Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #2,296 of 3,454
Thanks for the heads up, gonna go buy that album now =p

Tell us what you think! I haven't seen many others commenting on this sort of music for these headphones. I linked the Vimeo album above, but the quality isn't as good as the FLAC from cdbaby.

Edit - turn the volume up a bit, relax, close your eyes, and you can hear the separate instruments clearly, the vocals are amazing, the quality is astounding.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2,297 of 3,454
Yeap the flac fomr CDbaby is quite something :D A little bummed at the dynamic range compression though,

The Aurisonics work pretty well with this sorta music given how its a "warmer" er-4 with a less sterile soundstage. While it can get cluttered with the brass and strings and vocals when the wall of sound parts kick in its still possible to pick out the individual instruments.

After switching back and forth with the er4s I like the slightly more forward presentation of the Aurisonics as the er4's while nice and revealing, seem quite detached from the emotions behind the music.

Then I wnet for my T90's and everything changed haah =p

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #2,298 of 3,454
Will I have trouble wearing Rockets while wearing a beanie/watch cap?

It's a little hard to get an impression of what they sound like, aside from 'neutral'. I am looking for neutral IEMs with a high level of detail. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #2,299 of 3,454
If anyone who has heard both the Rockets and the Noble 4s, do you mind comparing the two? I've been looking for something with the clarity and neutrality of the N4, with a very slight boost in the bass and non-over the ear wear. The Rockets seem to fit the bill but a comparison would really help. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #2,300 of 3,454
Will I have trouble wearing Rockets while wearing a beanie/watch cap?

It's a little hard to get an impression of what they sound like, aside from 'neutral'. I am looking for neutral IEMs with a high level of detail. 

These are about as low-profile as it gets, so you should be fine.

They're just what you say you want - even more detailed than my IE800s, with a more realistic soundstage and fantastic imaging. Really impressive at any price, and at what they cost, amazing.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #2,301 of 3,454
If anyone who has heard both the Rockets and the Noble 4s, do you mind comparing the two? I've been looking for something with the clarity and neutrality of the N4, with a very slight boost in the bass and non-over the ear wear. The Rockets seem to fit the bill but a comparison would really help. 

I recently heard a Noble 4 universal and I had my Rockets on hand. First impressions of the N4 were that they were a different take on neutral. Compared to the Rockets, they were brighter with more treble energy (also possibly more fatiguing over long listening durations). I had some issues with the treble though - they sounded splashy with slow decay - which was strange after reading pretty good reviews of it. There is definitely more bass quantity on the N4 and the Rockets' bass might sound a little anemic in comparison but to my ears the Rockets' bass is pretty spot on in terms of both quality and quantity with a good fit. The Rockets are a slighty "darker" take on neutral, if you will. The mids on both are comparable, but i think the Rockets edge the N4 out a little with the vocal centric sig. I may be biased but i love how vocals and back up singers are "front and center". I'm guessing with a custom fit the Nobles should sound better than my impressions e.g. shouldn't have the treble issue. Because of the Rockets' darker neutral take there may be slightly less perceived clarity, and also, if you like more bass, the Rockets might not be a good enough choice. Lovely for vocals though - which is the meat of most of the stuff i listen to. Lastly, the Rockets are pretty microphonic when not worn over the ear. People have had issues with wearing over the ear too. You'd probably want to take that into consideration... Hope this helps!

Nov 30, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #2,302 of 3,454

I had the N4 which I bought from Flysweep as a compliment to my AS2.   Actually, I didn't hear the bass, LOL!!   To me the N4 is one of those delicate, clairity IEM's for music without much bass.   I sold my N4 after 1hr listening.  The Rockets, which I heard also( and returned because the cable wouldn't stay connected to my Fiio player and the cable was a grounding rod for any noise made in the neighborhood) was definately not a N4 with more bass.   Its a deeper,fuller  sound and IMHO gounded in the Aurisonic 3D house sound with much more bass than the N4.   My suggestion would be to go up the Noble ladder for more bass and from what I've seen on the Noble site they have that available in other models.

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #2,303 of 3,454
I had the N4 which I bought from Flysweep as a compliment to my AS2.   Actually, I didn't hear the bass, LOL!!   To me the N4 is one of those delicate, clairity IEM's for music without much bass.   I sold my N4 after 1hr listening.  The Rockets, which I heard also( and returned because the cable wouldn't stay connected to my Fiio player and the cable was a grounding rod for any noise made in the neighborhood) was definately not a N4 with more bass.   Its a deeper,fuller  sound and IMHO gounded in the Aurisonic 3D house sound with much more bass than the N4.   My suggestion would be to go up the Noble ladder for more bass and from what I've seen on the Noble site they have that available in other models.

This is closer to how I remember hearing the N4. Also I got a pretty blatant treble spike iirc, but it was the universal N4, so my fit could have been off. Jm2c.

Nov 30, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #2,304 of 3,454
how are these compared to the Hifiman RE-272/600 ?

thanx for the info

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #2,307 of 3,454
  How is the microphonics on the Rocket? From some of the review I have read, it seems quite bad, while other said it was negligible. Would be pretty important since I intend to use this as my running headphones.

From what I've gathered, microphonics are quite bad but can be subdued by using the over-the-ear wearing style.

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #2,309 of 3,454

From what I've gathered, microphonics are quite bad but can be subdued by using the over-the-ear wearing style.

Yeap i do the over-ear style and its totally ok :D

Yeah, that's how I normally wear my iem, too. Still, I do run quite a bit, so I would prefer something a bit quieter.

All that said, I will probably still pull the trigger on this one
biggrin.gif
. Even if I can't use it running, it seems it would still make a great everyday headphones.
L3000.gif

Thank you both.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #2,310 of 3,454
Yeah, that's how I normally wear my iem, too. Still, I do run quite a bit, so I would prefer something a bit quieter.

All that said, I will probably still pull the trigger on this one :D . Even if I can't use it running, it seems it would still make a great everyday headphones. :L3000:

Thank you both.

I run with mine no problem. Over the ear is required though. The antiloops can help a lot to secure the barrel in the ear, but my black antiloops aren't as comfortable as my now traded white antiloops. I probably have to shave a little of the end of the antiloops off so it doesn't dig onto my ear quite so much. I could hardly feel the white ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back