Aussie & NZ Head-Fiers Corner
Jan 29, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #316 of 1,320

Quote:
 Just sick of this humidity! The temperature is one thing but the sweltering is another.

Back to 15-18deg later this week..ahhh much better.

Hmm 15-18... Been up to 42 here over the last few days. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #317 of 1,320

Quote:

Hmm 15-18... Been up to 42 here over the last few days. 

Yep I'm a heat wuss 
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's one though for power conditioning, recently chipped in on an upright Arlec air conditioner for the main
 room, now pretty sure my rig would be off the same circuit, with that noisy thing running there is no way
 I can use my rig, you can hear all this static and noise through my cans.

And this is even though the DAC and amp are isolated by a reasonable UPS with some sort of suppression.

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #320 of 1,320

Quote:
Couldn't find Headphonics while I was at Leedervile 
frown.gif

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=headphonics&client=safari&oe=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=au&hq=headphonics&hnear=0x2a32966cdb47733d:0x304f0b535df55d0,Perth,+WA&cid=0,0,8858199228754461985&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #322 of 1,320

Quote:
How's the "Live Music" scene down in the Aussie & NZ corner?
popcorn.gif

Well of course Melbourne would be far and away the best city for that 
wink_face.gif

Long standing joints like the 'Corner Hotel' in Richmond, plus a horde of other
 vintage pubs in the city and surrounding Brunswick, St Kilda, Fitzroy ensure there is
 always a heap of music to go out and see on any given night.

Cover charges are reasonable too - about $10 gets you into a heap of gigs.

Then there are the wax carrying DJ's who play some pretty cool venues.

'Rooftop' which would have to be one of Melbourne's tallest open sky bars
 has some talented wax jockeys occasionally and a really strange back alley
 bar called 'The Croft Institute'' - which is this eclectic mix of a Swedish lab downstairs
 with fresh grass growing on the bar but upstairs it looks like a run down
 1950's basketball court.

Cherry Bar in the heart of the city awhile back had a good reputation too.

The St Jerome's Laneway music fest is another good one - this time in
 Footscray, but it's going around the country.

http://melbourne.lanewayfestival.com.au/

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #323 of 1,320

Great to hear! Since seeing more members post on Head-Fi in the past few months from your corner, I've taken a keener interest in life that way. I love travelling, maybe one day I'll get out there. I've been excited to see more support for Woo Audio down there, without having to jump through 19 hoops! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #324 of 1,320

Quote:

Great to hear! Since seeing more members post on Head-Fi in the past few months from your corner, I've taken a keener interest in life that way. I love travelling, maybe one day I'll get out there. I've been excited to see more support for Woo Audio down there, without having to jump through 19 hoops! 
biggrin.gif

The Woo stuff has been popular - particularly the WA2 and WA5/WA5-LE - who would've thought that they would prove to be hotter items
 than the WA6, WA6-SE and WA22!

Another surprise is the optional tubes like the Sophia Princes 274B/300B, JAN Phillips, Sylvania 7236 etc - Aussies are loving it big time.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #325 of 1,320

Quote:
 The Woo stuff has been popular - particularly the WA2 and WA5/WA5-LE - who would've thought that they would prove to be hotter items
 than the WA6, WA6-SE and WA22!

Another surprise is the optional tubes like the Sophia Princes 274B/300B, JAN Phillips, Sylvania 7236 etc - Aussies are loving it big time.

beerchug.gif
   Outstanding! But, I am surprised as you are on the model popularity... who knew?!

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #326 of 1,320
Today I installed Foobar using wine on my OSX Leopard and it worked perfectly well. The surprise though is that Foobar has a better sound quality (at least more soundstage and more clarity) than iTunes. Can anyone here tell me how this can happen? I mean I'm using the same DAC, same file, etc. and how could two players be different from each other.

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #327 of 1,320

Quote:
Today I installed Foobar using wine on my OSX Leopard and it worked perfectly well. The surprise though is that Foobar has a better sound quality (at least more soundstage and more clarity) than iTunes. Can anyone here tell me how this can happen? I mean I'm using the same DAC, same file, etc. and how could two players be different from each other.

Resources and your latency real time response - if you look at other players like J-PLAY - there are options for 'hibernation' mode whereby all other
 applications are shut-down and the PC effectively 'hibernates', leaving only the music to play.

Mac should be the same ~ except you should look into getting a copy of Amarra, I believe Jude and a few others on here are using that
 as their premium Mac playback program.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #328 of 1,320

Quote:
 Resources and your latency real time response - if you look at other players like J-PLAY - there are options for 'hibernation' mode whereby all other
 applications are shut-down and the PC effectively 'hibernates', leaving only the music to play.

Mac should be the same ~ except you should look into getting a copy of Amarra, I believe Jude and a few others on here are using that
 as their premium Mac playback program.

Just tried Amarra and I liked the results. The difference is quite a margin! Might be worth it. Cheers!

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #329 of 1,320
Fidelia is also popular on a mac.  I personally use PureMusic.  There is a new intermediate version of Amara that is less than $200 but goes up to 24/192.  Not bad at all, especially when compared to the full feature full dollar version.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #330 of 1,320
If you have foobar, make sure you are using the wasapi plugin, and set your DAC as your output source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back