Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
Dec 9, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #781 of 1,048
Hopefully they won't take too much longer to arrive. One half of me hopes they'll sound really special while the other hopes the EL34-PH sound very like them :o2smile:

By the way, the Mullars M8136 pair very well with the EL34-PH. I've found the old logo versions to me smoother with a tighter bass. The 1970s onwards (new shield logo) sound good but have a little more edge, grain to them.

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #782 of 1,048
A question about the Nirvana linear power supply... does everyone just leave it switched on all the time?!? It's what I've been doing but not sure if that's correct!

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #783 of 1,048
Yes, it is problematic if the differences are not very obvious.

It was very obvious between the Psvane EL34-PH vs Electro Harmonix. The bass extends a lot further with the Psvane and the width and depth of the soundstage really stood out. I don't have the Sophia but if it's that close, the EL34-PH are a lot easier to get a hold of and cheaper given the delivery etc of the Sophia (for me - UK).

I bought a used but strong pair of 1960s double O getter Mullard EL34's... still waiting on them to arrive but it should be interesting to see how the Philips replicas compare to the original Mullards!

The differences between a lot of the 12au7's are bigger, easier to pickup on!

You'll hear a big difference I bet 😁

Even with the time it takes to swap the tubes, the A/B comparison will be pretty large.

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #784 of 1,048
A question about the Nirvana linear power supply... does everyone just leave it switched on all the time?!? It's what I've been doing but not sure if that's correct!

I leave mine on all the time.

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #785 of 1,048
You'll hear a big difference I bet :grin:

Even with the time it takes to swap the tubes, the A/B comparison will be pretty large.

Lol... I hope so, but hey, if there isn't then that's great as well as I have two pairs of EL34-PH :o2smile:

I leave mine on all the time.

I thought it would be. I didn't really think about it until today when I was testing the new power cable. The on / off switch would have been on the front and not the back if it was to be switched on and off all the time! Cheers 👍🏻

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #786 of 1,048
I still have the impression that I prefer my listening with the PSVANE versus SOPHIA.

However it is also playing with the auditory memory. Because to make the tubes cool down, then to make them warm up before starting the listening... it's rather long and not really objective.

But I notice that the PSVANE gives more amplitude to the sound in particular in the register of the basses. It is better "held". The sound stage seems to me wider with the PSVANE.

The ideal would be to compare with two nirvana side by side but there it's not won to find another owner...
Nothing wrong with Psvane tubes, I love them in my primaluna amp. I wonder if you could feed a mono signal to the nirvana, then put a sophia in the right channel and a psvane in the left. Other things being equal we could get around auditory memory issues and by blind swapping left and right channel any psycological bias?

I cannot imagine any issues that could hurt the amp?

I could do the same with my primaluna, swap out two left channel power tubes for Sophia’s, but I’d not get the resolution and clarity of the nirvana amp which might make comparisons less valuable.

Tony

Dec 9, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #787 of 1,048

Yes, on all the time - just powering the amp itself off

Dec 9, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #789 of 1,048
But that is the CFA3. :smile:
yes deleted.. but mistake... trouble shooting with Dukei and pasted by error from parallel message... sorry

Dec 9, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #790 of 1,048
(but answer stands:))

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #791 of 1,048
Hopefully they won't take too much longer to arrive. One half of me hopes they'll sound really special while the other hopes the EL34-PH sound very like them :o2smile:

By the way, the Mullars M8136 pair very well with the EL34-PH. I've found the old logo versions to me smoother with a tighter bass. The 1970s onwards (new shield logo) sound good but have a little more edge, grain to them.
Curious how the sound difference between the Mullard M8136 which you have on your Nirvana vs the standard Mullard ecc82s from UK.

Is it more detailed, articulation vs smooth and rich ?

Am asking as I have on order for the SE el34 and Mullard Blackburn ecc82. Thinking if I should have ordered the M8136 instead.

Dec 10, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #792 of 1,048
Curious how the sound difference between the Mullard M8136 which you have on your Nirvana vs the standard Mullard ecc82s from UK.

Is it more detailed, articulation vs smooth and rich ?

Am asking as I have on order for the SE el34 and Mullard Blackburn ecc82. Thinking if I should have ordered the M8136 instead.
I've never tried the standard Mullard ECC82 unfortunately. But, the M8136 version which was an upgraded version for long life, precision use for the military does sound the most articulate out of the 12au7 tubes I have.

I'd say it's on the warmer side of neutral but certainly not overly so, detailed with great bass extension. Cradle to the Grave on the Hostiles movie soundtrack, you really feel the bass rumble... seems to go very deep. It's not a flabby bass either, tight and impactful with a certain force to it. That said, when new and burning in the bass is a little loose but not for long. It's one of the few tubes that I really enjoyed straight off from new. It has some great bass punch when listening to EDM as well.

