Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,891 of 3,454
HiFlight, try some ortofon tips if you can

The Ortofon tips do not work for me, nor any biflanges which are too large to get into my ear canals. My best fit for tips are the large Sony hybrids. I used them during my time with the Rockets.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,892 of 3,454
So wierd, the absolute last thing I would say about the rockets is that imaging lacked depth and focus and that they sound 2D. Literally the last thing. And I would have to be under duress. And especially compared to the ER4, on both counts. Hmmmm... Do you listen at very low volumes?

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #1,893 of 3,454
So wierd, the absolute last thing I would say about the rockets is that imaging lacked depth and focus and that they sound 2D. Literally the last thing. And I would have to be under duress. And especially compared to the ER4, on both counts. Hmmmm... Do you listen at very low volumes?

I am guessing since he was using different ear tips than the ones that came with the Rockets, this might explains why he heard it like that.

I tried few different foam and silicon tips from other manufacturers and some made Rockets sound quite congested and hazy. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #1,895 of 3,454
Volume and tip opening size sounds like the culprit. Sound cues don't pop up until you crank the volume up enough and I've found the bore size does have some affect on the sound cues.

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #1,896 of 3,454
Just curious, how many people are using them without the tri tabs? the rockets kinda slouch for me if i dont use them, if you know what i mean. Although this hasnt had any noticeable effect on sound from what i can tell so far

just got my rockets today. tin grey with black cable. i might post pics and more detailed impressions later. But on the first listen, using an ak240 as a source, and comparing with my asg2.5:

- Aurisonic house sound vocals, smooth, lush and intimate
- bass, of course its much more polite, but its fast and detailed. Very high quality bass. (The quantity might take a while to to adjust after using the 2.5s for a while)
- Treble, non-fatiguing. Wont say much about this since anyone who read my 2.5 impressions on that thread knows im not a treblehead, as long as its not fatiguing im all good.
-sound stage and imaging are superb, might even top the 2.5

from what i remember, the clear cable is a little more smooth (had a look at the HK high end av show but promised myself not to try them. Not to mention i met Dale there too). the black cable is a little more rubbery.

the only downside is that the cables are quite microphonic, but otherwise its very well build and sturdy.

I wish i ordered more of these. too bad i couldn't get the 99$ super steal ones

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #1,897 of 3,454
Volume and tip opening size sounds like the culprit. Sound cues don't pop up until you crank the volume up enough and I've found the bore size does have some affect on the sound cues.

This. The issue is that unlike most IEMs, turning up the volume doesn't make a much louder overall sound. This is part of his complaint about dynamics, which is totally valid. It won't ramp up amplitude for a crescendo section like the UERM or Heaven V (and likely VI). It's more like the JH13FP or the 1p2 in that cues hit a lower maximum with volume and other cues that are far back just get louder for the most part without a commensurate increase in the dynamic sections of music. This is IMO the main take it or leave it part for people that can deal with lower bass presence. It's a big one for me. If you look at all my impressions in the last year, you'll see it mentioned as a main annoyance in most things I hear. And the fact that I can overlook it due to the other things the rockets do so well is my personal testament for their sound.

The timbre is also among the best I've heard, even while tonality might not be the most accurate and brightened up a bit due to the 6KHz bump.

I can usually reconcile what I hear and what others say they hear on this forum. And usually it is just personal preference. Which I totally get. I just don't understand this time I guess, but then again, I guess it doesn't really matter.

And if the GR07 is more linear, and I loved the GR07, I'll eat my hat. :p
Ok I'm done. :xf_eek:

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #1,898 of 3,454
This. The issue is that unlike most IEMs, turning up the volume doesn't make a much louder overall sound. This is part of his complaint about dynamics, which is totally valid. It won't ramp up amplitude for a crescendo section like the UERM or Heaven V (and likely VI). It's more like the JH13FP or the 1p2 in that cues hit a lower maximum with volume and other cues that are far back just get louder for the most part without a commensurate increase in the dynamic sections of music. This is IMO the main take it or leave it part for people that can deal with lower bass presence. It's a big one for me. If you look at all my impressions in the last year, you'll see it mentioned as a main annoyance in most things I hear. And the fact that I can overlook it due to the other things the rockets do so well is my personal testament for their sound.

