Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
Dec 4, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #766 of 1,048
I had an unexpected revelation this morning regarding the positive impact of power cables on the Nirvana.

I have another amp en route this week (a CFA-3) and was doing some advance rack and cable planning, which prompted me to do some power cable switching between my amps, and I did some impromptu tests.

I've found that when switching from the Nordost Heimdall 2, which I've been using with the Nirvana this past year, to the Cardas Parsec (which I normally use with another amp), resulted in an audible upgrade in bass clarity and a perceptible soundstage improvement. Considering that the Parsec is half the price of the Heimdall, this is a very good reminder for myself to always keep testing...

TLDR.. I highly recommend the Cardas Parsec power cable with the Nivrana!

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #767 of 1,048
Thanks… that should make it easier to search for. The Sophia Electric look impressive 👍🏻

I can't deny it has a very serious esthetic appeal as a bonus :)

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #768 of 1,048
I have a Powerstrada #309 with Furutech FI-50 NCF plugs on the Atom HE and a Wireworld Stratus 7 on the Nirvana at the moment. I tried reversing them but felt I lost a bit of bass tightness.

So, I’ve just ordered some parts for a new cable. Furutech FP-TCS31 cable, Furutech FI-1363 Rhodium & Furutech FI-28 Rhodium. It’ll take a week or so to run it in before trying it out in various parts of the power chain.

Power cables can be funny things, some suit certain bits of kit better than others. Not the case of more $ = better sound. I know the plugs are good but if the cable doesn’t suit then I’ll just swap it out with something else.

I Also have a set of 4 Furutech FP-108 Rhodium RCA plugs to update the Oyaide RCA cables I’m using.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #769 of 1,048
Power cables can be funny things, some suit certain bits of kit better than others. Not the case of more $ = better sound. I know the plugs are good but if the cable doesn’t suit then I’ll just swap it out with something else.

Ineed, good reminder the only way to know is to test... glad I did today :)

Dec 4, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #771 of 1,048
TQ offer great cables. I've used a range of their gear when I had a 2 channel system... very good!

Dec 4, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #772 of 1,048
I am particularly skeptical about power cables and USB cables. I've already tested similar configurations (amp/dac/headphones/source/chosen song) side by side and I never found any difference.

But that's another debate..

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #773 of 1,048
I am particularly skeptical about power cables and USB cables. I've already tested similar configurations (amp/dac/headphones/source/chosen song) side by side and I never found any difference.

But that's another debate..

I was not looking for an upgrade. If you read above, I was actually switching around from a more to a less expensive cable as I was rearranging my rack, and found a big improvement. That was neither expected not something I look for. But definitely heard. There is no doubt in my system this had an impact.

I think whether you will hear a change or not will depend on your specific chain. As well as whether one cable will be preferrable to another or not (synergies are unpredictable).

As far as being skeptical, only one way to find out. Test and see if you hear anything. If not (no matter the reason) then move on.

Dec 4, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #774 of 1,048
Was doing bit of reading on head fi to try to gather more impressions on the Sophia Electric el34 tubes and stumbled on this wonderful Auris Nirvana thread. Thanks to those of you who has shared your experiences with using the SE el34 in the last page, i’ve just ordered a pair of SE el34s for my Cayin ha-6a. There are similarities between the 2 amps( (Auris Nirvana and Cayin ha-6a) in terms of tubes, they both use the el34 and 12au7; although Cayin has another kt88 option.

Currently am using reissued Mullards as i have inclinations towards the mids and much prefers a smooth and rich sound signature. Am hoping that i will get a bit more details, tighter bass and stage separation with the SE el34s; coupling with the reissued Mullard 12au7. I do have another pair of nos Sylvania 12au7 which provides relatively higher resolution and clarity but it lacks the warmth and richness of sound of reissued Mullard. I may give the nos Mullard CV4003 a go at a later point though.

Would be great to hear your thoughts on which has more impact to the sound, power or input /pre amp tubes in your experience with the Nirvana. I consider myself still a newbie when it comes to tubes so pardon me for the elementary question. Thanks.

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #775 of 1,048
In my opinion, the 12au7 affect the sound more than the el34 on the nirvana, its like 70% pre amp tube 30% power tube.

And great amp you got there:beerchug:

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #776 of 1,048
In my opinion, the 12au7 affect the sound more than the el34 on the nirvana, its like 70% pre amp tube 30% power tube.

And great amp you got there:beerchug:
Thanks. That seems to be my experience so far with the Cayin. It will be my main focus area on further tube rolling/fine tuning once I have the SE el34 coming in as my main power tubes.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #777 of 1,048
Was doing bit of reading on head fi to try to gather more impressions on the Sophia Electric el34 tubes and stumbled on this wonderful Auris Nirvana thread. Thanks to those of you who has shared your experiences with using the SE el34 in the last page, i’ve just ordered a pair of SE el34s for my Cayin ha-6a. There are similarities between the 2 amps( (Auris Nirvana and Cayin ha-6a) in terms of tubes, they both use the el34 and 12au7; although Cayin has another kt88 option.

Currently am using reissued Mullards as i have inclinations towards the mids and much prefers a smooth and rich sound signature. Am hoping that i will get a bit more details, tighter bass and stage separation with the SE el34s; coupling with the reissued Mullard 12au7. I do have another pair of nos Sylvania 12au7 which provides relatively higher resolution and clarity but it lacks the warmth and richness of sound of reissued Mullard. I may give the nos Mullard CV4003 a go at a later point though.

Would be great to hear your thoughts on which has more impact to the sound, power or input /pre amp tubes in your experience with the Nirvana. I consider myself still a newbie when it comes to tubes so pardon me for the elementary question. Thanks.
It’s a personal taste thing for sure but I have tried el34 / kt88 comparisons in my prima luna evo200 amp… I prefer the tonal balance of the el34 tubes that come stock with that amp to the “drier” less rich sound of the Shu Giang black treasure natural wonder kt88 tubes i tried.

I was advised by Auris not to use the KT88 in the Nirvana so that’s a comparison I won’t do, but I am so happy with the Sophia el34. But the bigbest improvement I obtained was on the input tube - I now use the GE long plate 5814A (1970s maybe a sylvania, it’s ex military and I got it from the valve store in Melbourne Australia).

I now also use the same input tubes int the prima Luna as well… the headphone out of the prima Luna is however nowhere near the Nirvana… speaker duty only.

Once you get the right input tube the improvement will dazzle!

T

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #778 of 1,048
I still have the impression that I prefer my listening with the PSVANE versus SOPHIA.

However it is also playing with the auditory memory. Because to make the tubes cool down, then to make them warm up before starting the listening... it's rather long and not really objective.

But I notice that the PSVANE gives more amplitude to the sound in particular in the register of the basses. It is better "held". The sound stage seems to me wider with the PSVANE.

The ideal would be to compare with two nirvana side by side but there it's not won to find another owner...

Dec 9, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #779 of 1,048
Yes, it is problematic if the differences are not very obvious.

It was very obvious between the Psvane EL34-PH vs Electro Harmonix. The bass extends a lot further with the Psvane and the width and depth of the soundstage really stood out. I don't have the Sophia but if it's that close, the EL34-PH are a lot easier to get a hold of and cheaper given the delivery etc of the Sophia (for me - UK).

I bought a used but strong pair of 1960s double O getter Mullard EL34's... still waiting on them to arrive but it should be interesting to see how the Philips replicas compare to the original Mullards!

The differences between a lot of the 12au7's are bigger, easier to pickup on!

Dec 9, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #780 of 1,048
Exactly

Nice to have some feedback on the Mullards !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back