Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #2,823 of 3,454
I've never heard of a cinch failing before.
confused.gif

They must have changed the design of them at some point, mine doesn't have that little black strip running across the middle of it like others I've seen.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #2,825 of 3,454

Mine does and it rolls off when sliding it up, not a big deal just a pain in the ass.

Maybe it's a good thing they left that out on mine then, was feeling slightly ripped off lol(not really). I also didn't get a carabiner clip with mine but I'd never use it anyway so whatever.

I do like that we basically got two cases, no one seems to mention that.

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #2,828 of 3,454
Copied from jelt's review:

The Rockets are really a hidden gem. They have a lush midrange that's not too forward, but still airy. There is that tight and textured bass that I love. I would ideally like to have a tad more bass, but they're certainly not bass-lite, and no one would label them bass monsters either. The soundstage is big, and the imaging is good. The clarity on the Rockets is also very good- but not as good as that of the IM04. Overall, they have a very smooth sound that was very enjoyable to listen to. One thing I thought it could improve on, though, was that I could sometimes hear the Rockets straining. It couldn't quite reach the effortless heights that IEMs one tier up (like the Westone W60) are able to get to.
Aurisonics Rockets Score: 9.2

The DN-2000 has a smooth, non-fatiguing sound that was very agreeable. This extends throughout its frequency range. It had bass that was a bit light and lacking in punch, but extremely fast and clean. The mids are of the airy variety, but spot on in terms of being neither forward nor recessed. Finally, on top, the treble is very polite. This was an IEM that wasn't very aggressive all around. It had a big soundstage, but smaller than that of the A83. Unfortunately, like the A83, this soundstage was achieved at the cost of a slight lack of focus, and the sound had the tendency to be a bit diffused.
DN-2000 Score: 9.1

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #2,830 of 3,454
  Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone experiences an issue with intermittent low level electrical static/crackling noise on the right side when plugged into an iDevice (both iPhone and iPad) or a Macbook on the mic version of the Rockets.

I just received the Kickstarter mic version.  I have not tried it for long on a "normal" headphone jack but for the brief time I tried I did not hear such sound.  Therefore I suspect it has to do with the extra wiring for the mic ...

Yes! I have the same issue (also using the mic version). I've spent the last week trying to figure out if it was the headphones or my iPhone jack which was causing the issue. Although mine cuts out/crackles on both sides at once; It's consistent, but I can't reproduce it at will. It also only occurs when using my iPhone (don't have an iPad to test it with), no issues coming out of my headphone-only computer jack. Glad I'm not going crazy.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

EDIT: My cinch also broke last week, same as the poster above. Will probably try and (carefully) super glue it back together this weekend.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2,831 of 3,454
I just got my Aurisonic Rocket Grey TiN with Mic and black cable. Looks sounds and works awesome. There doesn't seem to be any issue with my Nexus 5...

OK! So I've had some time with these guys. First off... I can't tell the difference between these and the original nonmic I got nearly a year ago in terms of sound. Clearly there is no burn in for these badboys. But that's probably a good thing. Now being that I got basically the first first run of the nonmic I can honestly say that Aurisonics have outdone themselves. These are absolutely better in every way (though there are some very minor drawbacks (I can actually only think of one, but more on that later))

First and foremost, the cable. I got the black cable as stated. On my first pair the cable was short. Now it wasn't unusable short, but it was noticeable. However, this is not a bad thing, at least not for me. My plan from the start was to have one for the gym and one for everyday usage. Naturally the nonmic, which would be connected to my Clip Zip for the gym wouldn't need a mic. And having a shorter cable for that is actually a benefit. However, that is a unique case, and on the whole the longer cable is appreciated. (By my estimate it's 1.25m while the original was closer to 1.15). The more noticeable thing is the placement of the split. It is further down on the mic. But that was probably a necessity. Again, this is actually beneficial for me. The shorter split distance means I barely, if at all need to use the cinch. Which apparently wears out (since I wear nonmic over the ear style). In other news, it is still microphonic, but not terrible, especially if worn over ear.

