Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
Aug 13, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #421 of 1,048
So if you smell into the little window on the front of the power supply, can you smell anything? In my case, during usage, I can smell something only when I smell into the window really close, but when turning off the amp, I can smell the same scent even when I’m 3-4 feet away
I just tried, I sniff directly from the window while the machine is playing, smell nothing.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #422 of 1,048
The situation just got worse today, previously it smells like rosin flux, and I thought it might not be a big deal, but today it smell more like smoke and quite strong, I immediately unplugged it from the power... Milomir the owner of Auris replied quite fast and suggest me to contact one of their service center in US, I sent an Email to that center on Friday and still haven't got a response...
To be honest I'm quite disappointed at the quality of an amp that cost close to $6000, I purchased it new only 4 months ago... Don't know how long it will take them to fix or replace the PSU, but at least a few weeks without my amp is certain... :frowning2:

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #423 of 1,048
The situation just got worse today, previously it smells like rosin flux, and I thought it might not be a big deal, but today it smell more like smoke and quite strong, I immediately unplugged it from the power... Milomir the owner of Auris replied quite fast and suggest me to contact one of their service center in US, I sent an Email to that center on Friday and still haven't got a response...
To be honest I'm quite disappointed at the quality of an amp that cost close to $6000, I purchased it new only 4 months ago... Don't know how long it will take them to fix or replace the PSU, but at least a few weeks without my amp is certain... :frowning2:I know how it feels

To be honest I'm quite disappointed at the quality of an amp that cost close to $6000, I purchased it new only 4 months ago... Don't know how long it will take them to fix or replace the PSU, but at least a few weeks without my amp is certain... :frowning2:
I know how it feels, but it requires some luck when purchase electronics, this kinda things happens sometimes, the Nirvana is a great amp after all.

And I wish you can get the psu replace asap.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #424 of 1,048
I know how it feels, but it requires some luck when purchase electronics, this kinda things happens sometimes, the Nirvana is a great amp after all.

And I wish you can get the psu replace asap.
Thank you!
I guess I have really bad luck in this then.
I purchased a Burson Soloist at first, and it was a failing unit, only after a week of usage, it started to generating DC spikes and burnt my Focal Clear.
Then it was the TT2, only half year of usage after purchased new, failed and burnt my IE900...
The customer services were not bad though, it all got sorted out and didn't cost me any real money, just a lot of waiting time... but I feel it happens too often on me...

Aug 15, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #425 of 1,048
Thank you!
I purchased a Burson Soloist at first, and it was a failing unit, only after a week of usage, it started to generating DC spikes and burnt my Focal Clear.
Then it was the TT2, only half year of usage after purchased new, failed and burnt my IE900...
The customer services were not bad though, it all got sorted out and didn't cost me any real money, just a lot of waiting time... but I feel it happens too often on me...
I see a theme here, and it sounds a little too much of a coincidence for it to be bad luck.

I think it’s time for you to invest in a good power conditioner. Your power supply may be spiky and causing issues with all your various gears. You need something to protect it..

Aug 15, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #426 of 1,048
Thank you!
Why don't you get your listening room power board checked from some qualified professionals if such issues are happening on regular basis ?

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #427 of 1,048
I see a theme here, and it sounds a little too much of a coincidence for it to be bad luck.

I think it’s time for you to invest in a good power conditioner. Your power supply may be spiky and causing issues with all your various gears. You need something to protect it..
I agree, if it happened this often, that means something is wrong.

Aug 15, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #428 of 1,048
Just got myself some good old GE5814a, it sounds amazing, it sounds more mellow when compare to the telefunken ecc82 while maintain good resolution and less pressure on the ear, it works quite well with the sophia electric el34, its a great purchase :)

It comes in a vacuum sealed tin foil package, and its made in 1954.
20220815_174741.jpg

2 tubes per package
20220815_174759.jpg

Brand new!
20220815_174820.jpg

And this is how it looks
20220815_174947.jpg

Aug 15, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #429 of 1,048

I know it's easier to question one person instead of a bunch of brands, but it's not like that, these incidents happened across 2 years time frame, and during which I live in different house, using different wall power, even in different zipcode.... after the TT2 failure, I even purchased a few expensive surge protectors with power filtering, still didn't prevent the failure of Nirvana's PSU...
Also I own a bunch of other gears running without issue, those failed gears after fix or replacement are also still working fine in my house.
I live in California bay area with high density of population and 0 storm rain during the year, so I don't believe the power quality is that bad in this area, otherwise all those big tech company would complain...
Also if you go through the TT2 and Burson Soloist thread here in Headfi, you will see other people having the same issue with me... I have to say bad luck is with me for sure, but low quality on those two brands' product is also for sure... For Nirvana, seems I'm the only one having this issue here so far, but I think that is because Nirvana is just not that popular compare to the other two thus don't have enough samples

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #430 of 1,048
I know it's easier to question one person instead of a bunch of brands, but it's not like that, these incidents happened across 2 years time frame, and during which I live in different house, using different wall power, even in different zipcode.... after the TT2 failure, I even purchased a few expensive surge protectors with power filtering, still didn't prevent the failure of Nirvana's PSU...
Also I own a bunch of other gears running without issue, those failed gears after fix or replacement are also still working fine in my house.
I live in California bay area with high density of population and 0 storm rain during the year, so I don't believe the power quality is that bad in this area, otherwise all those big tech company would complain...
Also if you go through the TT2 and Burson Soloist thread here in Headfi, you will see other people having the same issue with me... I have to say bad luck is with me for sure, but low quality on those two brands' product is also for sure...

