Auris HA2 SF
Jan 5, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #316 of 376
I just opened the Auris HA - 2SF, set it up and I am letting it warm up. My amp has the switch on the back for high and low gain. I am using HD800's which are 300ohm's; which option should I use? Low, Mid or High? High or low gain? Why? I will obviously listen to all the possible pairings. Thanks.

Jan 5, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #317 of 376
Personally, I would say always keep it in high gain unless you're plugging in something super sensitive like an IEM. I prefer the additional headroom even if the volume is low. (I'm running HE1000 v2s out of it currently).

Even when I still had the Focal Clears, which are simple to drive, it sounded way better on high gain with the volume way down than it did on low gain with more volume. Audeze LCD-2's, LCD-24's, HD600's, all had similar effects for me.

I've done a bit of tube rolling on this, and there are a few that sound quite nice. (The power tubes, don't bother the stock ones are really the best. But in the V1 socket, that 12au7 can make a pretty big difference.) I've tried RCA 1950's blackplates, Telefunken, Mullard cv4003, tried RCA 1950s 6350 with an adapter, Amperex Bugle boy, and NOS Raytheons. Also tried a bunch of new production tubes (I already had a bunch from previous amps), and you can really tune the amp to your preference. (Personally, I think RCA blackplates, or cleartops too, are great in this amp for the price. I like the Telefunken just because of the huge soundstage it projects but that's my personal preference)

For the OHMs switch, just try it on all 3 settings and pick which you prefer. Even though you probably want middle with the HD800s being 300ohm, doesn't hurt to try the other two to make sure. Sometimes you'd be surprised.

Once the tubes break in a bit, it's a great amp. I'm quite happy with it.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #318 of 376
Personally, I would say always keep it in high gain unless you're plugging in something super sensitive like an IEM. I prefer the additional headroom even if the volume is low. (I'm running HE1000 v2s out of it currently).

Even when I still had the Focal Clears, which are simple to drive, it sounded way better on high gain with the volume way down than it did on low gain with more volume. Audeze LCD-2's, LCD-24's, HD600's, all had similar effects for me.

I've done a bit of tube rolling on this, and there are a few that sound quite nice. (The power tubes, don't bother the stock ones are really the best. But in the V1 socket, that 12au7 can make a pretty big difference.) I've tried RCA 1950's blackplates, Telefunken, Mullard cv4003, tried RCA 1950s 6350 with an adapter, Amperex Bugle boy, and NOS Raytheons. Also tried a bunch of new production tubes (I already had a bunch from previous amps), and you can really tune the amp to your preference. (Personally, I think RCA blackplates, or cleartops too, are great in this amp for the price. I like the Telefunken just because of the huge soundstage it projects but that's my personal preference)

For the OHMs switch, just try it on all 3 settings and pick which you prefer. Even though you probably want middle with the HD800s being 300ohm, doesn't hurt to try the other two to make sure. Sometimes you'd be surprised.

Once the tubes break in a bit, it's a great amp. I'm quite happy with it.
How about the headphone ohm selector? I didn't try my RCA grey plate long plates or my Brimar CV4003. I just put my Sylvania Gold Brand 6201in and am letting it warm up.

My amp came with an electro-harmonic tube...

Attachments

• 12au7-guide2-tube-sound.gif
    12au7-guide2-tube-sound.gif
    24.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #320 of 376
You'd probably want to use the mid position on the ohm selector for the hd800 being 300ohm. But don't let that deter you from trying low and hi. On some headphones I tried with this amp, different combinations surprised me.
The mid position with the high gain sounded best with HD800s. Good call! I was using the Mojo 2/Poly with the Auris so I would have a more streamline set up. I ended up pulling out my Lumin streamer and my Audio Note 3.1x/ii Dac; that combo was absolutely magical. I was never that happy with the HD800S until now that combo. I mainly used the HD800s when gaming. I use a 3.5 out of the controller and into the amp so I can get enough volume out of the HD800s. The 3D audio is intact, the tube amp helps with the soundstage and the soundstage is all the more holographic.

