Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #2,566 of 3,454
i use one eq point mainly. 400hz -5.5db 0.4Q.

that unmasks the treble and low bass very nicely. this is actually using mh1 tips and fitting them normal to deep. sounds extremely balanced this way. i add one more narrow treble and bass point to get things perfect, but the difference is slight.

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #2,567 of 3,454
  DX50 = more bright, more airy soundstage, nice separation. I dont even recognize my Rockets anymore with it. I tested it in the shop and didnt play too much with it.
Sony = without EQ first time I bought it, it's plaaaaaain and boring, more to mid, my iPod touch 5 sounds better. I didn't even happy with the sound first time I have it. But 100+ hours past and the sound is getting better and I ended up happy with it. First I always use EQ or Clearaudio+ to make it sound better, now I dont use any of those. Either my ears being adjusted or the sound really getting better through time I dont know. The mid get more detail, the bass and treble are just right for me now, it sound "cleaner" than my iPod. Better you try it in the nearby shop first.

I do not find the rockets synergize well with DX50. DX50 HO with rockets sounded rather blend. Leaning towards brighter side of things and pretty mild bass. Of course the firmware you're using on the DX50 plays a part too. If coupled with an amp like say E11K with DX50, the rockets sounded much fuller with slightly more warmth and fuller bass.

However I do find the rockets pair pretty well with Cowon J3. Even with X5 they sound a little harsh on certain brighter tracks.

so, to your conclusion.. sony is better than dx50 for rockets?

ah, i can't wait to try myself..

what about dx90? i heard from some people it is a nice match for rockets..

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #2,568 of 3,454
Hi,
Anyone else experiencing a gradually getting loose 3.5mm jack? When observed closely I find a slight indentation near where the rubber sheathing begins.

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #2,569 of 3,454
Hi,
Anyone else experiencing a gradually getting loose 3.5mm jack? When observed closely I find a slight indentation near where the rubber sheathing begins.

I've not had this issue, but... 5 year warranty! Awesome. So if you think it is significant, just send em in, I'd imagine.

That 5-year warranty was an awesome and brilliant move by Aurisonics.

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #2,571 of 3,454
cQuote:
  If you want Aurisonic iems at discount, you need to purchase them from authorized dealers.  Here's a little secret, contact Springtree Media Group.  You may need to wait a week or two as there's a backlog with fulfillment.

Anyone else have experience with these guys? Not particularly comfortable giving my credit card information over the phone as they've asked and can't find any reviews for them online.

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #2,572 of 3,454
Anyone else have experience with these guys? Not particularly comfortable giving my credit card information over the phone as they've asked and can't find any reviews for them online.

Great sellers. I've purchased the ASG-1 from them 2 years ago and recently the 1 Plus. They're very quick to reply to inquiries as well

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #2,574 of 3,454
Man, just put these back in after listening to the ER4S for a couple weeks.

First impressions: damn these are warm! Not in a terrible way just more warm than I was used to with the ER4S. Then I realized I had pushed them in too deep. Pulled them out a bit for a more shallow fit and things are very nicely balanced. This is what I remember! Just very slightly warmer than the ER4S to my ears. I think it's mainly due to having less emphasis at 3k, and a little more lifted bass in general. Treble is right on.

This is with the Senn biflanges listening to the Inception soundtrack.

Edit: Damn I didn't realize just how much of a difference fit depth really makes. For me it's like going from sub-tenore level to absolute top tier. Very very apparent, especially on orchestral music.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #2,576 of 3,454
Man, just put these back in after listening to the ER4S for a couple weeks.

First impressions: damn these are warm! Not in a terrible way just more warm than I was used to with the ER4S. Then I realized I had pushed them in too deep. Pulled them out a bit for a more shallow fit and things are very nicely balanced. This is what I remember! Just very slightly warmer than the ER4S to my ears. I think it's mainly due to having less emphasis at 3k, and a little more lifted bass in general. Treble is right on.

This is with the Senn biflanges listening to the Inception soundtrack.

Edit: Damn I didn't realize just how much of a difference fit depth really makes. For me it's like going from sub-tenore level to absolute top tier. Very very apparent, especially on orchestral music.

I think this is the reason some hear it differently. I bet my overall ear canal is a bit shorter than yours. That would explain two things. One, why I can't get it shallow enough with a seal still to achieve what you hear in the treble. And two, why you get more peaks with other earphones that I don't, as you have more length to allow for greater reflections... Hmmm. Now I need to go play with more tips. :p

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #2,579 of 3,454
  I think this is the reason some hear it differently. I bet my overall ear canal is a bit shorter than yours. That would explain two things. One, why I can't get it shallow enough with a seal still to achieve what you hear in the treble. And two, why you get more peaks with other earphones that I don't, as you have more length to allow for greater reflections... Hmmm. Now I need to go play with more tips. :p

Here's for inspiration...
wink.gif

We think alike
smily_headphones1.gif

foam_cake_3.jpg

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #2,580 of 3,454
Just got these today. A few impressions:

The first thing that struck me was how great the sound stage and separation are for an IEM especially a tiny one. I think they even surpass my on ear headphones (Mikros 90 and Thinksound On1s).

Another impression is how well they combine smoothness, detail and note "weight". There seem to be a lot of tradeoffs there and these nail it. Smoothness is sometimes seen as a pejorative but in this case I don't think that is fair. Its more a lack of grain, an analogness rather than a loss of detail.

The treble is a little rolled of but its as bad as some people have complained about. I think part of it is just that they are so smooth that treble notes which you associated with a grating sound aren't quite as grating. 

They have excellent mid bass. Upright bass in jazz sounds great.

Sub bass is a weakness. These just don't seem to move enough air to give them quite enough umph down there for great hip hop or electronica bass. Edit: with a good seal the sub bass isnt actually that bad at all. 

One thing I think is important to get good sound is a shallow seal. I suspect that's why the tips are sticky - to allow them to stay in your ear shallowly. Its annoying at first, but of the tips I've tried I get the best sound from the stock ones, possibly for that reason. Double flanged tips sounded bad to me. 

I bought them in part because they are small but they may be a little too small. I worry that I can't put them in and take them out without messing around near or with the cable. Hopefully the connection won't wear out.

I'd be interested to see what Aurisonics could do using a slightly larger driver. Make these with a 8mm driver and they could be even better while retaining small size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back