Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #2,866 of 3,454
I've been on a Heaven V kick lately so I need to try them out again. I don't remember hearing like an 18dB drop from 1k to 4k, but who knows.

Impulse response looks nice and tidy though and bass seems to have minimal roll. Maybe that 6db thing that isn't a thing is coming in to play here?

How do the Heaven Vs compare with the Rockets? I almost got them but went with the Rockets instead because of build quality.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #2,867 of 3,454
I've been on a Heaven V kick lately so I need to try them out again. I don't remember hearing like an 18dB drop from 1k to 4k, but who knows.

Impulse response looks nice and tidy though and bass seems to have minimal roll. Maybe that 6db thing that isn't a thing is coming in to play here?

I think you should look at the Grey lines for raw measurements.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #2,868 of 3,454
I have the Heaven IV and love them never heard the V's, I also have the rockets. The Rockets are more neutral and the IV's are more musical and have better low end extension. I can listen to the IV's for longer periods of time, don't get me wrong the Rockets are great but the one down fall of them is comfort with the stock tips. I am actually using the tips from my IV's since they have a nice wide opening the fit still isn't perfect but bearable. Rockets are built to withstand a nuclear attack Ihave never seen anything this durable. I wonder how the IV's compare to the V's but I guess that's another thread.

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #2,869 of 3,454
Maybe that 6db thing that isn't a thing is coming in to play here?

Afaik that 6db thing that isn't a thing is about (full-sized) headphones vs. speakers.

From my subjective listening comparisons between IEMs and headphones, I can't help the feeling that the former need a few db more in bass to convey similar impact and authority.
Not necessarily 6db though.

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #2,871 of 3,454
How do the Heaven Vs compare with the Rockets? I almost got them but went with the Rockets instead because of build quality.

Different beasts iirc. Depends what you value. I'll have a listen to the rockets this weekend and maybe come back with a better answer. But if you're a fan of a slight 3k energy to your vocals, I haven't heard an IEM that does it better than the Heaven V, especially while still having more than ample low end response. And the wholistic nature of the sound is still pretty unmatched in my book, except maybe a modded FX850.

I think you should look at the Grey lines for raw measurements.

Why do you think so?

I have the Heaven IV and love them never heard the V's, I also have the rockets. The Rockets are more neutral and the IV's are more musical and have better low end extension. I can listen to the IV's for longer periods of time, don't get me wrong the Rockets are great but the one down fall of them is comfort with the stock tips. I am actually using the tips from my IV's since they have a nice wide opening the fit still isn't perfect but bearable. Rockets are built to withstand a nuclear attack Ihave never seen anything this durable. I wonder how the IV's compare to the V's but I guess that's another thread.

My gf had my rockets lol, but I should be getting my hands on my mic model any day now, at which point she will promptly switch with me =/

It's hard for me to say at the moment because I haven't heard them in a while. But my sentiments echo yours to an extent, iirc.

Afaik that 6db thing that isn't a thing is about (full-sized) headphones vs. speakers.

From my subjective listening comparisons between IEMs and headphones, I can't help the feeling that the former need a few db more in bass to convey similar impact and authority.
Not necessarily 6db though.

Mmm. Makes sense. Makes me wonder why Goldenears pulls it out of their IEM measurements them for their compensation.
They actually recent measured the Heaven II, IV and VI. They surprised me in how they weren't basically the same haha. Sorry off topic now.

I usually just add it back when I'm looking at their graphs.

^ yeah 6db is too much and doesn't sound neutral. About 3,5 db all below 100 hz works for me.

Yea 4 or so is where I'm good but it depends on the distribution of the curve and the relative nature of the remainder of the response.

When I mentioned it, I was referring to remembering many people who posted in the thread hearing reasonably significant rolloff on the low end, so I was wondering if the "phenomenon" had something to do with it, but James answered that part :xf_eek:

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #2,874 of 3,454
Anyone got a mic version? Do they sound any different?

I have both. If there any acoustic differences they are negligible. (Aka I can't hear them)

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #2,875 of 3,454
The Spinfits just came in and they are really supple, very comfortable with the Rockets. I'm not sure if I prefer the sound - initial impressions have me thinking the mids sound a bit recessed or distant - perhaps I'm not getting a proper seal. I'll give them a bit of time and report back for the heck of it.

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #2,876 of 3,454
  The Spinfits just came in and they are really supple, very comfortable with the Rockets. I'm not sure if I prefer the sound - initial impressions have me thinking the mids sound a bit recessed or distant - perhaps I'm not getting a proper seal. I'll give them a bit of time and report back for the heck of it.

Would like to hear more impressions, especially regarding treble extension which I regard as the rockets weakest link. The stock tips are starting to lose their stay in power for me so I need to find some replacements. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #2,877 of 3,454

Would like to hear more impressions, especially regarding treble extension which I regard as the rockets weakest link. The stock tips are starting to lose their stay in power for me so I need to find some replacements. 

I really can't agree with the treble statement, as the Rockets have one of (if not the) best treble I've heard. It's both smooth ad extended. Timbre is almost unmatched too.

I recommend trying the revered/trimmed foam tips if you're not getting treble. You could be one of many who has a less efficient eustachian tube, leading to increased pressure on your tympanic membrane. Treble has the highest frequency, and requires your eardrum to vibrate more quickly to perceive it. The increased pressure from silicone tips would cause your eardrum to be less "nimble"

That's why I don't use silicon tips on sealed iems.

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #2,879 of 3,454

Would like to hear more impressions, especially regarding treble extension which I regard as the rockets weakest link.

I really can't agree with the treble statement, as the Rockets have one of (if not the) best treble I've heard. It's both smooth ad extended. Timbre is almost unmatched too.

It's smooth and excellent quality, but arguably on the conservative side. Treble presence is actually quite similar to the RE600, a phone that has been getting a lot of flak for its conservative treble.

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #2,880 of 3,454
I just got a pair of these yesterday, I agree that the stock tips are just terrible, but my biggest gripe with them is that when you turn the plug ever so slightly while plugged into my phone (One Plus One) it disconnects. I plugged them into a Fiio X1 today and the same thing happened, has anyone else had this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back