Aurisonics ASG-1.3 Review (Updated: 14MAY2013)
May 14, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

The highs were always smooth...  I don't expect them to change into something sharp.  They weren't designed for that anyways (sharpness can lead to fatigue, Aurisonics avoids fatigue; they are musicians' monitors after all). 

Regarding how mid-forward things are...  I actually feel the UE 900s have a bit of a bass focus on them (they measure that way too, as measured by: Rin, Tyll, and even myself), a slight one, but its definitely there.  Which is why I don't see these mid-forward at all. 

I'm well aware, doesn't mean I can't wish for some sharpness when songs would benefit from it :wink:

I didn't listen to enough of the UE900s to make that call. 

Again, me seeing these as midforward might be cause of me having many V and U shaped headphones in the past. So they might only seem midforward to me. But when I listen to a lot of vocal music, including Jazz and some vocal driven parlor-esque music, I really hear how forward the mids are. Really when I listen to most other music I don't hear it as much. But with groups like the midiaeval baebes, it is pretty apparent (to me at least). But I may just not know what true midforward sounds like. I've heard neutral (which these are not) and mid-recessed (which these are definitely not). So by those two comparisons these are mid forward. If only just. 

May 17, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #17 of 66
May 21, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #18 of 66
I am considering buying both headphones and earphones. I currently have the monster turbines and atrios m5. I would like to buy either the klipsch image one, Bose oe2, v moda m80, Shure se215 or asg I mostly listen to pop dubstep and classical.what should I get?

May 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #19 of 66
Quote:
I am considering buying both headphones and earphones. I currently have the monster turbines and atrios m5. I would like to buy either the klipsch image one, Bose oe2, v moda m80, Shure se215 or asg I mostly listen to pop dubstep and classical.what should I get?

You just listed genres that the ASG-1.3 does very well with. Also, if you end up wanting something a bit more general purpose for all genre's, you can easily send in the ASG-1.3's to be upgraded to the ASG-2 in the future

May 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #20 of 66
I noti
You just listed genres that the ASG-1.4 does very well with. Also, if you end up wanting something a bit more general purpose for all genre's, you can easily send in the ASG-1.3's to be upgraded to the ASG-2 in the future

I noticed that the purchase price here is listed as 120 while the retail price is 299. Is there any way I can find one that cheap? Cos where I live, the asg 1 costs 349

May 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #21 of 66
Quote:

You can scratch the Bose off the list  ASG-1 may not suffice for classical as well as you'd like it to (there are better selections for that).  I personally would recommend the V-Moda M80 in the list for what you listen to, that or the Shure.

May 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #22 of 66
W
You can scratch the Bose off the list  ASG-1 may not suffice for classical as well as you'd like it to (there are better selections for that).  I personally would recommend the V-Moda M80 in the list for what you listen to, that or the Shure.

Wow... Big on the attack but I'll believe you. BIG price diff of the se215 and m80s where I live though. The shures are 199 while the m80s are 380

May 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #23 of 66
Quote:

Quote:
W
Wow... Big on the attack but I'll believe you. BIG price diff of the se215 and m80s where I live though. The shures are 199 while the m80s are 380

Tinyman392 is right. I didn't see that classical genre in your list before. ASG-2's are more suited for that if you go the Aurisonics route. I think their are other threads dedicated to finding the right IEMs and headphones though that get a lot more views than this one.

EDIT:
Recommendation: if you wanna ask questions about the ASG-1 or ASG-2, this is a good place, but otherwise you will get a larger pool of people with knowledge of the other candidates in other threads that are not as focused on a specific product

May 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #24 of 66
Quote:
You just listed genres that the ASG-1.4 does very well with. Also, if you end up wanting something a bit more general purpose for all genre's, you can easily send in the ASG-1.3's to be upgraded to the ASG-2 in the future

1.4s?! Did I miss something? Are they already working on 1.4? 1.3 is new. What is Dale smoking? :p (I'm just going to assume you meant 1.3)

Quote:

M80 and Shure would by my choices for those genres. But the thing is, the 1.3s are only lacking in the treble. The soundstage and imaging is perfect for classical. While I don't NEED to EQ up the treble for classical, it does benefit greatly from it. And some songs even work better without EQ, I'm getting an amp hopefully soon that will open up my ASG-1.3s more and that has a treble boost so I can add treble where needed, and turn it off just as easily, without fiddling with any GUI.

Quote:

Agreed here. I am not a huge fan of the Shure SE215. I think they are great but they don't sound as good to my ears for the range of things that I listen to. However for your specific genres they would be beneficial.

Granted... if you listen to a lot of leiders, ditch the Shures and get the ASG-1s. Vocals on these are addicting.

Quote:
W

Honestly, you shouldn't limit yourself. If you ask in IEM and Portables guidence threads there are people who can recommend headphones and earphones that match your criteria much better, and possibly at a lower price. Unless of course you are looking for removable cables, which narrows the search quite a bit.

May 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #25 of 66
I put money on it that the 1.4 is a typo...  He was probably trying to type 1.3 :p

May 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #26 of 66
May 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #27 of 66
Quote:
I put money on it that the 1.4 is a typo...  He was probably trying to type 1.3 :p

Quote:
Yeah I was joking.

Sorry guys, I was half asleep when I was typing. Dale is known to always tinker around with things but as far as I am aware, their is no plans for a 1.4 revision. If their was, you'd only find out from Aurisonics, not from a fan. Sorry about the excitement. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #29 of 66
A few quickies:

When did Dale start selling the 1.3?
Is there any marking on the iem that indicates the revision number?
Would owning these be complimentary to the GR07s or are they cut from the same cloth, so to speak?

I'm considering a trade for my Mad Dogs (even though these seem to be much cheaper than retail for a used set compared to the MDs).

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #30 of 66
Quote:
A few quickies:

When did Dale start selling the 1.3?
Is there any marking on the iem that indicates the revision number?
Would owning these be complimentary to the GR07s or are they cut from the same cloth, so to speak?

I'm considering a trade for my Mad Dogs (even though these seem to be much cheaper than retail for a used set compared to the MDs).

Pretty recently. Like within the past 2 or 3 months I think.

There is no specific marking, other than the updated company logo. The previous ASG-1 revisions had the previous Aurisonics logo.

I've never compared them directly to the GR07. Based on what I remember they're cut from the same cloth though. Great bass, solid and slightly forward midrange, and highs that are rolled off. Perhaps someone with more recent knowledge of the GR07 and the ASG-1 can chime in.

Personally if you have the GR07 I'm not sure that I'd give up the MadDogs for the ASG-1.3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back