Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Jan 27, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #61 of 2,761
Hello Josh,

Quote:
Then to see the response from many high end engineers as many would say this is a "game changer"

OK then, I've got a question! Can a sound engineer use your CIEM for his job? According to what karlw says, they aren't neutral enough for that. Of course, neutrality isn't everyone's Graal, but for mixing ...

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #62 of 2,761

Quote:
Karlw, Do you think you could name some other bass-heavy IEMs you've tried? One person's idea of not enough/sufficient/too much bass could be completely different from that of another person, so it might be helpful to know where you're coming from.

Also, you said that you haven't tried messing with the ambient tuning port, but could you check how much of a difference it makes? I sometimes find IEMs to be a little fatiguing due to how closed-in they sound and the ambient tuning port sounds like it might be solution to that problem for me.

Actually, I don't really think these are bass-heavy, only that the bass is incredible and opening the port, for me, makes them bass heavy. Probably my favorite IEMs before these were my Sennheiser IE8 which I used for a couple of years until I, um, left them on an airplane (shame). I felt that they were a touch bass light, actually, but with the adjustable low-end, I was able to get them quite good. They did have a slightly hyped HF in my opinion. These (the AS1b) are quite neutral, with perhaps the very slightest richness in the mids. This is preferable, to me, than having a "scooped" sound that many hi-fi products tend to exhibit. The mids are where 80% of everything happens, and for critical listening, mids are really key. The articulation of these IEMs, the definition, the soundstage, etc. are remarkable. And the bass is very tight and clean, never woofy or mushy. Drive them with a good amp, and the bass is even better.

For me, the highs are just right - they are probably flat and thus sound detailed without zing. I never want for any additional detail - it is all there. But some may prefer a more tipped-up response because certainly a lot of products have that kind of response: an artificial level of detail that masks the actual lack of definition. Not with the AS1b. But let me say that I have sometimes been accused of liking speakers & headphones with a "rolled off top". I believe, however, that I like a flat top, but most products are hyped in the HF and people are used to that sound.

I'll have to give the ambient ports a try and report back.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #63 of 2,761
We have a quote from Lloyd Ellis, Monitor Engineer for Winter Jam (10 bands). The time has finally come for a product like this that is built solid, phonetically elite, and affordable in price...gonna take a lot for me to go anywhere else.

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #64 of 2,761
The ASG-1s I ordered have arrived. I have to say that the frosted clear finish looks a lot better in real life. I didn't think I was going to like their appearance based on the pictures I've seen but they've won me over. They seem solidly built and sturdy. The cable is very nice. Quite supple and as far as I can tell, very well braided and put together. As an aside, the cable seem like a good possible choice for people who want a more budget-conscious alternative cable for other customs. No comment on any aural properties of the cable, just a comment on build quality and usability.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #65 of 2,761
Quote:
We have a quote from Lloyd Ellis, Monitor Engineer for Winter Jam (10 bands). The time has finally come for a product like this that is built solid, phonetically elite, and affordable in price...gonna take a lot for me to go anywhere else.

I'm a little confused by your wording (or punctuation). I guess "The time has finally come for a product like this that is built solid, phonetically elite, and affordable in price...gonna take a lot for me to go anywhere else." is what Lloyd Ellis said? Does he use them for stage mixing or for the more exacting studio mixing (including post-production)? As far as I know, UE's IERM are still the only CIEMs advertised for that precise purpose.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #66 of 2,761

Quote:
The ASG-1s I ordered have arrived. I have to say that the frosted clear finish looks a lot better in real life. I didn't think I was going to like their appearance based on the pictures I've seen but they've won me over. They seem solidly built and sturdy. The cable is very nice. Quite supple and as far as I can tell, very well braided and put together. As an aside, the cable seem like a good possible choice for people who want a more budget-conscious alternative cable for other customs. No comment on any aural properties of the cable, just a comment on build quality and usability.

Okay, now what about the sound??? LOL

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #67 of 2,761
@ DTKZ: congratulations.  I am looking forward to your thoughts about the sound.

My impressions from the kit were received at Aurisonics two days ago and I am looking forward to getting them. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #70 of 2,761
I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow or the next couple of days, but here are my impressions thus far:

The ASG-1s remind me somewhat of the JVC FXT90 in that they both have a very forward sound with the ASG-1 actually being even more forward and transparent. It really forces you to pay attention, so I can imagine it being a little fatiguing to listen for long periods depending on your personal tolerance. However, unlike the FXT90, there is absolutely no trace of sibilance as far as I can tell. Bass is extremely weighty with a great amount of heft to it. Definitely enough impact to be considered a basshead's IEM and might be a little much for some. The bass is capable of texture and far from one-note with a very nice tautness to it. It can really thump. The bass on these actually puts me in mind of the bass on the Ultrasone Pro 900. Mids are clear and detailed. Vocals are smooth with great intelligibility. Highs are present and pleasant and unlikely to offend. It's there but doesn't force itself on you quite like the mids and bass. Soundstage seems oddly narrow at first, but it's probably about average for an IEM. The reason why it may initially seem narrow though is because the soundstage is quite tall.

Please bear in mind that these impressions may very well be a little influenced by "new toy syndrome", so do take my words with a pinch of salt.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #72 of 2,761
I went to one of the top audiologists in NYC, Andrew Resnick, for my impressions. My ears are a bit unique so he did two sets of impressions, one mouth open with a large bite block, one mouth closed. They should be at Aurisonics now as well.

Due to a post office problem, I didn't get the impression kit, but no worries as I think having pro impressions might be nice to get the best fit and sound.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #75 of 2,761
No issues with the shape whatsoever. I've been using them for hours at a stretch with no comfort issues. I don't have any customs yet, so I can't comment on how they would compare to one, but they have a nice snug fit. Far more ergonomic than the UE Superfi 5Pro and original Radius DDM I've tried before. No worries about them becoming dislodged or falling out through normal use. However, I do think my ears are pretty close to the average type that universal fit IEMs are designed for, so I would not be surprised to find that I'm in that 90%. I can see how it might be a tricky fit for some people.

Anyway, more pictures of the fit. I apologize for the blurriness but taking a pic of your own ear is tricky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back