Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
Dec 1, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #751 of 1,086
wonder why no feedack on new auris nirvana amp, and how it would compare with cayin HA-300MK2 using susvara

Dec 1, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #752 of 1,086
wonder why no feedack on new auris nirvana amp, and how it would compare with cayin HA-300MK2 using susvara

It just came out a couple of weeks ago on Auris' own website, and I think dealers are still selling MK2/MK3 so no much new inventory on the market yet (and no clue on Auris own inventory/ship time of direct purchases?)

That said, as far as I can tell, the internals are probably identical (for that matter for all MK1 to MK4). The only qualitative differences between all versions to date, including, seem to be the power source unit (size/design). And with MK4 a difference external esthetics, moving from the beautiful wood to a generic metal chasis.

You could probbaly rather safely rely on reviews of prior Nirvana versions for sound. As far as the esthetics, enough has been said here. Pretty much of all us like the MK1-3 versions more than the new one. But with headphones on your ears, it whould probably make little difference I guess.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #753 of 1,086
It just came out a couple of weeks ago on Auris' own website, and I think dealers are still selling MK2/MK3 so no much new inventory on the market yet (and no clue on Auris own inventory/ship time of direct purchases?)

That said, as far as I can tell, the internals are probably identical (for that matter for all MK1 to MK4). The only qualitative differences seem to be the power source unit (size/design).

You could probbaly rather safely rely on reviews of prior Nirvana for sound. As far as the esthetics, enough has been said here. Pretty much of all us like the MK1-3 versions more than the new one. Bu on your ears it should make little difference I guess.
for such tube amps, does the sus need better tubes than the stock ones and which aftermarket tubes are recommended leaing towards full warmish musical sound with susvara, hope changing tubes will not cost a furtune

Dec 1, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #754 of 1,086
While I don't have the Sus, I can say that tube rolling is very reasonable in terms of £s. The 12au7's really do influence the sound a lot and as it's just one tube, you can pick up a few for very little. For warmth and musicality, so far the Mullard M8136 / 12au7 (£100) & then Telefunken ECC82 (£80) are both very good, Mullard is warmer. As it stands, I'm preferring the the Mullard. There's also a Telefunken ECC802s but they are hard to find (real not fake ones) and do cost a lot more. Also, I found the Tung-Sol 12au7 that was the stock tube with my Mkii is also very good.

Compared to a 300b amp, you can add a lot of tube options for a lot less. Yes, you can go crazy and buy Mullard EL34 NOS but there are other very good EL34's at a fraction of the cost as well as very good new production tubes from Sophia & Psvane.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #755 of 1,086
for such tube amps, does the sus need better tubes than the stock ones and which aftermarket tubes are recommended leaing towards full warmish musical sound with susvara, hope changing tubes will not cost a furtune

I have the Susvara, and the Nirvana powers it very well.

I used the stock tubes for a long time (4-5 months) just to the purpose of getting to know the amplifier and creating a reference line before making any changes. I didn't feel I was missing anything. Eventually I rolled in some other tubes and enjoyed the changes, but the overall sound signature of the amp with the Susvara remained essentially similar at its core. So you should not have an urgent need to do that. However, you have the confidence of tube rolling easily (EL34 and ECC82 both commonly available and relatively inexpensive) with ability to optimize further to your liking. You can easily stay in the low hundreds of $, or can stretch into the high hundreds - but you likely won't be spending much above that on tubes.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #756 of 1,086

The stock tubes with Nirvava do a slight disservice to Susvara since it is one of the most revealing headphones available.

I highly recommend Mullard new old stock EL34 Xf1s with the brown base or Mullard Xf2s new old stock.

For the Ecc802/12au7 I recommend Telefunken or Mullard new old stock as well.

If you decide to go new current production tubes, a pair of Sophia Electric EL34s is a good bet. Unsure what good Ecc802/12au7 would be since I only roll with the old stuff.

With Susvara, I cannot stress this enough, the tubes make a big difference. You will instantly hear a more powerful, full-bodied sound over the stock tubes.

If you have Susvara and a Nirvana, the extra $$$ for good tubes is well worth it, imo.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #757 of 1,086
a pair of Sophia Electric EL34s is a good bet. Unsure what good 12au7 would be since I only roll with the old stuff.

