Auris HA2 SF
Jun 11, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #196 of 376
Just copy past ....lazy Friday

I really liked the Empyrean with the Euforia, it`s a great combo. There are two reasons why i sold it. I changed the Listening setup where i needed longer cable between the DAC and Amp and also from the Amp to the Headphones. So i decided to use balanced cables and switch to the Auris HA-2SF with balanced in/out`s. Second, after i decided to keep the HEDDphone, i realized i need more Headroom/authority. The HEDDphone is not for everyone, the weight is clearly a issue..

If i would not have changed the setup (distances) and decided to sell the HEDD, i would have keep the Euforia. The biggest difference between the Euforia and the Auris (beside the Power Output) is the tuning. While the Euforia is a typical Tube Amp (in the best sense) the Auris is more on the neutral side. However, while i love the Cayin i-HA 6 with all my Headphones, the Auris is in the sweet Spot between the Cayin and the Euforia. If you like the tuning of the Euforia, and have no need for more Power keep the Euforia - it is a great Amp ! Keep in mind the Auris is much bigger and has a external Powed Supply. Also this is not a Amp for tube rollers, there are not a lot alternatives to the stock tubes..

Is it worth to sell the Euforia for the only reason to drive the HEDD ? Probably not, a Topping D 90 will do the Job (i tried it, its a great combo). If you want just one Amp for the most Headphones on the Planet : ) ? You will not regret the purchase of the Auris Audio.
Addendum:

The bigger Headroom from the Auris is the perfect match with the Empyrean, just incredible with the Musician Pegasus...

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #197 of 376
Addendum:

The bigger Headroom from the Auris is the perfect match with the Empyrean, just incredible with the Musician Pegasus...
By bigger headroom do you mean soundstage or just more power in general? Pretty new to the hobby so get a bit confused when it comes to terminology :upside_down:.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #198 of 376
By bigger headroom do you mean soundstage or just more power in general? Pretty new to the hobby so get a bit confused when it comes to terminology :upside_down:.
Actually both :sunglasses:. The Auris is substantially more powerful and yes it is also better in "imaging". I try to describe it like this: when i listen with the Empyrean to a state of the art solid state Amplifier like the Cayin iHA-6 or Tube like the Euforia, the Music is somewhat "close". It sounds very good to me but it is obvious i listen to cans. When i switch to the Auris everything opens up a lot. With certain kind of music or recordings (check out "Amazonia" from jean-Michel Jarre) im in a cloud of music, forgeting that i am listening to Headphones - it can be Hypnotic. Also Live Recordings are just spectacular. I hope this helps...:relaxed:

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #199 of 376
I just pulled the trigger on a HA2-SF.... I am looking forward to enjoying it with my LCD-4 and the
ZMF VC-to-come... in the next few weeks!!!! It is great that this amp ships sooo fast.... it just takes 3 days to be delivered.

Jun 15, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #201 of 376
Hey Traiguen

Good choice ! After my eperience the amp needs 30-50 hours to reach its full potential.
Thanks! It will be here tomorrow...I hope I like it. I have tried several Tube amps and I haven't been impressed... hopefully this will be the one.

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #202 of 376
interested in your impressions of how the LCD-4 and ZMF Verite (both in the elite category) pair with the Auris.

as an aside, top-tier headphones used to cost significantly less than good amps. now, they cost as much or significantly more. i often consider a Hedd or the Empyrean but it is more out of curiosity and taking part in the hobby than any perceived deficiencies with my current headphones.

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #203 of 376
interested in your impressions of how the LCD-4 and ZMF Verite (both in the elite category) pair with the Auris.

as an aside, top-tier headphones used to cost significantly less than good amps. now, they cost as much or significantly more. i often consider a Hedd or the Empyrean but it is more out of curiosity and taking part in the hobby than any perceived deficiencies with my current headphones.
Tomorrow I will get the Aries, for now I only have the LCD-4, the ZMF VC hasn't gotten here yet. I will let you know my impressions and how the Aries compares to my SS Sparkos Aries, hopefully I will be able to hear differences.

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #204 of 376
I meant to say... I will get the Auris..... (names are way too similar!)

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #205 of 376
I meant to say... I will get the Auris..... (names are way too similar!)
I didn't notice that. There has to be some kind of "subconscious autocorrect" going on :sunglasses:. Did you order direct from Auris ? 3 Days for continental shipping is impressive....

I hope you will be satisfied so you can end chasing the next thing and just enjoy listen to music. I went trough 10 different Amps before , the Auris ended the cycle...

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #206 of 376
I didn't notice that. There has to be some kind of "subconscious autocorrect" going on :sunglasses:. Did you order direct from Auris ? 3 Days for continental shipping is impressive....

I hope you will be satisfied so you can end chasing the next thing and just enjoy listen to music. I went trough 10 different Amps before , the Auris ended the cycle...
I have been through 4 Tube amps.... I hope this one is the keeper!
I order from a distributor here in the US so to New York does not take long. I will let you know my impressions.

Jun 15, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #207 of 376
Thanks! It will be here tomorrow...I hope I like it. I have tried several Tube amps and I haven't been impressed... hopefully this will be the one.
I have been through 4 Tube amps.... I hope this one is the keeper!
I order from a distributor here in the US so to New York does not take long. I will let you know my impressions.
If possible I recommend some tube rolling. I used 60's Mullard and bugle boys to get some of that euphony and richer mids.

Will look forward to your thoughts.

Jun 15, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #208 of 376
If possible I recommend some tube rolling. I used 60's Mullard and bugle boys to get some of that euphony and richer mids.

Will look forward to your thoughts.
Auris Audio clearly does not recommend tube rolling. This Amp is built for / with the original tubes. However, alternative types are cheap - nevertheless, investing in a better source / Tidal or Qobuz subscription etc. seems a much better investment to me.

When you seek euphony from youre amp, was the Auris hs2-sf the right choice ? I mean the biggest improvement from its predecessor is it s neutral tuning...

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #209 of 376
Auris Audio clearly does not recommend tube rolling. This Amp is built for / with the original tubes. However, alternative types are cheap - nevertheless, investing in a better source / Tidal or Qobuz subscription etc. seems a much better investment to me.

When you seek euphony from youre amp, was the Auris hs2-sf the right choice ? I mean the biggest improvement from its predecessor is it s neutral tuning...
Auris said stick to 12AU7s. I don't think they said don't change the tubes whatsoever.
I wanted better mids definition so I decided to try out some alternative tubes. When it comes to sound tuning, "improvement" is subjective to individual preferences isn't it?

Jun 15, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #210 of 376
First time poster here long time stalker.
I have had my HA2SF for 2 months now. Listened to my stock tubes for most of it and enjoyed it but felt like something was lacking. 2 weeks ago swapped the 12au7 JJ to a NOS Phillips miniwatt 12au7 tube and the difference is a stark improvement. I would highly recommend anyone with this amp to try some other 12au7. For only $40Aud I feel like I have massively improved the soundstage, imaging and dynamic range. I use meze empyrean and hd800s. DAC is schiit yggdrasil a2.
If anyone here is in Australia there is a near new HA2SF on the stereonet forums for sale at $2600AUD which I feel is a steal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back