Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Feb 7, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #106 of 2,761
Well guys, just bit the bullet on the aurisonics asg-1 universal fit ( not the customs )

Will post impressions when i get them, eagerly waiting of course ; )

Big thanks to Dosley to point out a good deal on these, I don't kno if i can make the exact amount public but Springtree has these :
http://springtree.net/catalog/aurisonics-asg1-generic-fit-digital-hybrid-inear-monitor-p-8439.html
If you phone them or click on the email quote and inquiry about them, you can have yourself an even nicer price (like way nicer), don't kno how long the promo offer runs until

Thanks to Matt at Springtree for helping me out big time, super fast communication too, when they say they will reply within 10 mins or less, they are not lying

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #107 of 2,761

Quote:
I think I may order the universal fit as well. I've heard back from an authorized dealer with a price too good to pass up and the earlier comparison to the FXT90 with deeper, more controlled bass than the IE8 sounds compelling. 

Bear in mind that the main similarity is their forward sound signatures. The ASG-1 has more forward mids while the FXT90 has more boosted highs, although I would say that the FXT90 can have sibilance issues as a result.

Speaking of JVC FXT90, I just spoke with a rep and they are coming out with a duel dynamic model.  Would probably make a nice comparison to the JVC,  but more so against the DDMS.

Sigh... On one hand, I'm excited. On the other, it sucks to get that itch to upgrade before something's already out and you've only had the previous model for a short time.

I was only relayed that it would have a low and high range dynamic driver.  When I asked him if he heard about the FS Atrio, he replied that he owns a pair and thinks highly of them.  I then asked what he thinks about his Atrios and the ASG-1 and he said that the Atrio still has the upper hand to low, sub-bass only.  Everything else is better on the ASG-1, and that it has a more flat sound signature, which is a good thing for my ears. 

True, if there was one thing I would change about the ASG-1, it would be a little more sub-bass. Can't comment on the Atrios, but my JVC FX500 certainly had a tad more. The ASG-1 still win out in terms of impact and definition though.

Quote:
waiting for me & my friend's impressions to reach Dale. sent out on 3rd feb (singapore time)

I hope you and your friend enjoy them when you get them!

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #108 of 2,761

Quote:
Speaking of JVC FXT90, I just spoke with a rep and they are coming out with a duel dynamic model.  Would probably make a nice comparison to the JVC,  but more so against the DDMS.

Hmmm? I think the FXT90 blows the DDM away in every aspect except quantity of bass (including sub bass). But the DDM is nowhere near the FXT90 in clarity and transparency. Both have that fantastic layered sound (I prefer it more in the JVC)...

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #112 of 2,761
For me, it can mean vocals that makes me me feel like the singer is singing directly at me.  Think of it as being in the first 5 rows of a concert or depending on the level, on stage with the singer.  Forward midrange is my preference over recessed which makes it sound like you're a lot further back from the singer and can sound a little empty and tiny.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #113 of 2,761
So I should have the ASG-1 and the Sony XBA-4 by early next week at the latest. This ought to be interesting. One of the head-fiers (I trust) talked the bass up on the XBA-4 so convincingly that I had to try it too.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #114 of 2,761
ahhh that is smth i can understand :) thanks alpha! then auri is what i would definitely wanna have coming from ie8. always felt the singing was quite far but still loved em. sold em to fund my AS-1b. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #115 of 2,761
Quick report: I tried opening the ambient ports on my AS-1b by a half-turn (the instructions recommend 1/4 turn at a time until you like the result). It was easier to hear what was going on around me, and even hear what people are saying (with the music shut off) when they spoke directly to me. I did notice a tad of lost bass extension, but I'll listen again before concluding that it's really happening that way. I just think it's partly due to the fact that when letting ambient sounds in, a lot of background noise is LF, so there is some masking. Anyway - I think it's a handy feature. It was only a short listening session, but I think I'll keep the ports open for now.

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #116 of 2,761

Quote:
So I should have the ASG-1 and the Sony XBA-4 by early next week at the latest. This ought to be interesting. One of the head-fiers (I trust) talked the bass up on the XBA-4 so convincingly that I had to try it too.

Insha'allah, you will write of your impressions. I will read them.

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #117 of 2,761

Quote:
Quick report: I tried opening the ambient ports on my AS-1b by a half-turn (the instructions recommend 1/4 turn at a time until you like the result). It was easier to hear what was going on around me, and even hear what people are saying (with the music shut off) when they spoke directly to me. I did notice a tad of lost bass extension, but I'll listen again before concluding that it's really happening that way. I just think it's partly due to the fact that when letting ambient sounds in, a lot of background noise is LF, so there is some masking. Anyway - I think it's a handy feature. It was only a short listening session, but I think I'll keep the ports open for now.

hey karl! did your music change in any way when u open em? 

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #118 of 2,761
Feb 8, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #119 of 2,761

Quote:

I think the loss of bass extension is to be expected. Sub-bass is more felt rather than heard which is why most bassy IEMs have bass ports in order to allow air in to be redirected into the ear canal. With the ambient ports open, the air has another avenue to escape other than through the canal. Nothing negative, just physics.

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #120 of 2,761
I had a thought (around here, that calls for uncorking the champagne) - what I wondered was - if a call to the Aurisonic retailer can glean you a nice discount on the AS-1 almost custom - would a similar call on the AS-1 return similar results - now there are reasons they wouldn't - one, is that they hae a number of the AS-1's in stock and would like to move them - two, there is a lot of work involved in the manufacture of a custom that isn't easily discounted without destroying the bottom line....

But to get a pair of AS-1's for a hair under $300 - now that might be a deal!

Edited to drop the B on the AS-1's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back