I agree with that - I got the Sophia Electric EL34s which I really like (listening to them now:)).
On my end, for the 12au7 indeed I got NOS (I think there are quite a lot of NOS options on that one) - for me, it's a Siemens1974)

Dec 1, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #758 of 1,086
(note that Auris changes their stock tubes from time to time; when I got my amp it was JJ Electronics, so first impressions on stock tube will vary depending on what those were at the time)

Dec 1, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #759 of 1,086
(note that Auris changes their stock tubes from time to time; when I got my amp it was JJ Electronics, so first impressions on stock tube will vary depending on what those were at the time)

I had JJ Electronics with mine, too, and I really don't recommend them.

Dec 2, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #760 of 1,086
I agree with that - I got the Sophia Electric EL34s which I really like (listening to them now:)).
On my end, for the 12au7 indeed I got NOS (I think there are quite a lot of NOS options on that one) - for me, it's a Siemens1974)

I'll keep a look out for the Siemens1974 as well. Is it named as Siemens or is it also branded Tesla? The beauty of the 12au7 tubes is they aren't silly expensive so it's easy to add them to a collection... that is a good thing right :o2smile:

Not sure if the guy I bought from is limited to the UK but it was as described, NOS in box with what looks to be original tissue paper / cardboard wrapping as well. It had a glass etched 4 digit date code, the older (pre 1970's logo shield) making it a 1960's tube. He seems to have a few (I'm going back for another one). This particular version of the Mullard 12au7 is similar to that of the Telefunken ECC802s. That is it's the uprated special edition of the standard Mullard 12au7. Like the 802s, they have been designed to a higher standard for long life / quality etc.

They're more readily available I believe due to the factory in the UK being paid to keep churning them out even as usage fell. The Mitcham factory site has an interesting history for those interested. Covered about 46 acres I believe in its heyday.

I will add a 802s at some point, just hard to find a real one!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #761 of 1,086
I'll keep a look out for the Siemens1974 as well. Is it named as Siemens or is it also branded Tesla? The beauty of the 12au7 tubes is they aren't silly expensive so it's easy to add them to a collection... that is a good thing right :o2smile:

This is the guy I bought the Mullard M8136 tube from. Not sure if he's just limited to the UK but it was as described, NOS in box with what looks to be original tissue paper / cardboard wrapping as well. It had a glass etched 4 digit date code, the older (pre 1970's logo shield) making it a 1960's tube. He seems to have a few (I'm going back for another one). This particular version of the Mullard 12au7 is similar to that of the Telefunken ECC802s. That is it's the uprated special edition of the standard Mullard 12au7. Like the 802s, they have been designed to a higher standard for long life / quality etc.

They're more readily available I believe due to the factory in the UK being paid to keep churning them out even as usage fell. The Mitcham factory site has an interesting history for those interested. Covered about 46 acres I believe in its heyday.

I will add a 802s at some point, just hard to find a real one!
Yes, excellent and reasonably priced input tubes are out there. I agree with the previous sentiments, they are the best investment. I also went the sophia el34 power tubes and think them worthwhile with a subtle improvement mainly in bass, driving abyss 1266 TC.

I keep thinking I’ll try a 300b amp one day as well, but the cost of tubes is crazy if you want to try some top end brands… Nirvana has the advantage there.

T

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #762 of 1,086
This is the guy I bought the Mullard M8136 tube from. Not sure if he's just limited to the UK but it was as described, NOS in box with what looks to be original tissue paper / cardboard wrapping as well. It had a glass etched 4 digit date code, the older (pre 1970's logo shield) making it a 1960's tube. He seems to have a few (I'm going back for another one).

Thanks for that share! I think I’ll get one as well..

I'll keep a look out for the Siemens1974 as well. Is it named as Siemens or is it also branded Tesla?

It’s Siemens branded. I’ll try to send a picture and post it here later today!

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #764 of 1,086
I'll keep a look out for the Siemens1974 as well. Is it named as Siemens or is it also branded Tesla?

Sorry I was a bit slow, but here the pictures of this tube:

1670178606077.png

1670178627236.png

1670178647822.png

1670178673145.png

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #765 of 1,086
Thanks… that should make it easier to search for. The Sophia Electric look impressive 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back