Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Feb 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #436 of 2,761
GR07 has more width, but it's also 2-D as compared to the 3-D realism of the ASG-1... Width doesn't equal better spacing and separation of instruments. It doesn't equal more details in the music. It doesn't equal more clarity.

And I just received an inbox - for those seeking the ASG-1 at a discount price - that the retailer selling them is sold out. They will be getting a new shipment in next week. I don't think they will be selling them at the same fantastic introductory price as of a week or two ago, but my understanding is that the ASG-1 will still be discounted nicely from the MSRP..... Happy listening!! 

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #439 of 2,761
Quote:
My wallet say "f%$# you."

That's what my wallet says about this site.

Quote:

Thanks for the quickie review... looking forward to receiving my ASG-1 & AS-1b. I am getting more and more excited, especially with regard to the "immersive" presentation you're describing. Some folks might not like that but for performing musicians this kind of presentation is practically a Godsend. Will definitely include these two songs as reference tracks to see whether I have the same impressions as you.

I do think the unique sound presentation is tailored much more for musicians than "audiophile" listening as the ASG01 and a small handful of other universals were created mainly for this purpose.  I can relate to the "shouty" character as described by others, but I have yet to experience any sibilance.  If I had to match a loud speaker to the ASG-1 sound in its current state and setup, it would be the Klipschorns.

I'm interested in reading those with the AS-1b to see if the "shouty" character can be noticeably changed or not.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #440 of 2,761
Does anybody know what Aurisonics is referring to by called their IEMs "Digital Hybrid"?​

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #441 of 2,761

Quote:

I do think the unique sound presentation is tailored much more for musicians than "audiophile" listening as the ASG01 and a small handful of other universals were created mainly for this purpose.  I can relate to the "shouty" character as described by others, but I have yet to experience any sibilance.  If I had to match a loud speaker to the ASG-1 sound in its current state and setup, it would be the Klipschorns.

I'm interested in reading those with the AS-1b to see if the "shouty" character can be noticeably changed or not.

I emailed Peter a DHC, he said that his Symbiote cable should eliminate the "shouty" character described about the ASG-1, and the Symbiote cable will not change the sound quality of the earphones.  The Symbiote is high quality copper, and the ASG-1 cable is silver coated copper.  Peter said that this is typical of silver coated copper cable.  I just found a Symbiote cable that I purchased from another headfier.....so I will know before I would purchase the custion ASG-1.  I emailed Westone about their replacement Epic cable, but they would not tell me if it was copper, silver coated copper, or what!

Maybe that "shouty" character will be eliminated with more time!

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #442 of 2,761

Quote:
They will be receiving more next week.

Yep,  they will be getting more in next week I've been informed, but I can't vouch for the same introductory price that had last week. I've been told that there will some type of discount...

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #443 of 2,761
I played back one of my most forward female vocal tracks I have at the same volume level as before: "Suzanne" by Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions.  And to slight lesser degree: "It Can't Rain All the Time" by Jane Siberry.  I agree that her voice can sound "shouty".  On the Sansa Clip, I had to drop the volume a few clicks to calm it down, but I got better sounding results by softening it on the Cowon D2 via EQ at around the 4khz range. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #444 of 2,761

Quote:
I emailed Peter a DHC, he said that his Symbiote cable should eliminate the "shouty" character described about the ASG-1, and the Symbiote cable will not change the sound quality of the earphones.  The Symbiote is high quality copper, and the ASG-1 cable is silver coated copper.  Peter said that this is typical of silver coated copper cable.  I just found a Symbiote cable that I purchased from another headfier.....so I will know before I would purchase the custion ASG-1.  I emailed Westone about their replacement Epic cable, but they would not tell me if it was copper, silver coated copper, or what!

Maybe that "shouty" character will be eliminated with more time!

Thanks.  Good to hear and know.  Yes, the realms of cables are debatable, but ever since I've owned the TF10 with various cables of different degrees of silver/copper composition, I'm on the fence that a quality cable can make a difference to a certain extent.  It's funny that for the longest time, I've never EQ anything because of the whole going against the pure grain.  Now that I'm playing with it more, I can say with confidence that the ASG-1 responds to EQ very, very well.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #445 of 2,761

Quote:
Does anybody know what Aurisonics is referring to by called their IEMs "Digital Hybrid"?​

This is straight from the source upon asking the question to Dale (owner/designer).  He responded with:

"We coined the term for the use in IEMs due to the manufacturing process. The entire process utilizes digital scans of the ear, custom digital software, and then the shells are digitally manufactured.  That paired with the a dynamic driver/s, hand assembly and turning process is a "hybrid" of manufacturing methodologies.  The ASG-1 is manufactured in the same way as the sound chamber is pretty much impossible to mold with conventional manufacturing methods but is one of the keys to its sound signature which is not for everyone but seems to be catching on."

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #446 of 2,761
I have been actually researching these technologies, there are a hand full of "digital" solutions available to do this.  Basically a 3D impression scanner which then spits out a STL file into ear mold specific CAD software which then can be CNC machined or 3D printed.  There is a new startup here around Boston that has a product to eliminate the whole impressions step and create a 3D impression that can be sent right to the software or manufacture.

http://www.lantostechnologies.com/technology/

Some pretty cool stuff, IMHO.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #447 of 2,761

Quote:

Good point - the "shouty" thing is completely different from sibilance. I find sibilance more annoying than "shoutiness" (is that a word?). 

I'm working on comparing the AS-1b to the universal for that specific issue. Will update when I can. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #448 of 2,761

Thanks for explaining this!
I have the Future Sonics mg6pro, but the more I read this thread, the more I want to get the AS-1b. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
This is straight from the source upon asking the question to Dale (owner/designer).  He responded with:

"We coined the term for the use in IEMs due to the manufacturing process. The entire process utilizes digital scans of the ear, custom digital software, and then the shells are digitally manufactured.  That paired with the a dynamic driver/s, hand assembly and turning process is a "hybrid" of manufacturing methodologies.  The ASG-1 is manufactured in the same way as the sound chamber is pretty much impossible to mold with conventional manufacturing methods but is one of the keys to its sound signature which is not for everyone but seems to be catching on."

​

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #450 of 2,761
Quote:

Quote:
I have been actually researching these technologies, there are a hand full of "digital" solutions available to do this.  Basically a 3D impression scanner which then spits out a STL file into ear mold specific CAD software which then can be CNC machined or 3D printed.

Doesn't UE have a similar process? They mainly do the traditional process, but they also have the scan-to-CAD-to-SLA prototyping when a really fine resolution mold is needed, or when they use existing custom shells as the template. SLA printing limits the use of different colors for the shell, which is probably why Aurisonics doesn't offer multiple colors for their AS-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back