Mids have a nice sweetness to them, very clear and the highs are well presented but not overly extended or rolled. As you said, it's just more articulate and detailed than most other tubes I've listened to. As well as the mids, layering, imaging and soundstage depth are my other favourite aspects of this tube. Instruments and voices are layered so you can clearly tell where they are but it never feels like a collection of individual elements.

If you do go for one, try and buy the ones with the old shield logo rather than the new one. The new logo is used on tubes from 1970 onwards and I've noticed they have a little more edge, grain to them... especially in the highs. I don't think there is a big difference in price, just takes a little more looking around as the new logo versions are more common.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #793 of 1,048
I've never tried the standard Mullard ECC82 unfortunately. But, the M8136 version which was an upgraded version for long life, precision use for the military does sound the most articulate out of the 12au7 tubes I have.

I'd say it's on the warmer side of neutral but certainly not overly so, detailed with great bass extension. Cradle to the Grave on the Hostiles movie soundtrack, you really feel the bass rumble... seems to go very deep. It's not a flabby bass either, tight and impactful with a certain force to it. That said, when new and burning in the bass is a little loose but not for long. It's one of the few tubes that I really enjoyed straight off from new. It has some great bass punch when listening to EDM as well.

Mids have a nice sweetness to them, very clear and the highs are well presented but not overly extended or rolled. As you said, it's just more articulate and detailed than most other tubes I've listened to. As well as the mids, layering, imaging and soundstage depth are my other favourite aspects of this tube. Instruments and voices are layered so you can clearly tell where they are but it never feels like a collection of individual elements.

If you do go for one, try and buy the ones with the old shield logo rather than the new one. The new logo is used on tubes from 1970 onwards and I've noticed they have a little more edge, grain to them... especially in the highs. I don't think there is a big difference in price, just takes a little more looking around as the new logo versions are more common.
Thank you for your sharing and guidance. Much appreciate it !
Definitely have this in my radar as the next tube to roll.

Dec 16, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #794 of 1,048
Ok... I've had the Mullard EL34 XF2 (M34) since Monday now and as they were used, seemed to settle in quite fast. They're 1966 double O getter versions. Below are my thoughts of them compared to the Psvane EL34-ph Philips Replicas (P34ph) using a 1965 Mullard M8136 ECC82 (M8136).

When first listening to the M34 with the M8136, what struck me was how many similarities there were between them and the P34ph. Yes you can tell they’re different but equally, you can tell they’re related in some way. Both reach deep and have excellent soundstage and imaging with similar tonal balance. I found the differences were the size of the soundstage and the amount of decay which seemed to give the M34’s a more open feeling. The texture and micro detail were also very impressive as well. The P34-ph aren’t bad in any of these areas, just not quite as good.

My two channel system you could feel the music hanging in the air with clear placement of notes, instruments and singers etc. The M34’s achieved a similar effect but with headphones.

The P34’s do a similar thing but again, just not quite to the same extent. For instance, with the M34 I became more aware that some instrument placements felt like they were actually in the room with me while still holding the main element in front centre stage. It would make me jump as it sounded like someone had just came into the room. Mind you, I do know that the M8136 is more than a little responsible for this but combined with the M34’s it takes it a step further. The P34ph would do the same thing for some tracks but not as consistently as the M34’s.

What I would say is that when listening for long periods of time (7hrs or so while working), I think I may prefer the P34ph as they’re a little less demanding on the ears. There is so much going on with the M34’s that it sometimes felt a little more tiring. Or, am I coming down with another cold?!?

While the M34 bettered the P34ph in terms of soundstage and decay, I did feel that the P34-ph had a cleaner, dare I say, more precise sound. Less air?!? The layering is more distinct which gave it a rather nice clarity, definite sound. In terms of tone, they were very similar to the M34 but seemed to have a little more weight, warmth… or less upper mids / highs than the M34. That surprised me a little as I was expecting the M34’s to be a thicker sound. Maybe that’s why I like the P34ph for longer listening sessions?!?

I did feel that the P34ph were better for electronic genres due to the cleaner more distinct layering. That said, rolling the 12au7 will most likely allow you to fine tune the M34’s to suit.

I feel the M34 makes a very interesting addition to the P34ph. I don’t think it’s a case of one or the other and hats off to Psvane for making a really good stab of the Philips replicas, even if they don’t match the Mullards 100%. I’d still buy them again in a heart beat. Add a handful of 12au7’s, you should be able to find exactly what you want depending on mood and genre!

Dec 16, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #795 of 1,048
wow,great review toonartist!
for me,the psvane-ph is a real significant step above the stock jj and eh tubes,and a really great effort for a modern day tube.
they are also much better than most nos tubes out there.the cost/performance on these tubes are off the charts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back