Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Feb 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #946 of 2,761
Man.. Just when I thought I was out again, you guys pull me back in... AGAIN!!!! 
eek.gif
 Why?  Why do I keep coming back??  
blink.gif
  These will be ordered tomorrow.. and that's it.. You hear me??  That's it.. no more IEM's...  Ok, I'm mostly talking to myself.. (I'm trying to convince myself..)  

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #947 of 2,761

Finished my little project. These things were hard as hell to photograph with my phone. I was thinking of maybe painting the other half of the phones white and putting a gloss over it, would look pretty cool, but we'll see. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #950 of 2,761
Those look really really cool. And I'm jealous. Thanks. 

Really enjoying some classic rock on these. The louder vocals and mid-range make it a lot easier on lots of songs to hear what they're saying and is a nice effect. I think I'm going to have to get aurisonics next headphones so I can get two different sound signatures for when it's a nice effect and one for when it's not needed, plus I think it's getting close for me to start jumping into the expensive world of customs 
evil_smiley.gif
. Though I'm starting to lean towards enjoying having it present in the majority of songs. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #951 of 2,761
Crap.  I'm A/B'ing the ASG-1 with the other phones I have handy, and they have such a different sound profile from everything else I have that now ALL my phones sound funky to me (including the ASG-1).

*cry*

My desk has become an audiophile war zone...

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #953 of 2,761

Quote:
Crap.  I'm A/B'ing the ASG-1 with the other phones I have handy, and they have such a different sound profile from everything else I have that now ALL my phones sound funky to me (including the ASG-1).

*cry*

I've had that happen in the past.  I've found that extensive A/Bing can lead to overload/fatigue (at least for me).  Take a break for a bit and refocus. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #954 of 2,761

Quote:
Man.. Just when I thought I was out again, you guys pull me back in... AGAIN!!!! 
eek.gif
 Why?  Why do I keep coming back??  
blink.gif
  These will be ordered tomorrow.. and that's it.. You hear me??  That's it.. no more IEM's...  Ok, I'm mostly talking to myself.. (I'm trying to convince myself..)  

Welcome JoeyRusso, buddy!! You will love these!! I kind of know your sound sig...
beerchug.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #955 of 2,761

Quote:

Finished my little project. These things were hard as hell to photograph with my phone. I was thinking of maybe painting the other half of the phones white and putting a gloss over it, would look pretty cool, but we'll see. 

Very nicely done!  Hmm... I wonder how the faceplate will take to automotive paints :p Candy apple green anyone??

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #956 of 2,761

Quote:

Those do look nice...  If replacement faceplates could be found and removing the ones on the ASGs doesn't void warranty, I wouldn't be opposed to trying this myself :p  I wonder how metalic silver paint with a dark purple and dark red paint for the logo would look on these :p

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #957 of 2,761
As requested, here's a comparison between the Future Sonics Atrios (mg7 variant) and the ASG-1.  The Atrios were reviewed with small stock FS double flanges while I kept switching between medium Sony hybrids, small Monster foam supertips and medium UE single flanges on the ASG-1 (I still haven't figured out my preferred tips on the ASG-1, but for the purposes of this review, the differences between these two IEM's are the same regardless of which of these three tips I have in play).  At the time of writing, the Atrios are well broken in and have over 100 hours on them while the ASG-1's have approximately 35 hours of play time.  Check my last.fm profile (in my sig) if you want to know what type of stuff I listen to.  Listening was performed off my Galaxy S II, unamped.  Lastly, I know this may come as a massive shock, but I didn't use any sort of equalizer on either IEM  *waves white flag*

The build quality between the phones is similar in terms of manufacturing but not when it comes to materials.  The cable on the Atrios consists of a single, thin black wire while the ASG-1 cable is a thicker, braided (silver?) cable which can be replaced.  The ASG-1 cable is clearly higher quality.  Both plugs are L-shaped, although I prefer the Atrio plug because it is smaller and can fit into my phone's headphone jack with the case on.  I have to remove the case to plug in the ASG-1's which, while not a deal breaker, is irritating.  While the Atrio cable is not user replaceable, it is properly strain relieved where it enters the IEM.  The current Atrios do not have any type of memory wire and can be worn over-ear and straight down while the ASG-1 must be worn over-ear.  The Atrio housings are often complained about, but I quite like them; they are a lightweight plastic which some find cheap, but I find their design and shape elegant and ergonomic when worn over-ear.  I'm not sure what plastic is used for the ASG-1 housings, but it's sturdy and not utterly dissimilar to ABS plastic.  You would be hard-pressed to damage them.  When using the double flanges on the Atrios (these are my preferred tips for these phones in terms of sound quality,) I find the Atrios more labor intensive to get in and out of my ears.  At first, I had a difficult time with getting the ASG-1 in my ears, but with a day or so of practice, I can now pop them in and out with ease.  With my current tip selections, the ASG-1 are more comfortable by far.  Unfortunately, it is difficult for me to evaluate the differences in isolation between these two phones are I have not gotten any good opportunities to test low frequency background noise (e.g. airplane noise) with the ASG-1.  However, I do find myself not hearing much of what's going on around me with the ASG-1, so I would guess they isolate at least as well as the Atrios.