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #321 of 376
I'm really surprised this amp hasn't gotten more attention. I've had it for about a month now, and I'm extremely happy. I'm using Audeze LCD-24 (which really shines when you give it a lot of voltage even though you wouldn't think so based on the specs), the LCD-2, and Focal Clears. (My source is a Chord Qutest DAC)

A few things I've noticed. First, unless your headphones are super high sensitivity, don't use the low gain mode on the back. Keeping it in high gain mode, even with the volume lower, significantly increases the width and depth of the soundstage on my unit. (I know you don't get to see as much of the VU meters that way, but who cares I'm more interested in the sound.) The amp is very transparent, very neutral and fast sounding. With the Qutest and the lcd-24's, I get a great punch to the bass but with fantastic detail.

I did some tube rolling experimentation as well. I happen to have a bunch of NOS 12AU7 tubes from some of my previous tube amps. I'll be honest, most of them are a small difference depending on preference, until we come to the 6350 tube. You will need a 6350 to 12au7 sock adapter for it (the only difference is the pins that correspond to the grid and plate of each triode are reversed from the 12AU7 connections.) They were developed for IBM and other computer companies, and I find them to be a significant upgrade. My personal favorites are the RCA (little warmer) or the GE (more analytical). (I hear the Sylvania ones are also nice but I do not own one so I can't compare.) The difference in soundstage, depth, bottom end and top end extension when I put in the 6350 in place of the 12zu7 (or ecc82 as it's named in EU) is quite significant.

I do not suggest changing out the power tubes. I did try, and I found that speed that I really like is this amp is gone when you change the 4 power tubes.

Unit gets a bit warm by the tubes, but not any more or less than any other tube amps I've used. Funny addition, I've seen some people not getting remotes with the unit, for some reason mine had two in the box!

Lastly, I contacted their support before I changed tubes to get a little more info, and they got back to me very quickly, were extremely friendly. I'm VERY happy with this purchase. Don't sleep on this amp, it's great. Amp on high gain, even with volume at 9-10 o'clock, 6350 tube in pre section (V1 socket), and I've been in sonic heaven since I got it.
If anyone is interested in purchasing a used Auris HA2-SF, there is one listed on US Audiomart for $1199 (retail $2500) including
shipping to the lower 48 states.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649940734-auris-ha-2sf-headphone-tube-amp/

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #323 of 376
Mar 1, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #325 of 376
How do planars such as Lcd5 govwith this amp
I have the Abyss 1266 which is supposed to be harder to drive than the lcd5 and it drives it well at 1/2 the volume.

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #326 of 376
Guys I want to tell you my impressions after inserting a Tung-Sol 12AU7W (ECC82) (6189) together with the 4 valves JJ (ECC99).

I start by saying that my chain is made up of a Meze Elite headphone, a R2R Pontus II DAC and a Hermes DDC.

After the necessary break-in period I felt like a veil had been lifted, I heard more clarity in the high mids and much more detail. I clearly heard reverbs and effects that I had never heard before. The medium and low frequencies have benefited, everything is cleaner and unaltered.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #328 of 376
Anyone have any experience with this amp and ZMF headphones? It has entered the race as an amp for my Atrium Closed.
It is a beauty to look at and the tube rolling with this wouldn't be overly expensive.

Aug 2, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #329 of 376
I had this amp and I tried it with ZMF Verite Open & Closed. It sounded beautiful!!!!
I regret selling it.

Aug 2, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #330 of 376
I had this amp and I tried it with ZMF Verite Open & Closed. It sounded beautiful!!!!
I regret selling it.
I'll never sell it!!! It is such a beautiful amp aesthetically and sonically. I mostly use Sennheiser HD 800s with it, but I just can't imagine that any headphones could sound anything but amazing with it! The thread (amp) deserves to be more active!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back