Connector. They changed it. Probably due to complaints I think. The step is longer. This could either be great, or bad. For me I see it as a nuisance, due to it creating a situation where it would be easier to break off in my device. However, again, the original one I got which will more likely be in that situation is perfect. For just everyday listening, through a phone, especially if you have a large case, the longer barrel step would probably be a godsend (provided it fit in through the case)

The next change is in the case. So, I'm guessing it is still made in America (I can't tell the original one had a Made in America tag, the new one doesn't), and it is still very much leather. Which I love. The leather for the loop strap if you DID want to ad a carabiner (which the new one doesn't come with) is flimsy compared to the much beefier old one. The leather on the whole feels... less... quality. I mean, I guess I get it... using higher quality leather is probably expensive. This isn't bad though... because as a benefit they added a LINER. This was my biggest gripe about the old case. It had no liner, so leather bits ended up on the tips all the time, and I had to wipe them down before inserting into my ear. It was annoying, so I can take the whole lower grade leather thing for a more polished bag. And considering that I never used the carabiner, I find that fine as well. 

Last thing is the mic... The placement is inconvenient for the button, but very convenient for clarity (worn down). For me, it lands right under my chin. Now that is great if you want to use it down, but if you want to wear these over ear style, the placement for voice still strikes me as a good distance from the mouth, but will be extremely annoying for the button (over ear it lands behind my jaw). But that is a slight inconvenience at best. The real trick is the quality. And man, when Aurisonics said it was quality, they weren't kidding, and if this is also waterproof like they claim, then darn, they have made the best IEM with mic I have ever used. And when I worked in AC Gears, I tested out so many and there was always something up, or the quality of the mic. To put this in perspective, I did a test that compared my M-100 boom mic, which is supposed to be a superior mic and better positioned to the Rockets. And quite frankly, the only thing the M100 Boom Mic beat it on was loudness. Clarity is probably about equal if not a bit better on the rockets. When I tested on a skype call I had several people claim my voice sounded better on the rockets than the M100. Now... they did note that it was quieter and had more background noise, but they said the clarity was there. The one caveat I have with the mic, is that the button feels a bit stiff. But that is probably due to making it waterproof, so I'll give it a pass...

Overall... I think we have a winner for daily driver IEM. This is basically bombproof, has a good mic, and sound great. I think I'm done. I still somewhat want to change my ASG-2 to ASG-1Plus but I'm happy for now. (naturally this has no impact on my over ear mission, but it has at least put me in a position to give my IEM journey a stay). Also, yes, these were TOTALLY worth the 1 year wait. (In other news, I'm shocked it has been a year)

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #2,832 of 3,454

Yes! I have the same issue (also using the mic version). I've spent the last week trying to figure out if it was the headphones or my iPhone jack which was causing the issue. Although mine cuts out/crackles on both sides at once; It's consistent, but I can't reproduce it at will. It also only occurs when using my iPhone (don't have an iPad to test it with), no issues coming out of my headphone-only computer jack. Glad I'm not going crazy.

EDIT: My cinch also broke last week, same as the poster above. Will probably try and (carefully) super glue it back together this weekend.

Yeah, I was using it with my work computer (Win7) straight for a while and I was getting the crackle in the right earphone as well... Never could reproduce it as well, but it would always come just as I forgot about it.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #2,833 of 3,454

Thanks for confirming that I am not the only one experiencing this issue. I have posted on Kickstarter and also emailed  rockets@aurisonics.com which Dales suggested another supporter to do on Saturday.  So far no response.  I'll give them a few days before I contact again.

Today I also discover a different issue that I did not notice earlier ...  a short click on the mic button is supposed to pause and resume the audio or video player on the iPad.  My other earphone can do this reliably but the Rockets often turn it into what the iPad interprets as a long press and therefore Siri is brought up instead.

Something is definitely not working properly with the mic assembly on my Rockets.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #2,834 of 3,454

Thanks for confirming that I am not the only one experiencing this issue. I have posted on Kickstarter and also emailed  rockets@aurisonics.com which Dales suggested another supporter to do on Saturday.  So far no response.  I'll give them a few days before I contact again.

Today I also discover a different issue that I did not notice earlier ...  a short click on the mic button is supposed to pause and resume the audio or video player on the iPad.  My other earphone can do this reliably but the Rockets often turn it into what the iPad interprets as a long press and therefore Siri is brought up instead.

Something is definitely not working properly with the mic assembly on my Rockets.

Sounds like we have doppelganger Rockets! I have exactly the same issue with Siri, was hoping it would go away with button wear-in but it unfortunately hasn't.

I'd post on the Kickstarter page, but since I wasn't a backer I don't have access. Let me know how the e-mail correspondence goes, I'll probably shoot them an e-mail too over the coming days now that I know its not just an issue with my setup.

Cheers

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #2,835 of 3,454
Curious if the mics with issues are TiN coated? Could be the coating is causing tolerance issues and turning short clicks into long clicks. No coating might be the best way to go on mic models. Hope you guys get it resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back