Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Jan 20, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #34 of 2,761
That's the same $15 kit from earplug superstore I used.  Material quality is OK.  Just don't move your jaw too much as my impressions resulted in some slight crease tears. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #35 of 2,761

Quote:
That's the same $15 kit from earplug superstore I used.  Material quality is OK.  Just don't move your jaw too much as my impressions resulted in some slight crease tears. 

I usually use the earplug superstore kit, and the Aurisonics kit seems slightly different. The impression material is the same and the plunger seems very similar, but Aurisonics has much better instructions. They also give you a little flashlight thing with an attachment to check your ears. 

I do wish they would include (in all DIY kits) is a bite block. I have my own but it would be nice to get one in the kit. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #36 of 2,761
anyone knows where to buy an DIY impression kit in europe?

Thanks

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #37 of 2,761
I asked them about the sound signature. They told me me this: "Due to the size of the 15mm dynamic driver the sound signature would be described as bassy/warm. They take EQ extremely well. They are not harsh or overbearing either"

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #38 of 2,761
I just got back from the NAMM show where Dale delivered my AS1b set, made from impressions taken way back in June of last year. It was a long wait but definitely worth it. I would not call myself a super-expert in custom ear mold IEMs, but I do a lot of headphone listening (HD580 Jubilee, mostly) and I've had various earbuds, from cheap Apex units up to good, generic-fit Westones. Dale got me set up at the show to check the fit and see what I thought of the sound.

I would agree with the above comment - these have plenty of bass, even with the bass ports all the way closed. They have plenty of detail, too, but definitely do not have any zing. I'm not a huge fan of hyped HFs and these suit me really well. The detail and soundstaging is the best I've heard from *any* playback system to date. With just a hair of eq, taking out for me what I would call "just a tad extra mids" these things sound spectacular. Transients are amazing, and the bass really is something to behold.

So far, I've listened to Patricia Barber, some symphonic and string quartet literature, solo piano, Lady Gaga (Bloody Mary sounds INSANE), and some Green Day. One comment is that these don't sound their best when used with a stock iPhone output (duh) but really shine with a decent amp. At home I listened to them with a USBPre from Sound Devices.

I'm completely blown away with these and I have a feeling I'll not be looking around for anything else for a while. The company I work for, Lectrosonics, makes a wireless monitor system (the Quadra) so I was listening to the AS1b with our system. It's a great match so I will heartily recommend these IEMs for any customer who asks.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #39 of 2,761
can you pleaseee take us some pictures of your aurisonics iems? 

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #40 of 2,761
Hmmm? Maybe this will be my second custom, a dynamic. I will contact Dale, but I think I will prefer going to a professional audiologist again. I'm to nervous to do any "do-it-yourself" with my ears.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #42 of 2,761

Thanks for the impressions and the pic! I'm glad that they sound impressive to at least one person so far, and I am excited to get mine back.... Hopefully within a few weeks, but we'll see. 

Btw in case anyone wondered - there is a pair shown on the Aurisonics website which looks almost fake, like a photoshop job. Dale says this is his own pair, with some unique/expensive/time consuming work done on it. They won't be offering these for sale in the near future, but they sure do look pretty. 

imagejpeg

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #44 of 2,761
The sound signature described makes me think they would work really well with all my electronic music.  I have one question though, how do the highs sound because while I'm not a treble freak I do like a nice well round high with some sparkle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back