Aussie & NZ Head-Fiers Corner
Feb 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #331 of 1,320

Yep, ASIO, Wasapi or Kernel Streaming are all good - ASIO and Kernel Streaming are supposedly the least resource
intensive but all three sound better than DirectSound for PC.

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #332 of 1,320

Quote:
Today I installed Foobar using wine on my OSX Leopard and it worked perfectly well. The surprise though is that Foobar has a better sound quality (at least more soundstage and more clarity) than iTunes. Can anyone here tell me how this can happen? I mean I'm using the same DAC, same file, etc. and how could two players be different from each other.

It will. Not sure why you didn't go Boot Camp though. I once did WINE>Foobar>Snow Leopard for kicks. 10 minutes later, I went back to the usual players on OS X - Pure Music; Audirvana; Decibel; Fidelia. Now running Amarra; Audacious; DeaDBeeF; MPD/GMPC on both OS X & Linux.

Amarra Mini stands out for me on the Mac side...

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #333 of 1,320
Wow... everyones been raving out Amarra on Head-Fi recently... gonna have to give it a go sometime over the weekend... 

I usually stick with foobar for my music playing needs...

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #335 of 1,320

Quote:
I'm from the Tropic of Cancer, but in the 90's I sailed a Tornado Regatta in Sydney Harbour and have been called a seppo on many an occasion. Does that count? 

Close enough pigmode - welcome aboard me heartey!

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #336 of 1,320
^ Cool.

I'm using Amarra and in my system it's been indispensable. Amarra's sound is smoother and more balanced (less digital?), compared to the other players I've tried including iTunes, Fidelia Advanced, and Audirvana.

The improvement is both subtle and significant so ymmv. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #337 of 1,320

Quote:
^ Cool.

I'm using Amarra and in my system it's been indispensable. Amarra's sound is smoother and more balanced (less digital?), compared to the other players I've tried including iTunes, Fidelia Advanced, and Audirvana.

Great combo too - HD800 and RS1 - I enjoy a good lend of the HD800's in exchange for my PS1000's every now and then.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #338 of 1,320

Quote:
^ Cool.

smiley_thumb.gif
 This is my finding as well. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #339 of 1,320

Quote:
I'm from the Tropic of Cancer, but in the 90's I sailed a Tornado Regatta in Sydney Harbour and have been called a seppo on many an occasion. Does that count? 

I was just thinking about how I live in Japan just now and saw your avatar. I think I might have to point you to a pic of one of the latest bullet trains. That's an old model now, though you wouldn't think it riding in one. The new models corner as fast as that goes in a straight line.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #340 of 1,320

Quote:
Quote:

I was just thinking about how I live in Japan just now and saw your avatar. I think I might have to point you to a pic of one of the latest bullet trains. That's an old model now, though you wouldn't think it riding in one. The new models corner as fast as that goes in a straight line.

An enviable situation...

The train that came in before the one in the pic, looked like a fighter jet--really low and streamlined. When the avatar one rolled in I thought "Oh well...".

• Listened to a symphony with Audirvana Plus (trial) this morning, and thought it sounded great. Did a back-to-back with Amarra and it wasn't even close. For myself Amarra not only sounds better, but it sound different. Lots more separation and air, and there is also considerably more depth to the overall sound.

There's been some questions in the Amarra thread re: what it does exactly to sound so different, and its probably a valid inquiry.  

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #341 of 1,320
Hi guys, just noticed this thread and thought I'd introduce myself.

I currently live in Sydney but will be moving to Canborring, I mean Canberra, for work in 2 weeks.

My current setup is modest: ATH-AD900 /w w5000 pads, UE700 in RMA, Audio-GD Compass, and Aktimate Mini's. Sources are MacBook Pro/ipod nano (256k/AAC), and desktop (FLAC).

I'm hoping to upgrade some gear within the next 2 years with the following: Unique Melody Miracle, DACmini PX or maybe LA-300 if it ever comes out, PSB Imagine Mini's, and iphone 5 :p 

J

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #342 of 1,320
Sounds like a good set up. I've thought about the AD900s before but not too sure now. Due to funds I'm waiting to upgrade headphones.

Hi guys, just noticed this thread and thought I'd introduce myself.

I currently live in Sydney but will be moving to Canborring, I mean Canberra, for work in 2 weeks.

My current setup is modest: ATH-AD900 /w w5000 pads, UE700 in RMA, Audio-GD Compass, and Aktimate Mini's. Sources are MacBook Pro/ipod nano (256k/AAC), and desktop (FLAC).

So very true. Never been in a place like it. everywhere looks identical down there, but there are plenty of trees

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #343 of 1,320

This is HUGE news for Aussie Head-Fiers,

Guess who's coming to Melbourne town at the end of the month?

This is bigger than Ben-Hur for sub $600 source and amp spenders - Fiio is no longer the only 'big bang for your dollar' cat around, and this one offers more fur
 for the money :)

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/pages/Audiogd-1

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #344 of 1,320
Just found out that UniqueMelody no longer leases out demo units for prospective customers. I'm pretty bummed out by that. I was looking forward to hearing the UM Miracle, especially since they have an office right here in Melbourne.... So I ordered a JH16. Trolololol

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #345 of 1,320
DYING to see comparisons between Fiio's 'flagship' e17/9 vs audio-gd's entry level offers

Quote:

This is HUGE news for Aussie Head-Fiers,

Guess who's coming to Melbourne town at the end of the month?

This is bigger than Ben-Hur for sub $600 source and amp spenders - Fiio is no longer the only 'big bang for your dollar' cat around, and this one offers more fur
 for the money :)

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/pages/Audiogd-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back