Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
Jan 14, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #841 of 1,086
only possible explanation/guess I can think of is that oerhaps your amo is stuck in low gain and gain switch isn't working properly?
I would reach out to Auris for technical support.
no we hear the difference between high and low gain

Jan 14, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #842 of 1,086
I have used both the tubes I've described above, as well as the JJ stock tubes, and had the best same result with both. so it's not a tube issue.

I've also eliminated its DAC issue. I just tried to plug my SP2000 directly to the Nirvana using both XLR and RCA out, and playing with different voltage line outs on the DAP. Across all options, I got the exact same volume level as I had with my Bricasti DAC.

I think you may need to contact your dealer or Auris to get technical help, this isn’t normal behavior, so sorry! 🙏

Jan 15, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #844 of 1,086
I’m using Meitner ma3 dac 4v xlr to hi gain nirvana gen.3/susvara
and I’m at 1-3pm on the volume knob
plenty of power for me
at 9:00 it would be way to quiet for me.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #845 of 1,086
Ok... I've had the Mullard EL34 XF2 (M34) since Monday now and as they were used, seemed to settle in quite fast. They're 1966 double O getter versions. Below are my thoughts of them compared to the Psvane EL34-ph Philips Replicas (P34ph) using a 1965 Mullard M8136 ECC82 (M8136).

When first listening to the M34 with the M8136, what struck me was how many similarities there were between them and the P34ph. Yes you can tell they’re different but equally, you can tell they’re related in some way. Both reach deep and have excellent soundstage and imaging with similar tonal balance. I found the differences were the size of the soundstage and the amount of decay which seemed to give the M34’s a more open feeling. The texture and micro detail were also very impressive as well. The P34-ph aren’t bad in any of these areas, just not quite as good.

My two channel system you could feel the music hanging in the air with clear placement of notes, instruments and singers etc. The M34’s achieved a similar effect but with headphones.

The P34’s do a similar thing but again, just not quite to the same extent. For instance, with the M34 I became more aware that some instrument placements felt like they were actually in the room with me while still holding the main element in front centre stage. It would make me jump as it sounded like someone had just came into the room. Mind you, I do know that the M8136 is more than a little responsible for this but combined with the M34’s it takes it a step further. The P34ph would do the same thing for some tracks but not as consistently as the M34’s.

What I would say is that when listening for long periods of time (7hrs or so while working), I think I may prefer the P34ph as they’re a little less demanding on the ears. There is so much going on with the M34’s that it sometimes felt a little more tiring. Or, am I coming down with another cold?!?

While the M34 bettered the P34ph in terms of soundstage and decay, I did feel that the P34-ph had a cleaner, dare I say, more precise sound. Less air?!? The layering is more distinct which gave it a rather nice clarity, definite sound. In terms of tone, they were very similar to the M34 but seemed to have a little more weight, warmth… or less upper mids / highs than the M34. That surprised me a little as I was expecting the M34’s to be a thicker sound. Maybe that’s why I like the P34ph for longer listening sessions?!?

I did feel that the P34ph were better for electronic genres due to the cleaner more distinct layering. That said, rolling the 12au7 will most likely allow you to fine tune the M34’s to suit.

I feel the M34 makes a very interesting addition to the P34ph. I don’t think it’s a case of one or the other and hats off to Psvane for making a really good stab of the Philips replicas, even if they don’t match the Mullards 100%. I’d still buy them again in a heart beat. Add a handful of 12au7’s, you should be able to find exactly what you want depending on mood and genre!
Thanks for this great review. I have the P34PH and have been considering the M34. Your review is detailed and balanced.

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #846 of 1,086
Well... Nirvana is coming home :L3000:

From pickup to drop off it will have been nine days in total... not bad at all and great comms throughout.

It turns out it was a failed cathode resistor and during soak testing they also found the input selector to be noisy so they replaced that as well. No other faults were found so it's now on its way back! I can see a weekend of music and single malt :o2smile:

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #847 of 1,086
Look who’s burning bright tonight :L3000:

CFFCDBBC-D7AA-4983-B0D4-91F71401E21F.jpeg

Oh how I’ve missed that sound! Don’t get me wrong, I really like the HE as a main amp but it just can’t compete with the Nirvana!

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #848 of 1,086
Look who’s burning bright tonight :L3000:

CFFCDBBC-D7AA-4983-B0D4-91F71401E21F.jpeg

Oh how I’ve missed that sound! Don’t get me wrong, I really like the HE as a main amp but it just can’t compete with the Nirvana!

Congrats!

and I see the Mullard... well, I just rolled it in first time (it's been in the drawer past month since I got it. letting it burn..

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #849 of 1,086
It’s my go-to-tube, really like the bass extension, texture and soundstage depth… have fun, from memory it sounded good from early on!

Feb 4, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #850 of 1,086
Hey All, hope everyone's been having some good Nirvana listening. What's your headphone of choice at the moment with our amp?

Sorry if I missed it, but I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between the different Psvane EL34's? I think they have three EL34 offerings? (I'm currently using the UK iteration). Wondering if there is much of a sound quality jump between them.

Feb 4, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #851 of 1,086
Hey All, hope everyone's been having some good Nirvana listening. What's your headphone of choice at the moment with our amp?

Sorry if I missed it, but I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between the different Psvane EL34's? I think they have three EL34 offerings? (I'm currently using the UK iteration). Wondering if there is much of a sound quality jump between them.
I'm paring my Nirvana with D8000 pro at the moment :)

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #852 of 1,086
What's your headphone of choice at the moment with our amp?

This weekend, Pioneer SE-Master1, Kennerton Thekk, and ZMF Atrium are on rotation…:)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #853 of 1,086

I only have the Psvane EL34-PH Philips Replicas. I'm tempted to try their UK version just to see how they differ.

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #855 of 1,086
Has anyone tried either e80cc or e181cc in place of the 12au7?

Spending today tube rolling:
  • Siemens 5814A (1974 Long Plates, Triple Mica, Copper Grid)
  • Philips E180CC 7062 SQ Special Quality
The Siemens 5814A is my reference point, as it's been my main input tube for the past 10 months. I mentioned it here prior, it is just fantastic.

On first, listen, the Philips E180CC is terrific. I need more time to develop an appreciation if and how it defers from the Siemens. But it sounds great for sure and yes it works great!

Have some thoughts on the E181CC - will pm you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back