Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
Dec 21, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #811 of 1,048
Hello,
Does anybody have an Abyss 1266 with the Nirvana? Would you kindly comment on how they go together? Is the Nirvana much different from HA-2SF?
Thanks.
I have not heard my 1266 TC sound better than on the Nirvana. A match made in headfi heaven. The driver tube selection makes a huge difference, but a good one makes the 1266 both non fatiguing and more musical than my solid state amps. Highly recommend the synergy of this pairing.

I swap other headphones around with other amps but the 1266 is permanently attached to the Nirvana.

Tony

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #813 of 1,048
I have not heard my 1266 TC sound better than on the Nirvana. A match made in headfi heaven. The driver tube selection makes a huge difference, but a good one makes the 1266 both non fatiguing and more musical than my solid state amps. Highly recommend the synergy of this pairing.

I swap other headphones around with other amps but the 1266 is permanently attached to the Nirvana.

Tony
Thanks Tony
I have tried so many headphones and the only one which does not get sold in the 1266. The available Nirvana IV is with no wood…it lost 1/2 of it visual value for me.

Dec 21, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #814 of 1,048
I ended up getting the older two-chassis wood version by connecting with my local Auris distributor-- they sold me one of their personal sets. If Auris doesn't go back to the wood version (or perhaps still make it available, as a custom order) I hope all who want can still find one of the older versions.

Dec 21, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #815 of 1,048
I ended up getting the older two-chassis wood version by connecting with my local Auris distributor-- they sold me one of their personal sets. If Auris doesn't go back to the wood version (or perhaps still make it available, as a custom order) I hope all who want can still find one of the older versions.
Nice!

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #816 of 1,048
Thanks Tony
I have tried so many headphones and the only one which does not get sold in the 1266. The available Nirvana IV is with no wood…it lost 1/2 of it visual value for me.
Traiguen,

I hear you, I’m in the same camp, the visual of the wood sets the earlier versions apart. And weird as it sounds, I “feel” the wood regularly it has a superb fine finish, and it makes me appreciate it even more. I was a wood scientist for a while so maybe that has an effect… it’s visual and tactile to me. But my wife sums it up “it’s art”.

T

Jan 3, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #817 of 1,048
First day of listening to my system for nearly 2 weeks. Ended up with covid over Christmas / New Year and my hearing was all over the place. Very sensitive to highs and headaches in general made it rather unpleasant so I just stayed away. Starting off with the Psvane Phillips replicas with the Mullard M8136. My have I missed this :L3000:

Jan 3, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #818 of 1,048
First day of listening to my system for nearly 2 weeks. Ended up with covid over Christmas / New Year and my hearing was all over the place. Very sensitive to highs and headaches in general made it rather unpleasant so I just stayed away. Starting off with the Psvane Phillips replicas with the Mullard M8136. My have I missed this :L3000:
I have a set of psvane EL34 that came in my PrimaLuna speaker amp, they are a very nice tube!

Jan 9, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #819 of 1,048
Sad day today... Nirvana is down, I repeat.... Nirvana is down :anguished:

I was listening to the amp as normal and the sound on the left side slowly faded away to nothing. Tubes all working (glowing) etc. Changed all tubes, input, source and checked headphones, which are working ok.

I've been in contact with the ever helpful Filip Tot and SCV Distribution and after a number of checks etc it's looking like a trip away. Hopefully it's a quick an easy fix... life without Nirvana is tough... it set a very high standard in sound quality making it very difficult for the substitute (Naim HE) to step back in as main amp rather than it's streaming, preamp role. On a positive, I get to experience the improvement all over again... once I get over the shock :o2smile:

Jan 9, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #820 of 1,048
Sad day today... Nirvana is down, I repeat.... Nirvana is down :anguished:

I was listening to the amp as normal and the sound on the left side slowly faded away to nothing. Tubes all working (glowing) etc. Changed all tubes, input, source and checked headphones, which are working ok.

I've been in contact with the ever helpful Filip Tot and SCV Distribution and after a number of checks etc it's looking like a trip away. Hopefully it's a quick an easy fix... life without Nirvana is tough... it set a very high standard in sound quality making it very difficult for the substitute (Naim HE) to step back in as main amp rather than it's streaming, preamp role. On a positive, I get to experience the improvement all over again... once I get over the shock :o2smile:

Oh no! 😱

Jan 9, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #821 of 1,048
Hoping that everything will be better soon...

Jan 9, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #823 of 1,048
Well, thankfully that's what warranty is for. Covering for those unforeseen problems! Hopefully it'll receive a full health check while it's in and won't be away too long!

It's funny how quickly you get used to a certain level of sound quality and for it to become the norm. It reminds me of sports suspension on a car. When you go from a softer ride it feels very firm with little to no roll but after a short time it feels normal and you start to notice roll again. Going back to standard suspension feels like your driving a boat that rolls from one side to the other and feels like you'll capsize going round corners :o2smile:

Jan 9, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #825 of 1,048
Well... so far I've been very, very pleased with the response of AudioClear (the consumer side of SCV Distribution). They've picked up the problem this morning and they've already arranged for a courier to pickup the amp tomorrow. Hopefully this a sign of how it will be handled overall. Fingers crossed!

I've had experience with another dealer and amp manufacturer recently when looking for a Tube amp and it wasn't very good at all. I was repeatedly told about how good the amp was while not keeping promises and then lying to cover up. During emails with the head guy of the amp, I said there is no point selling me a £5k amp while offering customer service below that of a £100 amp. If I'm to hand over £5k+, I need to feel confident that you'll be there to resolve problems when they occur. As sods law says they will occur. It wasn't enjoyable spell as I hate having to chase, complain etc... such a negative feeling and is not a great way way to start off. Which it didn't in the end.

Anyway, dealing with AudioClear/SCV Distribution has been beyond exemplary. When I bought the amp from them as an Ex Demo unit with warranty, I was a little concerned but fortunate enough to of had experience with them in the past when buying my Meze Elites (also amazing customer service). They were the distributor for the shop I bought them from. There was a very visible scratch on them and within 24hrs I had a replacement pair in my hands and they took away the old pair when dropping off the new ones... just so I wasn't without a pair of headphones.

Filip Tot, the Head of Research & Development at Auris has also been great... very responsive to questions I've had and providing great advice... not to mention being quick to respond when I asked about this recent problem.

All in all it has been a very good experience, even though it's as a result of a fault on the amp. Faults do occur, fact of life, it's how they're handled that matters. This is a great example of £5k+ level of customer service to match their amp! A big :beerchug: to the UK distributor. I just hope Auris realise how good a representative they have for UK sales!!! Hopefully @Miroslav EarMen can pass on my gratitude for the service and support from Auris & their distributors 👍🏻 I'm hoping I haven't jinxed things:o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back