Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #2,461 of 3,454

So the question is what IEM doesn't require EQ based on my impressions? haha. There must be someone out there that has heard something similar to the kc06 and altone with more mid range or more even treble...

I have a feeling people are going to point out the akg 3003 behemoth. Or perhaps the shure 846 if it worked for my ears, but both of those are crazy expensive compared to a $200 earphone. :)

FLC8 perhaps???

Might have enough on board options itself to tune w/o touching the EQ 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #2,462 of 3,454
It is very strange indeed. And you would think we were all deaf or stupid, but we seem to all agree on certain things like the sound of the ER4S for instance. Not only do we agree on the sound, but the exact differences in lacking bass, filter response, etc. So we know we have a point of reference, and yet some earphones leave drastically different impressions on us.

To be as clear as possible though, I'm not saying the altone is perfect. It is V-shaped, like the kc06. I find the kc06 is almost less V-shaped, but more uneven in the minute areas of response. The altone is extremely smooth in response to my ears but a stronger V-shape. I wouldn't listen to ANY of these earphone without EQ though. haha. They all are too far from that ideal neutral balance. I might listen to the kc06 more without eq than some, but really the only thing I've found un-EQ-able would be the er4s with red filters on a good day or perhaps the UERM, but even that begged me for a bit of correction. :p

But what the altone is great at is that is is so smooth in response the corrective EQ is very simple. I'm still experimenting and my eq point is moving around a bit, but overall it is still one mid range point up roughly 5db with a wide Q width. What i get more than the kc06 is crystal clear depth. But the kc06 has a bit more body in the thickness of its sound.

So the question is what IEM doesn't require EQ based on my impressions? haha. There must be someone out there that has heard something similar to the kc06 and altone with more mid range or more even treble...

I have a feeling people are going to point out the akg 3003 behemoth. Or perhaps the shure 846 if it worked for my ears, but both of those are crazy expensive compared to a $200 earphone. :)

I'd still take the Rockets over the 846, although the bass of the 846 is very nicely extended and clean. It's the Rockets mids that not many iems can touch imo.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2,463 of 3,454

It is very strange indeed. And you would think we were all deaf or stupid, but we seem to all agree on certain things like the sound of the ER4S for instance. Not only do we agree on the sound, but the exact differences in lacking bass, filter response, etc. So we know we have a point of reference, and yet some earphones leave drastically different impressions on us.

To be as clear as possible though, I'm not saying the altone is perfect. It is V-shaped, like the kc06. I find the kc06 is almost less V-shaped, but more uneven in the minute areas of response. The altone is extremely smooth in response to my ears but a stronger V-shape. I wouldn't listen to ANY of these earphone without EQ though. haha. They all are too far from that ideal neutral balance. I might listen to the kc06 more without eq than some, but really the only thing I've found un-EQ-able would be the er4s with red filters on a good day or perhaps the UERM, but even that begged me for a bit of correction. :p

But what the altone is great at is that is is so smooth in response the corrective EQ is very simple. I'm still experimenting and my eq point is moving around a bit, but overall it is still one mid range point up roughly 5db with a wide Q width. What i get more than the kc06 is crystal clear depth. But the kc06 has a bit more body in the thickness of its sound.

I have a feeling people are going to point out the akg 3003 behemoth. Or perhaps the shure 846 if it worked for my ears, but both of those are crazy expensive compared to a $200 earphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd still take the Rockets over the 846, although the bass of the 846 is very nicely extended and clean. It's the Rockets mids that not many iems can touch imo.

That's interesting, because I'd take the pfe112, kc06, er4s and altone over the rockets. :) hehe.  So where would that put the 846 for me? haha

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #2,464 of 3,454

FLC8 perhaps???

Might have enough on board options itself to tune w/o touching the EQ 
smily_headphones1.gif

Very interesting. Is it gimmicky or truly customizable sound shaping? Where would one try or buy this officially without going through a market type seller on amazon?

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #2,466 of 3,454
Jan 1, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #2,468 of 3,454
I noticed something drastic that might account for the altone being very peaky to some. I connected it to all my devices and it varied greatly with output impedance. Ironically, with a lower impedance there is more of a treble peak. Yuck. With the higher impedance (32ohms+) they become bassier overall, noticeably, but smoother and not peaky. So when you add my mid eq like I posted they are very nice

I would recommend adding serial resistance with the altone 200 greatly, but again, they become bassier, but if you're using eq anyway, they are such a simple, one point eq, the resistance smooths out the response a lot. Some might even enjoy the bass, but I prefer much less. They sound a lot like the mh1 with 32 ohms...

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #2,470 of 3,454

Any graphs of these anywhere with some general idea of the signature?

From what I hear there are 36 different possible tunings with that system.... So... good luck finding that.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #2,471 of 3,454
How are the Vsonic  GR07 tips with these? I was thinking of using those (the green ones, specifically) since the stock tips have started to mold to the point where it's difficult to keep them in unless they are perfectly aligned.

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #2,472 of 3,454
How are the Vsonic  GR07 tips with these? I was thinking of using those (the green ones, specifically) since the stock tips have started to mold to the point where it's difficult to keep them in unless they are perfectly aligned.

Green? Are those the fake sony hybrids? I suspect it might hurt the upper treble response. I can see if I can scrounge up a real set of sony hybrids and try it out...

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #2,473 of 3,454
Green? Are those the fake sony hybrids? I suspect it might hurt the upper treble response. I can see if I can scrounge up a real set of sony hybrids and try it out...

Yeah! I'm trying them right now and I can't really notice any shortcomings - they do provide a much nicer seal than the stock tips.

That said, I'm new to analysing audio and comparing these sort of things.

Bass seems to be more audible, but not sure how treble has been affected.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #2,474 of 3,454
Just chiming in to say that I'm still very happy with my Rockets.  Yes, they are more microphonic than a lot of other offerings but the pros far out weight the cons for me.  I'm still anxiously awaiting the launch of the Auris project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back