The timbre is also among the best I've heard, even while tonality might not be the most accurate and brightened up a bit due to the 6KHz bump.

I can usually reconcile what I hear and what others say they hear on this forum. And usually it is just personal preference. Which I totally get. I just don't understand this time I guess, but then again, I guess it doesn't really matter.

And if the GR07 is more linear, and I loved the GR07, I'll eat my hat.
tongue.gif

Ok I'm done.
redface.gif

Let me expand on this: I remember talking to John Strehlau and he was giving me a basic rundown on sound and he mentioned that the ROCKETS used, 'the distance between your eardrum and the driver to sound nice.' Of course he didn't get into the nitty gritty scientific details of how it works but I know for a fact that the ROCKETS have a 'sweet spot' that requires some fiddling with the volume to find, I'd assume that it has something to do with the pressure buildup.

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #1,899 of 3,454
  Let me expand on this: I remember talking to John Strehlau and he was giving me a basic rundown on sound and he mentioned that the ROCKETS used, 'the distance between your eardrum and the driver to sound nice.' Of course he didn't get into the nitty gritty scientific details of how it works but I know for a fact that the ROCKETS have a 'sweet spot' that requires some fiddling with the volume to find, I'd assume that it has something to do with the pressure buildup.

Great, just like the 3d function of the old 3ds.

Hooray....

At least it is possible though. I hope I will enjoy the one I will audition in the tour.

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #1,901 of 3,454
  Great, just like the 3d function of the old 3ds.

Hooray....

At least it is possible though. I hope I will enjoy the one I will audition in the tour.

Well 'spot' might not be the best word. It's more like you need to have a minimum amount of sound pressure accumulated for the ROCKETS to sound as they should. It's not a hit or miss type of thing but you may kill your hearing if you crank the volume up too much hence my usage of the word "spot".

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #1,902 of 3,454
  Well 'spot' might not be the best word. It's more like you need to have a minimum amount of sound pressure accumulated for the ROCKETS to sound as they should. It's not a hit or miss type of thing but you may kill your hearing if you crank the volume up too much hence my usage of the word "spot".

Oh, thank you for clarifying.

Hah, then I think I'm alright then. Will post my impressions when I receive mine. I sure hope I get the same soundstage that everyone highly regards in the Aurisonic in-ear lineup.

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #1,903 of 3,454
I certainly see why rocket has won so much love, it is incredibly well tuned and it can easily win a battle against IE800 at ease. Sadly like IE800 I am having a fit issue. Tip rolling begins!

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #1,904 of 3,454
Received my Aurisonic Rockets a few days ago via a trade. It was a rather lopsided trade, but I didn't quite mind because I was rather intrigued to try out the Rockets after reading this thread.

The Aurisonic Rockets have a very unique sound signature, reminding me somewhat of a fusion between the smooth treble of the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore and the silkiness of the SE535 midrange + Ostry KC06 forwardness. Bass quantity is slightly on the weak side, even with a good seal, but reaches deep and has nice balance between sub and midbass.

Microphonics are apparent when worn cable down, but improve when over ear. It'll still be slightly bothersome with rigorous movement such as during running/jogging. Comfort is very good, once a good fit is achieved, which can take rather long to get right. My only gripe comes with the 'wing' part which is supposed to anchor to the inner ear. They do help in securing the drivers firmly such that the seal is never lost even with the most extreme of movements. However, it does cause some level of discomfort with long listening sessions where the pressing force becomes a bit of bother.

I'm not quite sure where this IEM fits in with what I have currently. I was originally going to use them as an exercise pair, but they have a sound signature that doesn't quite fit in for working out, and the microphonics and long term discomfort doesn't help much either. On the other hand, they have a sound signature that I very much dig (midcentricness) and compete extremely well against any other universals that I own.

Decisions, decisions.

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #1,905 of 3,454
I also just got a pair (same seller?) as I was curious given how many people said this was an upgrade from the er-4. While it does not have the same sparkly and dry detail, the mids and bass wieght make this an easier pair to listen to for long periods. The soundstage seems more natural to me compared to the sterile er-4.

The best tips so far have to be these http://www.my-ear.com.tw/spinfit-tips/

Goes quite deep in and very comfortable. Just got to push the tips on tight as the first time it popped off in my ear and I had to get a tweezer to pull the tips out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back