Moving on to sound, one area in which the Atrios clearly win is bass, particularly sub-bass extension.  This comes as no surprise given the Atrios are well known bass monsters, although they, like the ASG-1, have an appropriate quantity of bass which does not overwhelm or dominate the sound signature.  While the Atrios are more technically proficient than the ASG-1 when it comes to low frequencies, the ASG-1 is certainly no slouch - it also accurately portrays bass lines and is possibly a touch faster than the Atrios below the 1 kHz mark.  If you're worried about the bass on the ASG-1 satisfying you, don't worry too much; I am a basshead and find the low end of the ASG-1 sufficient.

Comparing treble between the two is where things become more subjective.  The Atrio clearly has more treble sparkle, although some may find it a bit too much and I have noticed an occasional head-fi'er referring to them as sibilant.  I do not agree with this assessment and find the treble on the Atrio to be well-balanced and appropriately energetic relative to the mids and bass.  The treble of the ASG-1 is not quite as forward in the overall presentation and has less energy, which I find distasteful.  If I were to EQ these phones using a multi-band equalizer, I believe I would promptly grab the band for the highest frequency and boost that sucker right on up with the 2nd highest band getting a boost equal to roughly 1/3 of what I've give the highest band.  If I had to choose between the treble on the Atrio or the ASG-1, I would again tip my hat to the Atrios.

Now here's where things get challenging for me.  As I mentioned a few pages back in this thread, I have historically owned and listened to phones with a V-shaped signature.  The ASG-1's do NOT have a V-shape.  To my ear, the mids are the forward-most aspect of the ASG-1 presentation, and it does this quite well.  They are clear, well-balanced and lush.  While the Atrios are less V-shaped than other phones I own and use (e.g. TF10, DT990), they certainly are more reserved in their presentation of the mids, and this is the sound I am accustomed to.  As a result, the mid-foward presentation of the ASG-1 sounds a tad cluttered to me and I dislike the resulting lack of emphasis on the bass and treble.  However, when I A/B the ASG-1 and Atrios, the Atrios sound awfully thin in comparison.  So, in terms of overall presentation, I'm still reluctant to say I like the Atrio better just because they sound so anemic after I've had the ASG-1 in my ears for a few tracks, but if I have to choose, I'm again leaning towards the Atrio.  I would not be surprised if I don't feel this way in a week after listen to the ASG-1 more.

These phones differ greatly in terms of soundstage.  The Atrios have a tight, in-your-face soundstage while the ASG-1 are, as others have described, somewhat more 3-D.  I would say that soundstage is the #1 weakness of the Atrios, and the ASG-1 definitely presents a more realistic and enveloping soundstage.  That said, soundstage is lower on my list of priorities, so I don't find this quite as significant of a knock against the Atrios as most other head-fi'ers would.  There isn't much to say here that hasn't already been said or at least hypothesized earlier in this thread, but I am fairly confident that 4 out of 5 audiophiles would prefer the soundstage of the ASG-1 over that of the Atrio.

Overall, jury is out.  I'm struggling to decide which of the two phones I prefer, and I have every intention of doing so as I can only afford to keep one pair.  In my opinion, the Atrio wins when you look at the bass and treble, but the ASG-1 have superior build quality, mids, soundstage and comfort.  It comes down to what presentation I prefer: do I want to stay married to the V-shaped sound I've had a long term relationship with or do I want to throw fidelity to the wing and run off my younger, mid-forward phones?  I intend to decide within the next week or so, but at present, I will certainly conclude that the ASG-1 at the very least is able to hold its ground against the Atrios.  Time will tell if the ASG-1 are just a head-fi fling or if they redefine what one can expect from a ~$200 IEM, but I would be hesitant to bet against them.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #958 of 2,761
Very good review Bazirker, I just got the MG7 recently and the sub-bass is indeed plentiful And currently waiting on my ASG-1. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #959 of 2,761
Thanks for the review. I had the MG7s for awhile and have to say my sonic memory greatly deviates from what you are describing. While I know that sonic memory doesnt count for much, I am very surprised to hear you comparing the MG7 treble to the ASG1. I find the ASG's to have much better treble extension than the Atrios. Particularly when it comes to cymbals. Again, I will say I am going off of memory here, which I dont normally like to do, but your description of the atrio treble is so much different than I remember. While it was good, I dont think it has the clarity nor the quality of the Aurisonics. Also, as a complete package, again, I have to say the atrios dont quite measure up, especially in build quality. Yes the bass has slightly less quantity, but the quality, in my opinion is just as good as the atrios.

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #960 of 2,761
Nice impression Bazirker, especially with the Atrio. 

Alright, I had three "DAMN!" moments about an hour ago with my D2 and the ASG-1:

1) Creed - "One": The drums freakin rock on this track, and the short binaural piece was just sick.
2) Concrete Blonde - "Joey: Live": The small venue and all its glory is captured and portrayed very well.
3) Enigma - "Sadeness (Part 1)":  I had to EQ the 1.1khz range for the deep bass, but after that. Hot damn!

So, like anything, there are weaknesses.  Despite the ASG-1 is just plain sick listening to mainly rock and live concert music, where I find the ASG-1 generally not ideal is with forwarded female vocals, jazz, heavy orchestra and classical.  As I mentioned earlier, the brass and wind instruments sounds to shrill without proper amplification or further EQ.  I listen to my Livewires Trips for these genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back