Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #406 of 3,454
  I've got one of these to hold me over
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iSoniTalk-Microphone-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B000V8RCTS

Yeah, it's not great (as the reviews mention) but on the handful of occasions I need to have a mic it will get me by until Aurisonics can get a more elegant solution

Had one, was too clunky :p  Never used it :p 

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #407 of 3,454

Had one, was too clunky :p  Never used it :p 

yup, mine's been sitting in a drawer for 4 or so years...if not longer :)

*EDIT -- I guess I should have said a little better in my first post.  I am not sure I would go buy one, it's not a very good product, but in the very occasional instances where I need it, it will do for now.  

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #408 of 3,454
  yup, mine's been sitting in a drawer for 4 or so years...if not longer :)

*EDIT -- I guess I should have said a little better in my first post.  I am not sure I would go buy one, it's not a very good product, but in the very occasional instances where I need it, it will do for now.  

I gave mine to my brother...  Not sure what he did with it.  The product works...  But was released before BT became popular.  I'm sure Monster could actually release a smaller, BT-compatible version, that supports low-energy BT and it'd be killer. That way, it bypasses the cabling all together which is what was problematic in the first place. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #410 of 3,454
An opposing perspective to those who think built-in mic is essential: I like the idea of a separate bluetooth solution.  I have a pair of Westone Adventure Alpha ADV, and one of of the things I don't like is that the in-line mic controller adds enough mass on the cable that it bounces around when I'm running.  Like others, Iwant to be able to handle calls without taking out the headphones, so the bluetooth idea seems worth exploring.

Separately, I noticed the protrusion of cables from listeners in Kickstarter Update 3 video with Gavin Fish.  Does the final design stick out as much from the ears? Particularly on the guy next to Gavin, it seems like the stiffness of the cables make a fairly large arc out of the ears.  My concerns are both the look and whether it would be a snag hazard.

I understand what you're saying but I disagree about that for the ROCKETS. They are clearly marketing this as something to use every day and on the go / for an active lifestyle. Based on that a separate BT mic doesn't make sense to me.

First of off a well designed mic shouldn't be big and heavy so whatever earphone you're using got that wrong. Second I'm looking at this as my daily driver which means adaptability which not having a mic means it is less of. Lastly as something I want to use on the go the last thing I want to worry about is another device (I.e. Bluetooth mic) that I could and probably will lose.

To be honest I'm surprised this wasn't included in the original cable design. Maybe it was and it wasn't cost effective. I have no idea but to me it seems like an oversight.

All that said I'll be keeping an eye out for future versions.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #411 of 3,454
Meh, as much as I'd love to have a mic in the cable itself, I'd be fine with a straight-cable version for now, and the possibility of a mic version later. (But hopefully not too much later 
wink.gif
). 

Sooooooo.... Is it March yet?? 

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #412 of 3,454
  Meh, as much as I'd love to have a mic in the cable itself, I'd be fine with a straight-cable version for now, and the possibility of a mic version later. (But hopefully not too much later 
wink.gif
). 

Sooooooo.... Is it March yet?? 

I'm eagerly waiting February since I got the super early bird. I'm really looking forward to these for the size so I can keep them in my pocket and not worry about them. I'm really debating on getting a second set too...

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #413 of 3,454
I understand what you're saying but I disagree about that for the ROCKETS. They are clearly marketing this as something to use every day and on the go / for an active lifestyle. Based on that a separate BT mic doesn't make sense to me.

First of off a well designed mic shouldn't be big and heavy so whatever earphone you're using got that wrong. Second I'm looking at this as my daily driver which means adaptability which not having a mic means it is less of. Lastly as something I want to use on the go the last thing I want to worry about is another device (I.e. Bluetooth mic) that I could and probably will lose.

To be honest I'm surprised this wasn't included in the original cable design. Maybe it was and it wasn't cost effective. I have no idea but to me it seems like an oversight.

All that said I'll be keeping an eye out for future versions.

Its not as easy as just adding a mic since most people want controls and at the very least a button to answer calls. Since phones use different firmware, hardware, software, protocols, certifications etc and so many types of phones exist its not as simple as one would think from just the standpoint of electronics. Not to mention considering how it would effect durability of  the cable and lastly waterproofing. Oversight no, just a clear decision to wait until we can do this correctly. Having to wait 6 months + to get MFI certification on the completed product would hold up launching ROCKETS. If you need a mic use what you have for a while and then get ROCKETS when we have things worked out in the right way so as to not compromise the current design. Thank you for your input.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #415 of 3,454
  You should while the kickstarter pricing is there.

Don't tempt me man! You already did that once before with the ASG-2 upgrade program.... Which was totally the right choice... BUT STILL! (yeah... I'll probably end up pulling the trigger on two especially at the price I have it locked at... I am just trying to find justification, which at this point would only be 'gift for friend')

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #416 of 3,454
Dang, I'm really pretty tempted to get a pair of these for the kickstarter. Can income taxmas come early this year pleeease? XD

That's unfortunate about the smartphone mic but understandable. Though honestly I listen with my portable amp all the time and only connect my UE900s to my phone when I'm making a call. I'm sure most consumers would want the button(s) for their respective devices though.

Do these really isolate as well as they seem? Is there any kind of venting for the dynamic driver or is it completely sealed?

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #417 of 3,454
From the KS page:

In fact, having ROCKETS inserted properly is as good as having earplugs in - they block out up to 24dB of external noise so you can rock out to your favorite song at safe levels.

And

Having no external venting, ROCKETS have great isolation with low occlusion (stuffy head feeling)

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #418 of 3,454
  Dang, I'm really pretty tempted to get a pair of these for the kickstarter. Can income taxmas come early this year pleeease? XD

That's unfortunate about the smartphone mic but understandable. Though honestly I listen with my portable amp all the time and only connect my UE900s to my phone when I'm making a call. I'm sure most consumers would want the button(s) for their respective devices though.

Do these really isolate as well as they seem? Is there any kind of venting for the dynamic driver or is it completely sealed?

Ive found that an IEM that inserts deep will isolate well regardless of the pinhole venting that's typically used on IEMs :p 

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #419 of 3,454
Its not as easy as just adding a mic since most people want controls and at the very least a button to answer calls. Since phones use different firmware, hardware, software, protocols, certifications etc and so many types of phones exist its not as simple as one would think from just the standpoint of electronics. Not to mention considering how it would effect durability of  the cable and lastly waterproofing. Oversight no, just a clear decision to wait until we can do this correctly. Having to wait 6 months + to get MFI certification on the completed product would hold up launching ROCKETS. If you need a mic use what you have for a while and then get ROCKETS when we have things worked out in the right way so as to not compromise the current design. Thank you for your input.

I hope when the mic version releases, kickstarter backers gets a kickstarter price? XD

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #420 of 3,454
From the KS page:

In fact, having ROCKETS inserted properly is as good as having earplugs in - they block out up to 24dB of external noise so you can rock out to your favorite song at safe levels.

And

Having no external venting, ROCKETS have great isolation with low occlusion (stuffy head feeling)

Duuuuh, looks like I just need to read a bit more. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back