Aurisonics ASG-1: DIY Filters and Some Tweaks [will void warranty :P]
Apr 20, 2012 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

dogears

Headphoneus Supremus
My original post on my DIY filters here.

The very first time I saw that opening/hole nozzle, I felt there was something wrong with it...

and after some 20hrs of break-in, the shoutiness - though it has toned down already - is still there. I can already listen to Whitney Houston's I Have Nothing but in The Crow's OST - Jane Siberry's It Can't Rain All The Time - is a track that really bores my brain with that excruciating ringing or shoutiness.

Then I thought why not I make my own filter and got an idea from the DBAs. I accidentally removed the filters on my DBAs while tips rolling and noticed that the (dark) filters has some 4 holes on it when looked at against the light so...

Ladies? and gentlemen - the dogears filter:

I cut 4 squares of the 3M Micropore
ir
tape then put two layers on each nozzle.
I then punched 4 holes on it [edit: using a pin, it can get sticky so wipe it every after hole). Listened and punch 2 more and ended up with 7 as seen on the picture I took. It's 1AM over here when I started experimenting and it's already 3AM
biggrin.gif

The picture is already digitally enhanced (edit: the holes were enhanced in MSpaint) to emphasize/approximate the holes I ended up with. You can decide for yourself how big/many holes should you put on your filters - it's very "tunable"
wink.gif

With this, I can already safely listen to the Jane Siberry track and went through my test tracks. Whitney Houston sounds great again
biggrin.gif

The shoutiness is definitely gone BUT I am still wishing for more treble which I think is unaffected by this tweak. It doesn't stop me from enjoying the sound though.
Since this is very reversible, I am planning to remove it next week when I reach some 200 hours play time on the ASG1s and see if it still has improved/changed.
In the meantime, I'll enjoy it with the filters on
cool.gif

Got to hit the bed already
biggrin.gif

21April: And just to update that some people may already be happy with just one layer of Micropore tape
cool.gif
Try it for yourself.

tienbasse's recipe here

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 20
The 3K Aurisonics Walk

Yesterday I dropped my ASG-1 in our shuttle bus *facepalm*. Asked the guard to radio/report it to the bus company.
No report for the day so I considered it lost since these buses do pick-up other passengers of other companies.
Before boarding the shuttle bus after work yesterday, before finally giving up - I approached the despatcher and asked him if some missing earphones were reported. He radioed in the HQ and it was positive! Thanked him and told him I'll pick it up today.

So today, before going to the office I took the 3K Aurisonics Walk to pick up my ASG1s
biggrin.gif

Link to this map for those curious where dogears works
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
The 3K Aurisonics Walk

Yesterday I dropped my ASG-1 in our shuttle bus *facepalm*. Asked the guard to radio/report it to the bus company.
No report for the day so I considered it lost since these buses do pick-up other passengers of other companies.
Before boarding the shuttle bus after work yesterday, before finally giving up - I approached the despatcher and asked him if some missing earphones were reported. He radioed in the HQ and it was positive! Thanked him and told him I'll pick it up today.

So today, before going to the office I took the 3K Aurisonics Walk to pick up my ASG1s
biggrin.gif

Link to this map for those curious where dogears works
biggrin.gif

Sounds like a fun walk :p  Glad you got them back :) 

*Tinyman plans a trip to visit dogears* /creepy :p

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
^Thanks dude.

Here's a link to the bus company that serves as our shuttle
biggrin.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Transport_Inc.

LOL, no problem...  Now, listen to them like there is no tomorrow (while I take the next plane over-seas :p)

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 20
Update:
1. Bare (no filters at all) - shouty and sounds like an old radio!
2. 3M Transpore Tape, 1 layer - less radio-esque sound but still shouty.
3. Coffee filter, 1 layer - my fave/preferred sound so far but still trying to get a more aggressive sound without any hint of shoutyness. If I punch one tiny pinhole, it adds a hint of shoutyness.
4. 3M Micropore Tape, 1 layer - too warm for my taste but I think mids lovers who doesn't mind 'recessed' highs will love this sound. Wish I can compare this directly with the classic SE535 :D

Going to sleep for now, it's already 0130H, haha!

May 16, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #13 of 20
We're beyond filters now!
tongue.gif
and in the process voids my warranty
biggrin.gif

Tweak bug bit me so I opened it up
eek.gif

and when I put them back together, there's already sound leaking around the 'cover' - and I intend to leave it like that as it completely cured the shoutiness I didn't want.
My pair now sounds 'bass to low-mids(?) heavy', midrange is just the way I want and treble... its there just not flavored/accentuated in any way.
I can now listen to it without any filters!
cool.gif

Still tweaking and taming the bass
rolleyes.gif

May 16, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

eek.gif

and when I put them back together, there's already sound leaking around the 'cover' - and I intend to leave it like that as it completely cured the shoutiness I didn't want.
My pair now sounds 'bass to low-mids(?) heavy', midrange is just the way I want and treble... its there just not flavored/accentuated in any way.
cool.gif

rolleyes.gif

mother of...wow!
You brave soul.

May 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

eek.gif

cool.gif

rolleyes.gif

Your sacrifice will not be in vain...I hope...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back