You are definitely unlucky then, my friend.

At least for Auris, none such issues have been widely reported that I’m aware of. Hopefully the PSU fault hasn’t cascaded into the amp itself, assuming that’s the case then it should be easy to replace hopefully.

Aug 15, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #431 of 1,048
You are definitely unlucky then, my friend.

At least for Auris, none such issues have been widely reported that I’m aware of. Hopefully the PSU fault hasn’t cascaded into the amp itself, assuming that’s the case then it should be easy to replace hopefully.
Unfortunately that is true...
Until I unplug the Nirvana from the power, it's still sounding right, so I hope the fault hasn't cascaded... Now I just hope they don't need me to send both main unit and the PSU for checking, really don't want to ship that 40 lbs monster...

Aug 17, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #432 of 1,048
Ok, here is how it goes, I first got a reply from Milomir from Auris Audio, he said that is strange and ask me to contact one of their service center, and then after a few un-replied email and phone calls, I finally get in touch with the service center, when the guy from service center first heard me saying Auris Audio, he rudely interrupt me and ask me to call Auris Audio instead, I have to stop him and explained that I have already done that, then he gave me two options: 1st is send the full unit to him and he will try to fix it, but since he doesn't have any part from Auris Audio, for any additional part he need, Auris has to send him and it will take quite a long time and I can only wait, plus the round trip shipping fees are on me, which will be a few hundred USD, 2nd option is ask Auris to send me a replacement of PSU which make much more sense to me, as the shipping cost of the full unit will be equal or higher than the cost of a new PSU
So I contact Auris again to see if they can send me a new PSU, but the answer is NO, they can only send a new PSU to the service center, and I have to ship the completely fine 40 lbs main unit to the service center anyway, and after I ask whether they can cover the shipping fees or at least the return shipping like all other brands do, or if I can directly buy a new PSU from them without going through the warranty, they stop replying me...
It has been two days since my last email, and I'm really disappointed at the customer support they provided, I'm a loyal customer of them, owning both Euterpe and Nirvana, but I definitely don't feel like a valuable customer, they never show any apologize from their word, I feel I'm the one with fault, and the only fault I made is buying their products

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #433 of 1,048
Ok, here is how it goes, I first got a reply from Milomir from Auris Audio, he said that is strange and ask me to contact one of their service center, and then after a few un-replied email and phone calls, I finally get in touch with the service center, when the guy from service center first heard me saying Auris Audio, he rudely interrupt me and ask me to call Auris Audio instead, I have to stop him and explained that I have already done that, then he gave me two options: 1st is send the full unit to him and he will try to fix it, but since he doesn't have any part from Auris Audio, for any additional part he need, Auris has to send him and it will take quite a long time and I can only wait, plus the round trip shipping fees are on me, which will be a few hundred USD, 2nd option is ask Auris to send me a replacement of PSU which make much more sense to me, as the shipping cost of the full unit will be equal or higher than the cost of a new PSU
So I contact Auris again to see if they can send me a new PSU, but the answer is NO, they can only send a new PSU to the service center, and I have to ship the completely fine 40 lbs main unit to the service center anyway, and after I ask whether they can cover the shipping fees or at least the return shipping like all other brands do, or if I can directly buy a new PSU from them without going through the warranty, they stop replying me...
It has been two days since my last email, and I'm really disappointed at the customer support they provided, I'm a loyal customer of them, owning both Euterpe and Nirvana, but I definitely don't feel like a valuable customer, they never show any apologize from their word, I feel I'm the one with fault, and the only fault I made is buying their products
Sorry to hear this, hope you got the problem sort out real soon.

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #434 of 1,048
Ensure you let them know you're sharing their atrocious Customer Disappointment on Head-Fi.

I'll never touch a thing from them.

I'd reach out to one of the many wonderful builders on Head-Fi as they should be courteous enough to troubleshoot and repair the amp.

Aug 17, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #435 of 1,048

Yes indeed. I assume(?) they have a head-fi account, your should tag them. I’d do same on head-fi group on Facebook tagging them, and on their own Facebook page (assume they have one).

For companies like ZMF, you sneeze they fly over with a box of tissue paper. And then, companies like Auris (seems like) need the modern social media ping to jump to proper action.

Sorry this is your experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back