feb 28, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #1,240 of 1,320
For me the best NC headphone, from a sound quality perspective is the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7NC, though the noise-cancelling ability is nowhere near that of the QC35s, MDR1000Xs, and the PSC550s.

Ultimately the moment you introduce ANC, the sound quality is going to suffer, but the MSR7NC is the best I've heard to date,

// Alex
If it sounds good but has poor noise cancelling properties, it may be that the noise cancelling was not switched on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:ksc75smile:

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #1,242 of 1,320
By the way, crew, I finished a new video review last night if anyone's interested. I'm trying to get my views up so YouTube will take me seriously :wink: any views and/or shares would be hugely appreciated

A great review! If you want to get serious, it may pay to build a 'set' instead of using a photo gallery in the background.

Everything else is spot on!

// Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back