Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #3,121 of 3,454
Ordered mine today. 
Does anyone own Ortofon e-q8? Wondering how the Rockets sound in comparison.
Is its bass fast enough, soundstage wise, mids, highs...Thanks!

Auditioned it.
e-Q8 Vs rockets:
Better bass extension (and almost as tight as the rockets iirc), wider more open sounding stage, less precise imaging as a result, more "crunch" but less smooth miss, harsher lower treble, less cable noise, depth representation not as apparent as the rockets due to its overall spaciousness.

Another fantastic IEM tbh. And super comfy, not just for its size.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #3,122 of 3,454
Auditioned it.
e-Q8 Vs rockets:
Better bass extension (and almost as tight as the rockets iirc), wider more open sounding stage, less precise imaging as a result, more "crunch" but less smooth miss, harsher lower treble, less cable noise, depth representation not as apparent as the rockets due to its overall spaciousness.

Another fantastic IEM tbh. And super comfy, not just for its size.

Thank you. I hope that Rockets will give more body to the bass due to its dynamic driver - this is what I sometimes miss on e-q8, on some genres the sound is too "light". And having both single BA and single dynamic IEM would be a perfect match...

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #3,123 of 3,454
Got my Rockets today. Put spinfit tips on them.

It's time for burn-in now!
Any recommendations for how many hours?

BTW, they do have a low bass starting from 20Hz - just went through a special tets tracks. 

Oct 11, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #3,124 of 3,454
  Got my Rockets today. Put spinfit tips on them.

It's time for burn-in now!
Any recommendations for how many hours?

BTW, they do have a low bass starting from 20Hz - just went through a special tets tracks. 

Honestly.... I don't think they need burn in. I had my original Kickstarter set without mic for months (thousands of hours of burn in), When I got my set with mic I tested them side by side and heard no difference or at least no difference that I could hear.

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #3,125 of 3,454

Honestly.... I don't think they need burn in. I had my original Kickstarter set without mic for months (thousands of hours of burn in), When I got my set with mic I tested them side by side and heard no difference or at least no difference that I could hear.

Ok. Just thought that a dynamic driver should reach its working parametrs with the burning in )) 

Very interesting IEM btw, the bass is just great!
Will compare them with the e-q8 later.

Oct 11, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #3,126 of 3,454
  Ok. Just thought that a dynamic driver should reach its working parametrs with the burning in )) 

Very interesting IEM btw, the bass is just great!
Will compare them with the e-q8 later.

I usually think the same, which is why when I first got my initial set I did burn them in every night for 2 weeks (pink noise, frequency sweep, white noise, silence repeat). Then used them as normal continuing to burn them in. When I A/Bed the two and found nominal differences in sound at best, I decided it wasn't worth the time. Perhaps it is the fact that this is a microdriver, or perhaps during QC they were already properly burned in. Or perhaps, for me, the only burn in was psychological and not physical to the driver. All I know is that I didn't hear enough of a difference in sound to justify not using my mic'd set right away. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #3,127 of 3,454
Really love the sound. They remind me Focal Spirit Pro. Very neutral sound. 
Right from the Ortofon they seem like missing or lacking something but when you accept its signature and listen to them very attentively, you realize that everything on its place, all micro details are there.
I also think that they can not be driven properly by any smartphone. I've switched my rig to a High gain.

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #3,130 of 3,454
  Just replaced mine too. I'd got an issue with the stock jack, the left driver missed it's sound.

How do they sound directly from the A15/17? Does Sony have enough power to drive them? Thanks.
They are really power hungry. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #3,131 of 3,454
   How do they sound directly from the A15/17? Does Sony have enough power to drive them? Thanks.
They are really power hungry. 

Mine is Asia version, I set the volume at 16-17 out of 30 for Rockets. My MDR1A around 14-15.

I don't use any amp for this set-up. I have Ibasso dZero Mk II which I never use. I put portability and simplicity above all.

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #3,133 of 3,454
How does it sound with the balanced termination?

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #3,134 of 3,454
How does it sound with the balanced termination?

Well, in my case they sound differently from the unbalanced output . Now I listen to 2 x muses8920 while on the unbalanced is OPA1652 (Venturecraft Vantam DAC/Amp).

More mids forward, less bass quantity wise but a little bit better texture and more details I think, better channel separation since one dedicated amp per channel. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #3,135 of 3,454
Just figured I'd jump in the fray...

I've owned these for about 6-8 months now and love 'em. They are my go-to exercise IEMs. I agree with what most people say about them... nice and balanced.

The only things I don't like about them:

- the stock tips come off too easily and stick in my ears. The first time this happened I didn't realize one of the tips was still in my ear and I'm digging around on the ground looking for the bugger. An hour later I realized it was still in my ear.

- the stock tips aren't durable enough. I've had a few tear already. It seems they deform with heat (coming from the seal between them and my ears).

I've used other tips - HIFIMAN and some radioshack type tips and I didn't think they made the grade. Any other recommendations on tips that last and stay in place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back