Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
Dec 16, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #797 of 1,086
wow,great review toonartist!
for me,the psvane-ph is a real significant step above the stock jj and eh tubes,and a really great effort for a modern day tube.
they are also much better than most nos tubes out there.the cost/performance on these tubes are off the charts.
I think they are good value if you shop around and find a quad for £350 mark. That's £87 each and a good few years worth of listening. While I think the Mullard EL34's win on sound quality, the Psvane34-ph reach a level high level. It'll be interesting to see how long they last though!

Is there much of a difference between the Psvane EL34 types? For instance, between the EL34PH and the EL34UK? Pardon my ignorance.
Can't help with that unfortunately... that said, the Psvane EL34-ph comfortably outperform the Electro Harmonix tubes that the amp came with. I have seen a seller on eBay selling them in pairs. It might be worth a try and then you'll know for sure. Otherwise, we'll need someone who has compared them both to give us some feedback on the differences.

Going forward, I'm going to use the EL34-ph as a main daytime tube and use the Mullard EL34 for when it's all about the music (no work). I'll keep an eye open for more XF2's so that I have a couple of spare sets.

I still think the 12au7's are best bang for buck in terms of changing how the amp sounds. For instance, for the less than the price of the EL34-ph quad, I bought 2x Mullard M8136, 1x Telefunken and 1x Brimar. That's a lot of variation there... plus a spare!

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #798 of 1,086
IMG_3525.jpg
IMG_3524.jpg

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #799 of 1,086
Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC.... very nice!

Dec 16, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #800 of 1,086

You’re using the Nirvana as a pre into the iFi?

I actually have a cable en route to experiment with using same config as a pre to my CFA-3

Dec 17, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #801 of 1,086
You’re using the Nirvana as a pre into the iFi?

I actually have a cable en route to experiment with using same config as a pre to my CFA-3
I use the IESL to feed the Stax with nirvana amplification and it works like a charm !

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #802 of 1,086
I use the IESL to feed the Stax with nirvana amplification and it works like a charm !
Ah, should have looked more carefully. But great to know. And I’ll report on my experiment in a few days..

Dec 19, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #804 of 1,086
You’ll find the Nirvana very versatile. I have the Thekk and works great with it. Had the Elite and same. Had the LCD24 and same..

Given your collection, I’d recommend perhaps get a great dynamic headphone, perhaps a ZMF Atrium or VO and run it on the 300 ohm tap. It’s very different to the Susvara and also incredibly enjoyable.
Hello,
Does anybody have an Abyss 1266 with the Nirvana? Would you kindly comment on how they go together? Is the Nirvana much different from HA-2SF?
Thanks.

Dec 19, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #805 of 1,086
Hello,
Does anybody have an Abyss 1266 with the Nirvana? Would you kindly comment on how they go together? Is the Nirvana much different from HA-2SF?
Thanks.

A fellow head-fier friend brought his 1266 over and we ran it on the Nirvana, which said was great (I don’t have a reference point so relying on him). It drive it with ease.

I believe the Nirvana is more powerful than the HA-2SF, but I’d guess they share similar DNA/voicing

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #806 of 1,086
Looking at Auris web site I see the Nirvana IV.. no more beautiful wood :frowning2:
Anybody has tried this IV version? I still see the Limited Edition with wood for sale (in Adorama) is this the same IV version just with wood?
Thanks

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #807 of 1,086
Looking at Auris web site I see the Nirvana IV.. no more beautiful wood :frowning2:
Anybody has tried this IV version? I still see the Limited Edition with wood for sale (in Adorama) is this the same IV version just with wood?
Thanks
Not sure if the pre out on the IV is new, but from a sound perspective it is identical to the pretty wood versions.

If you try to aquire a Nirvana I recommend going for a wooden version as long as you still can.

The wooden Versions were 1-3. The first one even had a wooden power supply, 2 and 3 had a black external psu, 4 is now without any wood.

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #808 of 1,086
Indeed looks identical underneath except added pre out, cased in soulles metal. I’d grab the older wood while any remain..

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #809 of 1,086
A fellow head-fier friend brought his 1266 over and we ran it on the Nirvana, which said was great (I don’t have a reference point so relying on him). It drive it with ease.

I believe the Nirvana is more powerful than the HA-2SF, but I’d guess they share similar DNA/voicing

The Nirvana has 6.5watts and the HA-2SF has 2watts. Before I found a mk3 version of the Nirvana, I was looking at that amp as well. Not knowing what headphones I'll end up with in the future, I decided to go with the amp that should manage most if not all.

I think there are a few posts earlier on in this thread that compared the two.

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #810 of 1,086
Hello,
Thanks.
Hello, I have 1266TC ,Nirvana drive this headphones real good , I also have Formula S with Powerman amp and how sound Nirvana with Abyss 1266 I like much more , specially with Sophia Electric EL34 tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back